REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Question about wheel swapping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710572-question-about-wheel-swapping.html)

SpartanAir 10-07-2016 11:32 AM

Question about wheel swapping

So I've been spending hours and hours looking in the wrong places for information about swapping different wheels onto a motorcycle. And I need help.

I have a 94 Honda CB1000, a grey market bike here in Canada. It has an odd wheel size, 18x3.5 and 18x5.5, and there aren't many tire options out there. I'm going in a scrambler/tracker direction with my bike, so I'd like some knobbier tires, and different wheels than my 3 spoke kind. The only way I can see doing this is by going down to 17" wheels, for which there are many tire options.

But I've found ZERO info about how to know if certain wheels can adapt to certain bikes, how to ensure it has the same mounting points, bolt patterns, hub/sprocket adapters etc etc.

For example, I'd like to put on some 17x3.5 and 17x5.5 wheels. I would assume you would need to match the width, or if wanting to go narrower, use some kind of spacer so it sits properly between the forks. Then it would just be matching the bolt pattern of the rear sprocket and front hub where the brake disc attaches in my case.

Like the Buell XB12 has 17x5.5 in the rear but I can't tell how the wheel attaches.

So how do I know what those bolt patterns are? Would it be safe to machine some sort of adapter to line up the rear sprocket and attach it to the wheel?

So many specific questions, but all I need is to be pointed in the right direction by someone who's done this. Thanks

SumAznGuy 10-07-2016 01:33 PM

Using this picture for reference
The front and rear mounting points look similar to other mid 90's Honda sport bikes.

I would bring out a tap measure and start measuring fork widths and measure them again a CBR600F3.
It might be a straight swap or it may need some machining or spacers.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I have the wrong bike though.

SpartanAir 10-08-2016 06:53 PM

^ Nope, that's my bike! Thanks, yeah I've been looking on ebay and it looks like the CBR600 could be a good match. Hard to know sight unseen though, a little nervous to buy wheels without being able to take measurements first.

Gonna check around locally too. Anyone know any good motorcycle wrecking yards?

SumAznGuy 10-09-2016 02:00 PM

This is the first link that I get when I search CL.
2000 CBR F4 For Parts

There was another guy in Richmond that has a parts yard.

SumAznGuy 10-11-2016 09:22 AM

The first link should be what you are looking for.

'94 CB1000F Endurance Race-Rep

the second link has some other info that might be useful for you.

Need help with 95 CB1000..... - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums