REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 10-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Question about wheel swapping

So I've been spending hours and hours looking in the wrong places for information about swapping different wheels onto a motorcycle. And I need help.

I have a 94 Honda CB1000, a grey market bike here in Canada. It has an odd wheel size, 18x3.5 and 18x5.5, and there aren't many tire options out there. I'm going in a scrambler/tracker direction with my bike, so I'd like some knobbier tires, and different wheels than my 3 spoke kind. The only way I can see doing this is by going down to 17" wheels, for which there are many tire options.

But I've found ZERO info about how to know if certain wheels can adapt to certain bikes, how to ensure it has the same mounting points, bolt patterns, hub/sprocket adapters etc etc.

For example, I'd like to put on some 17x3.5 and 17x5.5 wheels. I would assume you would need to match the width, or if wanting to go narrower, use some kind of spacer so it sits properly between the forks. Then it would just be matching the bolt pattern of the rear sprocket and front hub where the brake disc attaches in my case.

Like the Buell XB12 has 17x5.5 in the rear but I can't tell how the wheel attaches.

So how do I know what those bolt patterns are? Would it be safe to machine some sort of adapter to line up the rear sprocket and attach it to the wheel?

So many specific questions, but all I need is to be pointed in the right direction by someone who's done this. Thanks
Advertisement
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Using this picture for reference
Spoiler!

The front and rear mounting points look similar to other mid 90's Honda sport bikes.

I would bring out a tap measure and start measuring fork widths and measure them again a CBR600F3.
It might be a straight swap or it may need some machining or spacers.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I have the wrong bike though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
^ Nope, that's my bike! Thanks, yeah I've been looking on ebay and it looks like the CBR600 could be a good match. Hard to know sight unseen though, a little nervous to buy wheels without being able to take measurements first.

Gonna check around locally too. Anyone know any good motorcycle wrecking yards?
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #4

This is the first link that I get when I search CL.
2000 CBR F4 For Parts

There was another guy in Richmond that has a parts yard.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #5

The first link should be what you are looking for.

'94 CB1000F Endurance Race-Rep

the second link has some other info that might be useful for you.

Need help with 95 CB1000..... - Speedzilla Motorcycle Message Forums
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing