REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Audio, Video, & Security Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/audio-video-security-tech_10/)
-   -   Sub Box Design (https://www.revscene.net/forums/710618-sub-box-design.html)

Berzerker 10-12-2016 11:19 AM

Sub Box Design

With a sealed box, how much does box design come into play? With custom fiberglass enclosures that have very odd shape rear walls, does that affect sound resonance from the woofer?
Is having the proper amount of cubic inches more important than overall design?

Here is what I'm getting down to with those questions. To build a box without taking up all the space in rear of my CR-V I was thinking of building a typical behind the seat type box. Now, I don't want it to extend out from the seats to far (basically as little over the depth of the sub as possible) so could I incorporate the spare tire well into the box design for air space? The box would end up being sort of 2 chambered. The part holding the sub would be one chamber and the rest of the box in the spare tire well would be the other, sharing the same air space though. I would mount the amp on the top of the "box" in the spare tire well so it's flush with the floor but the space under it would be used for air space.

Hope this is clear in what I'm actually asking. I'm sure if you visualize you will get the idea.

Berz out.

Jmac 10-12-2016 11:27 AM

The design of a sealed enclosure shouldn't matter too much provided it's air tight and it doesn't flex/resonate (especially important if you're mounting the amplifier to the enclosure). The internal volume is what will matter the most.

320icar 10-12-2016 11:39 AM

just do it mighty car mods style :p

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5615/3...436564fe_c.jpgUntitled by 320iCar, on Flickr

Berzerker 10-12-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8794491)
The design of a sealed enclosure shouldn't matter too much provided it's air tight and it doesn't flex/resonate (especially important if you're mounting the amplifier to the enclosure). The internal volume is what will matter the most.

That was exactly my understanding as well. Just wasn't sure about there being 2 separate areas where the airspace will by made up and shared from.

Berz out.

orgasm_donor 10-12-2016 09:54 PM

There are other factors to consider!

Having built hundreds of enclosures over the years I have found that volume and type of enclosure (ported, sealed or whatever) play just as much of a role in overall sound quality and SPL (loudness of bass) as the placement of the enclosure. For instance, if you build that enclosure and face the subwoofer forward, you may be disappointed with the results. Face the sub backwards and you may be shocked at the output in comparison.

Some general rules of thumb when designing and building an enclosure:
- I always try to go on the larger size when it comes to recommended enclosure volume (ie: specs say .5 - 1 cubic foot...I try very hard to get as close to a cube.). You will usually be able to hit lower and get louder this way with some exceptions to the rule.
- Go ported if you can! You'll usually always hit lower and louder. You may not need as much power for the sub if you port as well (contrary to theory)
- If you must go small, use some polyfill in the enclosure to get a bit more bass extension.
- When making a fibreglass enclosure, please don't use anything less than three layers of glass for anything up to 500 watts. High power subs will need even more layers.

There are many other factors to consider as well. Power, crossovers, EQ and subwoofer parameters are all very important. If you need any help with design, you know where to find me. :)