REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 10-12-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Sub Box Design

With a sealed box, how much does box design come into play? With custom fiberglass enclosures that have very odd shape rear walls, does that affect sound resonance from the woofer?
Is having the proper amount of cubic inches more important than overall design?

Here is what I'm getting down to with those questions. To build a box without taking up all the space in rear of my CR-V I was thinking of building a typical behind the seat type box. Now, I don't want it to extend out from the seats to far (basically as little over the depth of the sub as possible) so could I incorporate the spare tire well into the box design for air space? The box would end up being sort of 2 chambered. The part holding the sub would be one chamber and the rest of the box in the spare tire well would be the other, sharing the same air space though. I would mount the amp on the top of the "box" in the spare tire well so it's flush with the floor but the space under it would be used for air space.

Hope this is clear in what I'm actually asking. I'm sure if you visualize you will get the idea.

Berz out.
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
The design of a sealed enclosure shouldn't matter too much provided it's air tight and it doesn't flex/resonate (especially important if you're mounting the amplifier to the enclosure). The internal volume is what will matter the most.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
just do it mighty car mods style

Untitled by 320iCar, on Flickr
Old 10-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The design of a sealed enclosure shouldn't matter too much provided it's air tight and it doesn't flex/resonate (especially important if you're mounting the amplifier to the enclosure). The internal volume is what will matter the most.
That was exactly my understanding as well. Just wasn't sure about there being 2 separate areas where the airspace will by made up and shared from.

Berz out.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
There are other factors to consider!

Having built hundreds of enclosures over the years I have found that volume and type of enclosure (ported, sealed or whatever) play just as much of a role in overall sound quality and SPL (loudness of bass) as the placement of the enclosure. For instance, if you build that enclosure and face the subwoofer forward, you may be disappointed with the results. Face the sub backwards and you may be shocked at the output in comparison.

Some general rules of thumb when designing and building an enclosure:
- I always try to go on the larger size when it comes to recommended enclosure volume (ie: specs say .5 - 1 cubic foot...I try very hard to get as close to a cube.). You will usually be able to hit lower and get louder this way with some exceptions to the rule.
- Go ported if you can! You'll usually always hit lower and louder. You may not need as much power for the sub if you port as well (contrary to theory)
- If you must go small, use some polyfill in the enclosure to get a bit more bass extension.
- When making a fibreglass enclosure, please don't use anything less than three layers of glass for anything up to 500 watts. High power subs will need even more layers.

There are many other factors to consider as well. Power, crossovers, EQ and subwoofer parameters are all very important. If you need any help with design, you know where to find me.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: