REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 10-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Xperia XZ, S8 Edge, Pixel, or?

So I need a new phone, I was actually going to get the Note but we know how that went...

I didn't realize Sony released a new phone (XZ) but the North American version seems hampered (with the figerprint sensor)

The pixel seems way too expensive

And the S8 Edge seems 'old' to me already

I'm not clear if there's anything cool outta China with oppo/xiaomi/1+ etc?

I'm also not up to date on what's good or what features/specs are great these days, hence the post ^^

Still using a Nexus5 but the mic/speakers and case are busted, I don't really want to replace parts either so I'm looking at something new

Any suggestions/tips?
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
one plus 3. Solid phone, super fast charging, and a lot cheaper than the others mentioned.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Used 6P, 5X.

Or I went over the dark side - I now rock iP7+ and I'm quite happy with it.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
one plus 3. Solid phone, super fast charging, and a lot cheaper than the others mentioned.
I recently upgraded from a Nexus 5 as well.

Both at $400US, the OnePlus 3 and Axon 7 are excellent midrange price phones with 2016 flagship level specs on par with the best phones out now. They both offer 5.5" AMOLED displays, snapdragon 820 CPU and Ardeno 530 GPU, 4GB ram, 64GB storage, dual SIMs, and fast charging.

I bought the Axon 7 which has several advantages over the OP3:
-higher QHD res display and Daydream VR ready
-microSD slot
-larger 3250mah battery
-2nd best dual front facing speakers in 2016 (Alcatel Idol 4S has the best)
-dedicated Hi-fi DAC
-2 year warranty with free two way shipping and advance replacement
-uses QC3.0 standard (OP3 has proprietary fast charge)

Downsides of Axon 7 are mediocre camera (better than my terrible Nexus 5 though), less community support, and currently warranty is voided if unlocking bootloader. (Although as long as you don't brick it, it can be flashed back to stock and bootloader relocked if you need warranty service)

Last edited by jlo mein; 10-12-2016 at 04:48 PM.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #5
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I'd get the S7 Edge.

I had the S7 and it was probably the nicest phone that I had for the three months that I used it.

Currently using an iPhone 7, but the camera on it still remains cream of the crop for this generation.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
Bieksa eats bears for breakfast...

One plus 3 seems pretty solid.

Your balls are sensitive things!! They shouldn't be played around with, at least not like that, and you should NOT BE DIPPING THEM IN AFTERSHAVE! Oh my god, I feel sorry for your balls!"

ODC: "Wrong, a roots type blower will produce max boost from 0rpm to redline."

Iceman_19: "A roots makes zero boost at zero rpm, lol"

Ulic Qel-Droma: "haha go google image big black dick. or black cock. i forgot which term i used. it's one of the many."
Iceman_2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #7

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
I recently upgraded from a Nexus 5 as well.

Both at $400US, the OnePlus 3 and Axon 7 are excellent midrange price phones with 2016 flagship level specs on par with the best phones out now. They both offer 5.5" AMOLED displays, snapdragon 820 CPU and Ardeno 530 GPU, 4GB ram, 64GB storage, dual SIMs, and fast charging.

I bought the Axon 7 which has several advantages over the OP3:
-higher QHD res display and Daydream VR ready
-microSD slot
-larger 3250mah battery
-2nd best dual front facing speakers in 2016 (Alcatel Idol 4S has the best)
-dedicated Hi-fi DAC
-2 year warranty with free two way shipping and advance replacement
-uses QC3.0 standard (OP3 has proprietary fast charge)

Downsides of Axon 7 are mediocre camera (better than my terrible Nexus 5 though), less community support, and currently warranty is voided if unlocking bootloader. (Although as long as you don't brick it, it can be flashed back to stock and bootloader relocked if you need warranty service)
isnt the software on the axon 7 pretty crap though? the bell for the notifications in particular seems super annoying. im in the same boat as OP but now im trying to decide between op3 and axon 7
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
I've been using the axon7 for about a week now and the notification thing hasn't bugged me one bit. So far so good with the phone, the screen seems to flicker a bit when showing a lot of white although it could just be my imagination..... either way I'm not worried at all cause of awesome warranty

Only thing I wish it had was double tap to wake
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 03:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
isnt the software on the axon 7 pretty crap though? the bell for the notifications in particular seems super annoying. im in the same boat as OP but now im trying to decide between op3 and axon 7
It isn't great but the stock launcher is kinda close, and I'm unlocked , rooted, with Xposed so it could be changed. There's a theme that removes the bell and gives you typical notifications.

Honestly I never look at my lockscreen anymore. With the fingerprint scanner taking me right to home screen I just pull the notifications down.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #10

wow looks like there's a few other phones to consider

Hmm dunno what to do now hehe

Thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
This is a pretty crappy time to buy a phone. If I absolutely had to I'd get a pixel since you'll get updates right away. Honestly I'd buy a beater phone and wait till the Galaxy S8 is announced.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Had the 1+3 since3 launch. So far so good. The only thing I don't like is that the battery does drain kinda of fast. Usually when I woke up is around 96%. On the way to the office I listen to music which saround 40min and the battery would drop to 86 to 87%.

I also have close all apps but it doesn't seem to help. So if you are getting a 1+3 get a battery pack.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Had the 1+3 since3 launch. So far so good. The only thing I don't like is that the battery does drain kinda of fast. Usually when I woke up is around 96%. On the way to the office I listen to music which saround 40min and the battery would drop to 86 to 87%.

I also have close all apps but it doesn't seem to help. So if you are getting a 1+3 get a battery pack.
But the Dash charger is so fast. Charge 10 to 15 minutes for a quick top up.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #14

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
^ i hear that touted as an advantage but the times i need my battery to last all day are the times i dont have access to a charger.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 01:38 AM   #15

Thanks for the help guys!

I couldn't resist though and went with the Sony XZ, I know wtf? lol but the Sony fanboy in me couldn't resist

Though I'm really gonna miss barebones Android from Nexus, I really wanted the ip68 and bcuz Sony ^^
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Apparently, OnePlus had an approval for China's FAA(or whatever its called) for a new model #... rumors are an updated version of the OnepPlus 3...

The Huwawei Mate 9 looks nice..

Also, Samsung purchased VivLabs.. the company who made Siri.. so it looks like Samsung is getting into the whole AI Assistant thing as well.

Even though I loved my S7 Edge, I would most likely not buy another curved/edge phone. Good Cases and screen protectors are a bitch to find...
Old 10-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #17

with any of the Sony phones you'll be guaranteed the best camera of any maker hands down, not even close

but for the price I was peeved they don't include a fingerprint scanner... and even if they do (in other countries) that tiny power button apparently doesn't read fingerprints very well

anyway, give a review once you get it
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #18

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Are the Sony cameras the best though? I see they do the most megapixels but every phone camera shootout I ever read has Apple and Samsung on top as far as picture quality goes.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
with any of the Sony phones you'll be guaranteed the best camera of any maker hands down, not even close

but for the price I was peeved they don't include a fingerprint scanner... and even if they do (in other countries) that tiny power button apparently doesn't read fingerprints very well

anyway, give a review once you get it
I read u can turn the fingerprint scanner on for the US versions thru a firmware mod, bcuz all Sony did was disable it for some reason on the NA ones
Old 10-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Xperia has great camera and almost every phone mfgr uses Sony sensors

issue is the native Camera app is holding it back...can takes few seconds to load (defeats a huge part of the 30ms AF), no RAW, limited controls, 4K recording is a separate app. 3rd party apps apparently cant take advantage of full sensor readout. I guess it's none-issue for majority of the mobile phone users who just shoots in Auto.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 06:38 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Though I'm really gonna miss barebones Android from Nexus, I really wanted the ip68 and bcuz Sony ^^
Sony's Android skin is very lightweight...I came from an old Nexus and don't miss vanilla Android on my Z5.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Have you taken a look into the LG V20? The V10 was one of the most underrated phones of yesteryear and the V20 looks to be just as underrated.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Are the Sony cameras the best though? I see they do the most megapixels but every phone camera shootout I ever read has Apple and Samsung on top as far as picture quality goes.
yeah Apple and Samsung always get the best reviews, but I was playing around with my xperia camera vs iphone camera in low light conditions and xperia blew it out of the water...... this was a couple years back with the Z2S and iphone 5 or whatever it was back then though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Have you taken a look into the LG V20? The V10 was one of the most underrated phones of yesteryear and the V20 looks to be just as underrated.
that wide angle lens on the V20 and G5 looks very useful... hope it comes out on more phones
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2016, 09:07 AM   #24

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
Since were on cameras, moto x with hasselblad lens

I have try the huawei p9 with lieca lens, was disappointed compare to nokia carl zeiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:17 AM   #25

Hasselblad doesn't make their own lenses? I thought Zeiss and Fuji did? Polly just another hasselblad gimmicks like the Panasonic and Sony cameras/lenses that they rebadged

Quick update: I love this phone! The only thing I don't like is SwiftKey and the slightly different step to uninstall an app, the screen is also too saturated for my liking, haven't checked if it's adjustable yet tho

Last edited by StylinRed; 10-21-2016 at 01:31 AM.