REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
A Tesla Model S Is Coming To The LAPD Fleet, And It'll Be A Proper Patrol Car

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a-t...er-patrol-car/

Quote:
After being loaned a pair of Model S Teslas earlier in the year to see how well they handle the mean streets of Los Angeles, the LAPD will turn one into a fully-fledged patrol car. We’re talking lights, a shotgun rack - the works.

The move - reported by CNBC - comes as a surprise to a certain extent, as the police force had previously poured cold water on the prospect of the Model S being put into service, partly due fears of the cars becoming useless in the event of a power outage.

The second reason was the cost per unit, and that’s why we’re seeing just one Model S converted for patrol usage for now.

It’s all down to the LAPD’s efforts to start making the switch to electric vehicles, which is why the force recently took delivery of 100 BMW i3s for non-emergency roles. Once EV technology gets cheaper over the next few years, it’ll get easier for the LAPD to add cars like the Model S to its fleet in greater numbers.

So, miscreants of LA, you may find yourselves chased down by near-silent EV police missiles before too long…
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
Witness protection

and it's not just tesla... how much $$$ does the LAPD have?!?

real:

promo only:
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 10-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
soon...

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Can see it being good around the city. But I'm sure it'll go through its charge everyday if it was to patrol.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Witness protection

i guess donut shops will start having charging stations installed if this becomes popular

Last edited by thumper; 10-18-2016 at 12:47 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Car drives itself on autopilot while cop look around for cellphone usage and shooting speed gun. Seems legit.

Maybe next is the car shooting speed gun on its own and send you the bill in the mail. Who needs an officer.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Car drives itself on autopilot while cop look around for cellphone usage and shooting speed gun. Seems legit.

Maybe next is the car shooting speed gun on its own and send you the bill in the mail. Who needs an officer.

paaaass... too much like skynet:

Old 10-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,208 Times in 1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
and it's not just tesla... how much $$$ does the LAPD have?!?
Probably a lot based on all the poor 'criminals' they arrest...
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote