REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Jessi Lang from Motor Trend

i don't know if anyone still remembers what happened to Jessi awhile back:

Karen Smidutz has started a gofund me page to help her financially because of this.

more info here:

https://www.gofundme.com/jessilang?r...91bc764e065880
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Any details on why she needs $100K?
I know she was in that bad accident a while ago but I thought she was making great progress on her recovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Any details on why she needs $100K?
I know she was in that bad accident a while ago but I thought she was making great progress on her recovery.
i posted the link that summarizes what she has been going through:

https://www.gofundme.com/jessilang?r...91bc764e065880

Quote:
Jessi was a host, producer, writer, and driver for Motor Trend when she was involved in a near-death, life-changing crash.

This account is being set up for the sole purpose of helping with her mounting medical bills, living expenses, and student loans (as Jessi recently completed her PhD and her loans are now due for repayment). Any and all donations are greatly appreciated.

I ask that you PLEASE take the time to watch the video at the link below first. It will explain Jessi's story better than I can.

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/NW7-MTcH94k

Jessi spent more than a year bedridden and confined to a wheelchair. She couldn't walk or do anything for herself— even the smallest things.

She had to learn how to walk again and how to do everything again. But her spirit was never broken. She continued to push herself daily and she still does.

Jessi endured 3 excruciating reconstructive surgeries on her mangled leg (which is now held together by titanium rods and screws). And she suffered more than a dozen other major injuries in the crash.

Her right knee no longer faces straight-ahead like yours & mine. Her knee now faces the left, as seen in the photo below.

Having to compensate for her now intensely messed-up gait, she has developed serious problems with her hips & spine. She will require physical therapy and doctor's visits for the remainder of her life in order to be able to walk, to progress, and to manage her chronic pain.

Although she can drive again, she was unable to work for more than a year. Having lost her wages during that time, it became impossible for her to keep up with mounting medical bills & everyday living expenses. Her days are still spent at physical therapy and doctors appointments that she cannot afford, and her health is and has been greatly compromised by both the cost of health care and the failures of the Worker’s Compensation system.

Jessi is an amazing, remarkable, strong, unbelievable woman with a huge heart of gold. She doesn't think twice about helping someone out. She would give her shirt off her back if you needed it.

She just gives & gives & gives. Help me to help her. Let's give back to Jessi!!

Any and all donations are deeply appreciated.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,153 Posts
Damn, I liked her on the segments that I saw on MT and Autoblog.

US Healthcare system scares me - glad we have healthcare that doesn't bankrupt us like this in Canada...
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Damn, I liked her on the segments that I saw on MT and Autoblog.

US Healthcare system scares me - glad we have healthcare that doesn't bankrupt us like this in Canada...
she has to come back from this... i had idea it was this bad until someone told me about this gofundme page yesterday :

Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Looks like this occurred in Germany, she was ripping it in an R8 on public roads and crashed into someone who pulled out in front of her. Why she no has insurance? Where the gofundme for guy she hit?
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,253 Times in 485 Posts
Autobahn is a public road yes, but definitely would not say she was "ripping", as if to imply she was breaking a law, it has strict rules about the left lane, not her fault in the slightest
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #8

i didnt watch the whole video but it doesnt look like the autobahn
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #9

Correct, it was not the autobahn.
It was some road where the speed limit is 100 km/h.
MotorTrend Host Nearly Killed In Audi R8 Crash Recounts Her Recovery
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #10
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
i didnt watch the whole video but she said the other car was doing 1/3rd her speed? so was she doing 300km/h in a 100km/h speed limit?
Old 10-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
i didnt watch the whole video but she said the other car was doing 1/3rd her speed? so was she doing 300km/h in a 100km/h speed limit?
With the damage from the impact, it is quite possible that she was going THAT fast.
I highly doubt you'd get that much damage from her doing 100 km/h and the other driver was going less than 40 km/h.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #12
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,774 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
Looks like this occurred in Germany, she was ripping it in an R8 on public roads and crashed into someone who pulled out in front of her. Why she no has insurance? Where the gofundme for guy she hit?
+1 to this.. there is no way the math works out in her favour if the guy was going 1/3rd her speed and the limit on the road was 100kmph
Old 10-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #13

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Interesting topic, on the Autobahn, if a driver moving at the "regular" speed drifts over to the left (perhaps for a lane change) and collides with a driver going 3x the regular speed, who would they typically feel is at fault?

- The driver who changed lanes without ensuring it was safe to do so.
- The driver who was travelling at a rate of speed not safe based on their surroundings.

Personally, if I was the judge, the person going 3x the rate of speed would be found at fault, it is unreasonable to believe a person can accurately judge safe distance by looking at a mirror when the person in the mirror is travelling at an unreasonable speed.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #14

the autobahn is still a public road, not a racetrack. im not familiar with the laws but i dont think "no speed limit" means go as fast as you want and nobody is allowed to get in your way.

i hope the person she hit sued and gets every dime she raises