REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 10-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Mechatronics: BCIT/SFU/UBC/or...?

So I'm considering yet another career change, this time for engineering. However, with the application start time for 2017's fall semester fast approaching, I'm having trouble deciding which school to focus on.

BCIT: From what I've heard they focus mostly on all the technical aspects, but don't allow for much in the way of creative thinking. Full transfer credits to UVIC and Lakehead, but only partial to UBC and SFU should I decide on a graduate degree and not simply a diploma.

SFU: Theoretically I can complete the graduate degree there without having to transfer. Been told it's a little more competitive to get into the program here. Haven't heard much else about SFU.

UBC: Similar to SFU, just with greater access to better equipment.

I'm going to apply for all three schools. But in the event I get accepted into more than one, I'd like to know what I should be aware of in each of these schools. Since my experience with post secondary schools are limited to Capilano University, Thompson River University and Kwantlen, I'm kinda staring at a blank hole in my mind. Is it worth worrying about transfer credits and going for a graduate degree in this field? I don't have any current desire to get into management as I prefer to be hands-on in a workshop,
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
HELP ME PLS!!!

I went to UVic for Mech, took some courses in Mechatronics. I really liked the smaller classes and atmosphere. They have a mandatory coop program so that might extend the program to 5 years if you take summer breaks, or if you do coops as per the program, then 4 but with no breaks. Usually, it's harder to get 4 month coops because employers see that as 4 months of training then you're gone.

UBC has prestige and reputation for sure. But in the end, it's whatever gets you a job. So either have one lined up, or take your last coop on your last term and hopefully that will transition you into a job.

My best bud is a graduate from UBC Mechatronics, and even he had a hard time finding work after as well.

I've heard from other people that BCIT workload is insane, as with any other transfer program for engineering into a university.

The universities may be competitive, but you might be able to apply as a mature student. Which will give you an edge.

If you like the hands on stuff, then a diploma is definitely the way to go. With a degree I find that it's a lot of design work, or project and people management. In addition, it's 2 years instead of 4. I would try 2 to see if you like it and are willing to tough out the rest of the 2 afterwards. But that's my opinion.

When you say graduate, do you mean bachelors or masters?