REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
getting rid of drywall

Trying to help my parents on this topic.

They've got old drywall in my dads workshop that's been there for many years that they need to get rid of. We can take it to the landfill but I'm trying to figure out what's written on their site compared to what the guy at the transfer station said compared to the guy I spoke with on vancouvers recycling line.

Transfer station says just a bag labeled drywall
Website says 6mil double bagged
I called the vancouver recycling line while I was at Rona since everywhere I went and called said 3mil is the biggest bag they carry. The guy said that the 3mil double bagged would be sufficient as it meets the required thickness when double bagged, and the bags themselves say for drywall on them.

My dad had to take a trip to the transfer station to dump some old wood off and the guy asked if he was trying to dump the drywall there and he said no. The guy said those bags are unacceptable and the landfill will refuse them.

Where do they get the 6mil bags from? I've been to and called several Home Depots and Ronas and they all say the same thing. 3 mil is the heaviest duty bag they carry.

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Advertisement
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

http://www.nwgypsum.com/

take it direct to these guys, fraction of the price of taking it to the landfill as the landfill ends up taking it to NW gypsum anyways
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post

take it direct to these guys, fraction of the price of taking it to the landfill as the landfill ends up taking it to NW gypsum anyways
Thanks!!!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,306 Times in 5,629 Posts
Drywall disposa is a fucking joke in the lower mainland. They make it virtually impossible to reasonably dispose of anything but brand new off-cuts.

If I'm doing a minor renovation in an older home I'm not gonna pay stupid prices and then write down an address I got the material from so some building inspector can come check on my house and red flag the property.

Almost all the dumping you see these days are bags of drywall because the way they've gone with it
Old 10-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Agreed, they've taken it to far the other way. Most Provinces outside of BC don't even recycle drywall, it goes into the regular garbage.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

and you think that's good?
Old 10-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
LYC
I don't get it

Quote:

New West Gypsum will need a date stamp on the drywall or a lab result saying its free of asbestos. Unless its just off cuts then you're probably fine.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Everyone who disposes of it locally is just sending it off to Alberta to get buried anyways
Old 10-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
It could be worse. My point is the rest of the Country doesn't even recycle the shit and here it's treated like it's radioactive. I don't really have a problem with recycling the drywall but be reasonable. The way they've changed the rules for recycling it here is over the top IMO. Keep in mind I only deal with new construction so asbestos has never been an issue for us.

Are you opposed to how it's done in the rest of the Country?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #10

i think recycling anything is good...I'm also in new construction so disposal is quite easy for anything other than drywall and concrete/brick materials

having the transfer/sort facilities i think is a good thing
Old 10-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Everyone who disposes of it locally is just sending it off to Alberta to get buried anyways
We're starting to send most of our stuff down south via rail now its just the asbestos goes to Alberta because of their Landfills

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
We're starting to send most of our stuff down south via rail now its just the asbestos goes to Alberta because of their Landfills
so the vast majority of renovation materials then.

new gypsum obviously outweighs the old stuff heavily but there is still a tonne of old stuff being taken out constantly.

the companies which transport the asbestos stuff operate so fucking shady too, i had to contact and get quotes from 3 different companies when we did an abatement and each of them have hella shady practices as there isnt really a governing body for asbestos other than worksafe and transport canada (which obviously dont communicate amongst eachother)

one company, cant remember which one it was, told me a standard truck would take, lets say 40 tons and that would be X amount of money to truck to alberta

he then said, if you want we can take up to 65 tones, same price, however, if we get pulled over and are inspected and found to be over weight for our contents, you guys have to pay the fines.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
so the vast majority of renovation materials then.

new gypsum obviously outweighs the old stuff heavily but there is still a tonne of old stuff being taken out constantly.

the companies which transport the asbestos stuff operate so fucking shady too, i had to contact and get quotes from 3 different companies when we did an abatement and each of them have hella shady practices as there isnt really a governing body for asbestos other than worksafe and transport canada (which obviously dont communicate amongst eachother)

one company, cant remember which one it was, told me a standard truck would take, lets say 40 tons and that would be X amount of money to truck to alberta

he then said, if you want we can take up to 65 tones, same price, however, if we get pulled over and are inspected and found to be over weight for our contents, you guys have to pay the fines.

They probably spec'd their trucks for legal Alberta weights but not legal in BC and hoping they won't get pulled over in BC

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,600 Times in 542 Posts
IIRC
-transfer station only takes like 1-2 sheets of brand new drywall with date stamp
-landfill doesn't need date stamp or testing if double bagged in 6mil poly
-private recyclers will take new and old sheets as long as they have date stamp
-old drywall with illegible date stamp, you will need to get an asbestos test for $100ish for the private recyclers

As for 6 mil bags, I guess you're stuck buying online.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
As for 6 mil bags, I guess you're stuck buying online.
Problem was solved.

I had called the vancouver recycling number during the week and luckily I was able to talk to someone who knew their shit. Everything the guy told me was completely wrong and she apologized that it turned into a hassle for me. she made a few calls and called the Rona in Burnaby to check if they had them and yup, they did. They're the giant asbestos bags on a roll that a a couple bucks each bag and you just need to label it as drywall.

She said they're trying to get a deal with MetroVan to supply and sell the bags to make things easier.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:50 AM   #16

Hazmasters in burnaby has everything you need for bags, best prices too
Old 10-31-2016, 02:03 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

only bad thing about hazmasters is that you are buying an entire roll. I thought the landfill only takes drywall without asbestos/paint on it.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
only bad thing about hazmasters is that you are buying an entire roll. I thought the landfill only takes drywall without asbestos/paint on it.

They only asked a few things when I got on the weigh scale.

1) is it double bagged
2) is it 10 bags or less
3) I'll need your drivers license.

They gave me a tag to get signed and drywall stickers to put on the bag which were complete useless as they're such poor quality stickers that they wouldn't even stick, doesn't help that it was pissing rain and that they turned to mush after 10 seconds along with the 100 other bags in the open bin. The attendant at the asbestos bin didn't really care though. He said to just chuck it all in so I'm guessing it all goes to the same factory and they attempt to sort it out there.

I thought it would've been a nightmare to get rid of it but surprisingly once I found out the proper needs it was pretty simple.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:43 AM   #19

When you take it to the landfill they just got bury it themselves there. I've had to dump a trailer full there before.

How much was it to take? How many bags did you have?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:58 AM   #20

20 bags in total, but each bag was absolutely FULL and weighed enough that it took me and dad to hold the bottom and top from each side and waddle them in. it was 150$ the first day, and 130$ the next.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #21

so i went and disposed of some drywall myself today same way as Stewie (thanks for info stewie)

Rona is fucking useless, i went to Burnaby which is the location Stewie bought his bags from and the guy at customer service went out of his way to say this location does not carry them and only langley and maple ridge do. Okay.. so continue into Van

get all my drywall removed and into the home depot contractor bags, basicially feeling like i'm SOL without the 6mil bags..

Stewie mentioned to me that the Grandview location had some, so i roll there, ask around, no one knows anything about them.. walk up to contractor services and ask and as stewie mentioned to me, you kind of have to ask for "asbestos" bags, not drywall bags etc.

he then pointed me to a roll basically at the front door, this same roll is about $110 at Hazmasters for 50 bags, or $2.75 per bag at Rona

got 20 bags so i could double bag the already bagged drywall as to avoid any headaches

got them all loaded up and went from east van to the landfill.

Actually ended up being a pleasant experience at the landfill, professional staff and they were surprised i actually had everything in order.

What i liked about dropping off this small load as opposed to the other time when i dropped off a trailer full is you do not require documentation, which is how it should be imo for small residential stuff.

Stewie your fucking bags must have weighed a tonne because my 10 bags were about as heavy as i could carry and they only came to $49 lol
Old 11-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #22

all 20 of our bags needed me and my father to carry and even then it wasn't an easy task lol they were easily 150+ lbs a bag. 150$ per 2000lbs

also - until we were able to find the proper bags, they were sitting outside during that rain storm in the wrong bags that weren't sealed shut so they gained 2 or 3 pounds of water weight haha
Old 11-03-2016, 08:52 PM   #23
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

So much cheaper than what I went through when I was told the dump wouldn't take it. Cost me about 1000 for the bags and disposal. Plus I had he headache of weighing every bag to make sure it didn't go over the limit. Wish I knew earlier
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #24
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Old thread but Im blown away by this!

The Kelowna Landfill is pretty progressive and has a heavy emphasis on sorting and recycling. Everything needs to be sorted or the dumping fee is enormous.

We just tore apart a bunch of our basement and I hauled half a 14 foot dump trailer load of drywall to the Kelowna Landfill. No questions or hastle. They just weigh you in and out and send you to the drywall pile (a fucking mountain) and you dump. $145.00 per metric tonne. The drywall is then occasionally trucked out to wherever they take it.

My brother in law from Winnipeg is a carpenter and he was blown away by what Kelowna does. In Winnipeg they just haul full dumptruck loads of everything demo (lumber, drywall, concrete, garbage) unsorted and it all gets dumped in the same pile
Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #25
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,578 Times in 4,295 Posts
I have about 15 contractor bags of drywall I need to throw out, I'm so dreading taking it to the dump
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote