REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,696 Times in 1,625 Posts
Records kept for pulled over, no ticket?

So something annoying happened today.

Driving into Burnaby on Marine, as usual per Saturday lots of traffic.

The straight stretch between Victoria and Kerr, there are always cars parked on the right-most lane. I'm sitting in middle lane, and I can see two asshats pull to the right lane between parked cars, move up, and then cut/"merge" back into the middle lane. They do this repeatedly, visible from my rearview mirror.

I'm sitting in the middle lane and traffic starts moving up because the light has turned green, and the two asshats are pulling up to my right. Because traffic is already moving and I don't feel like braking/impeding flow/letting them in, I continue forward. They brake hard, and pull into the middle lane behind me. Whatever, shit's over - right?

After Kerr, I'm in the right lane because I have to turn right on Boundary into the industrial park there, and the first asshat is aggressively tailgating the car that was in front of me just in case i want to pull back into the middle lane.

There are tons of police cars/officers in the right lane just before Boundary, because they pulled over some Hell's Angels bikers. Asshat #1 stops, calls over a PO, and apparently tells him I've been driving recklessly, then drives off.

PO pulls me over, asks for license/registration, tells me "the public has complained about me", runs my info, comes back and tells me I can go. I tell him I have video footage of the guy who reported me driving recklessly, but he essentially says "I don't care"

So, I'm annoyed that said asshat had the audacity to report me - now my question is is a record kept every time a PO runs my information? My driving record is pretty damn clean - 1 speeding ticket 9 years ago, and 1 illegal U-turn 13 years ago -- that's it.

Would reporting said asshat with dashcam footage get me anywhere? I've little desire to waste the police's time, but it's rather annoying to think he thinks he got away with his shitty driving and instead got me a ticket.
Advertisement
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post

PO pulls me over, asks for license/registration, tells me "the public has complained about me", runs my info, comes back and tells me I can go.

Would reporting said asshat with dashcam footage get me anywhere? I've little desire to waste the police's time, but it's rather annoying to think he thinks he got away with his shitty driving and instead got me a ticket.
Did you get a ticket or not? Let's see the vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
is is a record kept every time a PO runs my information?
Sometimes yes, often no.

You have the right to request access to records in both the public and private sector. If you want to find out exactly what information that VPD has on you, you may submit a FIPPA request to them.

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA"), you the right to request records that contain your own personal information, as well as records such as reports, audits, and financial information of a public body.

Fill in this form twice; once for the Ministry of Justice requesting copies of records relating to your person stored in the JUSTIN database, and the other for the Misistry of Public Safety and Solicitor General requesting copies of records relating to your person stored in the PRIME database.

Send it off and wait.

They will reply quickly. Replies could range from the records themselves, a request for additional details about the records you are requesting, proof that you are who you say you are (because only you may request your own private information), a fee estimate if you are requesting an exceptionally large number of files, a fee estimate if your request is very complicated, or a request for an extension of the 30 day response deadline.

Then once you actually have the records in-hand, you can then inform the body you requested them from that the records that the public body holds are incorrect. However, you do not have the right to expunge information arbitrarily at your request if it is correct but simply unflattering or unsavoury.

I am not a lawyer and this is not a replacement for competent legal advice.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Did you get a ticket or not? Let's see the vid
No ticket. Not even a warning to not do something. PO just said "we wanted to make sure there's no medical emergency or anything, have a nice day." - after returning from his car with my license/reg.

You misunderstood me about the ticket - I am annoyed said asshat THINKS he got me a ticket.

Video is gonna be like 5 minutes long and I don't feel like editing it together (front and back) unless it's going to get me something. It was just regular driving in Vancouver until the police got involved unnecessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
Sometimes yes, often no.

You have the right to request access to records in both the public and private sector. If you want to find out exactly what information that VPD has on you, you may submit a FIPPA request to them.

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act ("FIPPA"), you the right to request records that contain your own personal information, as well as records such as reports, audits, and financial information of a public body.

Fill in this form twice; once for the Ministry of Justice requesting copies of records relating to your person stored in the JUSTIN database, and the other for the Misistry of Public Safety and Solicitor General requesting copies of records relating to your person stored in the PRIME database.

Send it off and wait.

They will reply quickly. Replies could range from the records themselves, a request for additional details about the records you are requesting, proof that you are who you say you are (because only you may request your own private information), a fee estimate if you are requesting an exceptionally large number of files, a fee estimate if your request is very complicated, or a request for an extension of the 30 day response deadline.

Then once you actually have the records in-hand, you can then inform the body you requested them from that the records that the public body holds are incorrect. However, you do not have the right to expunge information arbitrarily at your request if it is correct but simply unflattering or unsavoury.

I am not a lawyer and this is not a replacement for competent legal advice.
Thanks - honestly I'm not terribly worried as really I don't do anything illegal, just a tad annoyed. I'm just thinking outloud here, but wouldn't asking for these files be a red flag of sorts anyway?
Old 10-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
why not report the asshat which you have on video?

eye for an eye.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
two sides to every story, and apparently OP doesn't want to upload 5 minutes to youtube.

they made it drag and drop years ago, and you can even cut and edit the video on there.

you can use it for your complaint of the other driver, which they might keep a record of in case they cause an accident next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

lol, you guys are missing the point - the question was "are records kept for being pulled over with no ticket/citation/warning".

The reporting the guy was secondary, and frankly I don't care as much as my original post made it seem.

The other guy's story is going to be "I signaled to change lanes to avoid hitting a parked car but inv4zn didn't let me in and nearly caused a crash".
Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If a file was generated as the result of the "incident" there would be a record kept. From what the OP said, it appears it was dismissed at roadside. Head to Timmies....you will be safe there and not have your ride 'jacked by the Cops.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

There would be a record that the plate or licence was queried though, right? Regardless if the incident was dismissed.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
these "unofficial records"

do they have a retention period? are they wiped clean after a certain period of time? Or will they always come up if a PO runs a person's name?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
these "unofficial records"

do they have a retention period? are they wiped clean after a certain period of time? Or will they always come up if a PO runs a person's name?
If you are talking about PRIME, according to the BC Civil Liberties Association:

"While PRIME-BC was introduced in the Legislature as a way to better combat serial killers, sexual offenders, and career criminals, it would seem that minor traffic violations are enough to land B.C. residents in the police database, indefinitely."
This post thanked by:
Old 10-31-2016, 08:03 PM   #12

Traffic violations, even minor, are official - and I have no issue with them being on record/database.

It's the unofficial ones I'm curious of, and so far Zulutango has answered it isn't.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Traffic violations, even minor, are official - and I have no issue with them being on record/database.

It's the unofficial ones I'm curious of, and so far Zulutango has answered it isn't.
PRIME-BC stores non-conviction information.

OIPC INVESTIGATION REPORT F14-01

Non-conviction information includes:
  • warrants for arrest
  • peace bonds or restraining orders in effect
  • information about adverse police contact
  • charges approved by Crown Counsel that do not result in convictions
  • investigations that do not result in charges
  • information about apprehensions under the Mental Health Act

However, often minor things are simply not entered by police in to the database.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

PRIME (and before that, PIRS):
Any time a report is made to police (911 or non-emergency), a record is generated to document that report. This report should include the name/contact information of the person making the report and the details of said report. Depending on the circumstances of the report/how it was dealt with, there could be additional details relating to other people, vehicles, places, etc.

"Ran my information":
There is a log of all queries done by police (and non-police personnel that have access to the various systems) that links the query to that person running the query. This is a checks-and-balances type thing, as we are not allowed to run people willy-nilly. It has to be for an investigative purpose.

Checks of licence plates on CPIC are visible for 72 hours, then have to be viewed using an "off-line search". There is only an off-line search for non-licence plate searches on CPIC and I believe special privileges are needed for PRIME query logs after a certain point as well.

As for the OP, there is probably no record of your interaction, other than a log generated that your licence was run at whatever date and time by that officer.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #15

^Thank you, best answer.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Now do what I said at the close of post #8.....
Old 11-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #17

^I did go to timmies, but I donno what you mean by getting my car 'jacked by the cops...
Old 11-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #18
RS Peace Officer

Pulled over and given a hard time. Just don't park in their spots next to the door.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #19

haha it's a completely stock family econobox..so..lol.

But thanks for the advice, good to know law enforcement is not approachable :P
Old 11-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #20
RS Peace Officer

Install a couple of kiddie car sets in the back....total cloak of invincibility to protect you from ever getting a ticket...when the see them. They will look at the car and the car seats and figure you have enough problems as it is.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:

Even ICBC doesn't hold onto this stuff longer than 5 years. Why it needs to be kept on PRIME I don't know...

Old 11-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Well you DO keep misbehaving yourself............
Old 11-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #23
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Well you DO keep misbehaving yourself............
Do?

Let's set the record straight once and for all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (89.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 11-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #24
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
That just means you haven't been caught.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #25
RS Peace Officer

When they presented me with my Long Service Medal...it's also know as "20 years of undetected crime"...