REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Revscene Car Review: 2017 Hyundai Elantra Limited

Pros: Handsome package, Stiff structure, surprisingly good fuel economy
Cons: Some low-end plastics
TL;DR: Spacious, practical, efficient and inexpensive who says you can't have it all

Hyundai products have always stuck with the recipe of low cost then add on a million features so the consumer has a more appealing product and the Elantra doesn't stray from that. However, in the new Elantra, they also added refinement and that is a wonderful thing.

From front to back the 2017 Elantra is all new featuring what Hyundai calls its SuperStructure. The new chassis is stiffer than before, aiding to handling, safety, and noise vibrations and harshness, in which they happily named SuperHandling, SuperSafety, and SuperQuiet. Not to be confused with Acura's Super Handling the Elantra is not all wheel drive nor does it feature torque vectoring. It simply means the car's rigid and is an improved structure if any accidents were to occur.

Visually the car looks similar to the previous generation, though slightly more squared off than other Hyundai products. Upfront has a set of bright LEDs next to the Hyundai's Corporate grill transitioning on the relatively low hood, the package is sleek and will definitely aid with fuel economy. Something that's unique is beside the front LEDs has functional air vents that let air pass through the front bumper and over the side of the front wheels reducing drag. A lot of the attention from an engineering perspective has been put to make the Elantra stand out from the crowd and making it as efficient as possible. Even without a direct-injected engine, the Elantra keeps up with others in its class in terms of economy.

Behind the wheel, the Elantra is quite sure footed. The new chassis is stiff and it can be felt during the drive. Although this is not their sports model, the drive drain with its mode select does make the car much more enjoyable and less bland like the Corolla. With the Elantra in Sports mode, the car's steering is tightened but don't think there's more road feel, like most cars these days that rarely happens now with electric steering. But that's not a bad thing by any means, the Elantra is not made to carve mountains, or perform at the next track day. It's an amazing daily vehicle to take you from place to place in peace and quiet. In Normal or Eco mode, the drive is quiet, shifts happen early and steering is nice and light so navigating the supermarket parking lot is easy. For those who's looking for just a bit more spunk, Hyundai has announced a newer model in the Elantra lineup called the Elantra Sport. That model will be powered by the 1.6L Turbo making 201 hp. In our tester it has the standard engine which is a 2 Litre, making 147hp. Power is smooth and its plentiful for merging on the highway. The 6 speed automatic keeps the engine within its power band when needed.

Inside the Elantra, the cabin is nicely appointed with a lot of high-tech gear. Even the base model will get heated seats and keyless entry. The Limited trim in our tester gets 8" display in the centre with Android Auto and dual-zone climate control. There's also a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats under leather seating surfaces. Everything you expect out of a compact car is there and more and that's where Hyundai products stand out. With options like adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning, there're many ways to keep the occupants safe including the 7 standard airbags.

In a nutshell, is a feature packed vehicle with a reduced price other automakers can't match. The overall vehicle might be a bit boring for some of our readers but in the course of a week, the Elantra returned with a fuel economy of 8L/100km of mostly city driving and with the Elantra saving fuel and Hyundai's excellent 5 year, 100,000km warranty. It simply means you can spend more of it on your weekend car and less on your daily driver.

Heated steering wheel was amazing on those cold Vancouver mornings

Even your friends can enjoy heated leather seats

Spacious trunk
Advertisement
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
In a nutshell, how would you compare it to the Mazda3, Civic, etc?

The lower starting price is definitely their selling point. But I recall pricing out similar spec mid-tier ones, and they aren't that cheap anymore.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Mid tier you'll stil get features that's not available in other brands. Personally I would pick the Hyundai before Toyota but the Mazda's driving characteristics is hard to beat. Though the Elantra does have a bigger cabin and trunk. So it really comes down to what is more important.

Look for the civic review coming shortly
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Banished to Fail Club

this car also has both android auto and apple carplay which neither do toyota nor mazda have.

imo, the only car that competes with hyundai elantra is the chevrolet cruze. but even then the chevy is still more expensive and no where near hyundai's 6 year warranty.

can you do an in detailed review of the 2017 chevrolet cruze hatchback next?
Gululu888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
Media Officer / MOD

It actually doesn't have apple CarPlay. The new sport model that's coming will have it.
Old 11-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu888 View Post
this car also has both android auto and apple carplay which neither do toyota nor mazda have.

imo, the only car that competes with hyundai elantra is the chevrolet cruze. but even then the chevy is still more expensive and no where near hyundai's 6 year warranty.

can you do an in detailed review of the 2017 chevrolet cruze hatchback next?
I'll be doing the Cruze hatchback review probably next month
vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
Media Officer / MOD

I actually really like the Cruze just wished it had an SS version with more power
Old 11-04-2016, 10:28 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
dont these usually have really good lease and finance rates available?
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:13 PM   #9
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci Mane View Post
dont these usually have really good lease and finance rates available?
0% for 84 months.

That's why they're so affordable to so many.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:40 AM   #10
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

5 years ago, I impulse bought a car because I got fed up with fixing my MR2T. Got and engine light and said screw it, went to the automall. I went to everyone there and walked away with a Sontata 2.0T. Everything else was just boring... Back in February, I was bored with the Sonata so I decided to trade it in. Walked away with a Genesis 5.0 Ultimate... They're doing something right for me to buy the same brand twice in a row.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
Media Officer / MOD

damn the 5.0 is a pretty nice vehicle, do anything to the exhaust yet to let the growl out?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #12
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Nah, I opted to keep it stock. I pulled the mufflers for a week during the summer and ran it straight pipe. Sounded great but I quickly realized I'm too old for a loud car... lol. Everyone who's done exhaust work on the car complained about drone as well. Less work for me to reverse when I trade it in again.