REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 11-11-2016, 10:53 PM   #26
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

i never really asked any of my friends if they wanted to go because i'd rather meet people along the way and i get to make my own choices while travelling haha but i wouldn't mind! my friends/gerbs said they also met people along the way too and explored some places together to save money on cab etc
Advertisement
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #27
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Solo traveling is definitely fun and I personally enjoy it more than traveling with friends. I've made a bunch of friends all over the world during my previous trips, some of which I still talk to and are willing to host me if I ever decide to visit their countries and vice versa if they choose to visit Vancouver. It's usually easier to strike up a conversation at a hostel with someone sitting alone than two or more people already talking to each other. On my most recent trip, I started talking to one solo traveler and then another person overheard us and we all got to know each other and then another person joined. Eventually we had a group of 5 or 6 of us that were all new to the city and with no set itineraries. Some left the city and new solo travelers joined our little group, it was pretty awesome.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #28
I am Hook'd on RS

Where did you go? How long?

Japan, 6 weeks

How was it?

Incredible, couldn't ask for a better first back-packing experience. Met tons of great people (stayed in hostels most of the time, occasionally a ryokan/inn) and the language barrier was a non-issue. I picked up some Japanese and everyone was extremely friendly and willing to help you out.

Would you do it again?

Yup, went a second time last year and am going again in 2017.

Recommendations on destinations? (I'm very open as long as it's female friendly)

I love travelling in Japan, and Europe is great as well (I'd recommend Germany if you're considering Switzerland). While they aren't as cheap as SE Asia, if you get a good deal on a flight (lately there have been some deals around $600-$800 round trip to Europe and Japan) and stay in hostels/AirBNB you can have a great experience. And without feeling like you're missing out on things/penny pinching too.

How much did the whole trip cost you?

For the 6-week trip, about $7000. But my flight was $1500 instead of the $700 I'm paying this next trip and that includes activities like Super GT, D1GP, renting a drift car in Ebisu.
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2016, 02:38 PM   #29
God of Unce

I got 8 vacation days to use, where to go solo?
Old 11-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverLift View Post
Where did you go? How long?

Japan, 6 weeks

How was it?

Incredible, couldn't ask for a better first back-packing experience. Met tons of great people (stayed in hostels most of the time, occasionally a ryokan/inn) and the language barrier was a non-issue. I picked up some Japanese and everyone was extremely friendly and willing to help you out.

Would you do it again?

Yup, went a second time last year and am going again in 2017.

Recommendations on destinations? (I'm very open as long as it's female friendly)

I love travelling in Japan, and Europe is great as well (I'd recommend Germany if you're considering Switzerland). While they aren't as cheap as SE Asia, if you get a good deal on a flight (lately there have been some deals around $600-$800 round trip to Europe and Japan) and stay in hostels/AirBNB you can have a great experience. And without feeling like you're missing out on things/penny pinching too.

How much did the whole trip cost you?

For the 6-week trip, about $7000. But my flight was $1500 instead of the $700 I'm paying this next trip and that includes activities like Super GT, D1GP, renting a drift car in Ebisu.
When are you going next year? I'm going solo to Japan in April for two weeks, probably same deal you ended up jumping on.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #31
I am Hook'd on RS

Yup, April as well! I didn't get the cheapest $585 fare unfortunately, couldn't make the mid-week dates work.
neverLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverLift View Post
Yup, April as well! I didn't get the cheapest $585 fare unfortunately, couldn't make the mid-week dates work.
Ditto, I opted for slightly more expensive dates, but still got it very close. We should meet up there if our days match up, I've never been there before and could use some pointers!

Last edited by TOS'd; 11-26-2016 at 02:04 AM.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote