REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-20-2016, 12:41 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
1 internet 2 routers to extend range in an apartment

Here is my current setup

Modem in Room1 --> AC Wifi Router 1 in Room1 --> Cat6 LAN cable goes inside the wall to the TV in family room.

I didn't realize 2 thin concrete walls will drop the AC & N signal entirely in the family room. As I have a spare 2-port AC router, is it possible to do the following?

Modem in Room1 --> AC Wifi Router 1 in Room1 --> Cat6 LAN cable going to family room ---> AC Wifi Router 2 ---> Cat6 LAN cable to 4K TV --> everyone in the family room can get wifi

My questions are, Router 2 needs to setup as extender mode? Will I get both LAN, AC & N signals from Router 2? SSID cannot be set as same as router 1?
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
SSID can be set the same, the computers are smart enough to hand over to the router with the strongest signal.

If you want Router 1 to reach other rooms, you should set your rates lower. 5ghz doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4.

Router 2 should be setup as Bridged mode, basically you set the gateway etc as if it is another PC connected to Router 1.

It depends on which firmware your spare router has. OpenWRT or Buffalo is the most flexible.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Out of curiosity are you exclusively using the 5Ghz band? I did the same in my 850sqft condo and it was terrible in the far reaches.

Once I moved to the 2.4Ghz band in the bad areas I was getting full coverage.

Before you buy another AP, try playing around with band channels in case the channels you're using are close to saturation. (Note: I'm not an expert in this area, and I've only read about it in passing)
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:10 PM   #4

some of my devices can only cover channel 36/48, I have limited choice.

I want both 2.4ghz and 5ghz...my security camera and TV can only do N, but others are AC. I am trying wireless extend mode (which somehow easier to setup) and only get either mode (N or AC, can't extend both)
Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
SSID can be set the same, the computers are smart enough to hand over to the router with the strongest signal.

If you want Router 1 to reach other rooms, you should set your rates lower. 5ghz doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4.

Router 2 should be setup as Bridged mode, basically you set the gateway etc as if it is another PC connected to Router 1.

It depends on which firmware your spare router has. OpenWRT or Buffalo is the most flexible.
I believe there more than just being smart, there's a setting you have to change/tweak for your wireless card, how aggressive your network card is roaming. This setting should be easily accessible on a PC, but probably not available on most mobile devices.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

SG :: How to set a Wireless Router as an Access Point

I followed this site to "bridge" my second router.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #7

I would recommend you separate your security system from the rest of your devices by a separate router. Wifi hardware ise gives each device equal time, assign each system into their separate network, to level out congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
some of my devices can only cover channel 36/48, I have limited choice.

I want both 2.4ghz and 5ghz...my security camera and TV can only do N, but others are AC. I am trying wireless extend mode (which somehow easier to setup) and only get either mode (N or AC, can't extend both)
Old 11-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Most commonly, devices will stay with their connected AP until the signal is too weak to be usable even if there's a stronger, they will not automatically switch to whatever AP signal is strongest.

To get that level of functionality, you need routers with "Zero-Handoff" capability. Usually only found in commercial grade stuff. I think some of the higher end Linksys stuff is starting to get that feature.

I have a DLink DIR-880 router in my house (towards the front of my property) and one in my detached Garage (at the rear of my property). When I had them both set up as the same SSID I'd frequently get my laptop automatically connecting to the house over the garage when I was in the garage evident by a really weak and slow (but working) signal.
I now have them set as separate SSID's that I'd manually select depending on where I am, and it avoids that problem.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #9

There are 2 issues here.

On the AP side, most routers hand off correctly IF the APs share the same SSID AND are set to the same channel for all the routers. (So Auto obviously is a non starter), pick the channel wisely. The driver typically compares the RSSI of the same channel to decide which AP to go with. For Ubiquiti hardware "Zero Handoff" basically is a configuration check to make sure both criteria are met.

Apple Airport (RIP) works, so will any router that runs OpenWRT eg Buffalo, Ubiquiti, Cisco etc.

To answer TRD comments. Some Android devices don't have a library bgscan installed properly on the linux side, that would prevent network switching based on the RSSI levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Most commonly, devices will stay with their connected AP until the signal is too weak to be usable even if there's a stronger, they will not automatically switch to whatever AP signal is strongest.

To get that level of functionality, you need routers with "Zero-Handoff" capability. Usually only found in commercial grade stuff. I think some of the higher end Linksys stuff is starting to get that feature.

I have a DLink DIR-880 router in my house (towards the front of my property) and one in my detached Garage (at the rear of my property). When I had them both set up as the same SSID I'd frequently get my laptop automatically connecting to the house over the garage when I was in the garage evident by a really weak and slow (but working) signal.
I now have them set as separate SSID's that I'd manually select depending on where I am, and it avoids that problem.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
On the AP side, most routers hand off correctly IF the APs share the same SSID AND are set to the same channel for all the routers. (So Auto obviously is a non starter), pick the channel wisely.
If you are using multiple routers with the same SSID, you should be using a different channel for each router.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

It depends on the geography, as I said if you want zero handoff, they need to be on the same channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
If you are using multiple routers with the same SSID, you should be using a different channel for each router.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
just get ubiquiti Ap devices which will handle the same SSID for all the units and channel selection for you instead of using wireless routers
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 03:25 AM   #13

Quote:
It depends on the geography, as I said if you want zero handoff, they need to be on the same channel.
so which one is correct answer? lol
Old 11-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #14

Here is what Ubiquiti has to say about zero handoff:

Quote:
Zero Handoff Roaming works with any type of 802.11a/g/n client. However, all UAPs in the ZH-Enabled WLAN Group must be on the same layer-2 network (same subnet) and use the same wireless channel (e.g., Channel 1). Listed below are a few things to expect / avoid when deploying ZH-enabled UAPs.
For most purpose, same channel or not it will work, same channel means the utilization will be higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
just get ubiquiti Ap devices which will handle the same SSID for all the units and channel selection for you instead of using wireless routers