REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #76
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,755 Times in 3,869 Posts
Watching the news on my break, icbc says it will be bankrupt in the next 3 years. Huge losses blah blah raising rates blah blah.

How long until BC ditches this shit crown corporation. Never say never, we did eventually get rid of aircarez
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #77
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Got my renewal letter. Looks like my rate went up almost $100. No tickets, no accidents. Nothing changed...

2015 Genesis 5.0 with max 43% Roadstar = $2300
Old 02-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #78

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
What are your thoughts about increased competition for auto insurance business in B.C?

I'm thinking that IF somehow the province allowed private insurance companies to sell basic and optional insurance to drivers, then insurance premiums could go down.

This won't happen in a million years in B.C. but I was thinking what if you more choices in terms of private insurers (GEICO,AllState, etc). like in the U.S.

Last edited by pastarocket; 02-23-2017 at 02:26 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #79
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Disagree. Private companies can flat out deny providing insurance, and I don't like that.
My truck just came up for renewal, I was doing my optionals through Coast Insurance, but now that it's crossed 20 years old Coast Capital will no longer insure it. This is a vehicle that is in great shape and well maintained, and I have a perfect driving record. I had to do my optionals back through ICBC.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:38 PM   #80
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
i for one welcome our private insurance overlords.
I think some of us older RSers would benefit from lower prices, but the 16-18 year olds might suffer
Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #81

I also think it's important to not lose sight of the fact we were all young, new drivers once. Coming from motorcycles, beacon etc won't even give you insurance if your under 25 (lets not forget you could legally ride a motorcycle at 16, so you could theoretically already have 9 years riding experience).

We need there to be guaranteed and affordable insurance for our next gen of enthusiasts
Old 02-23-2017, 02:39 PM   #82
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Disagree. Private companies can flat out deny providing insurance, and I don't like that.
My truck just came up for renewal, I was doing my optionals through Coast Insurance, but now that it's crossed 20 years old Coast Capital will no longer insure it. This is a vehicle that is in great shape and well maintained, and I have a perfect driving record. I had to do my optionals back through ICBC.
I would like to think that this is partially because we have a mixed system, which immediately reduces the amount of competition in the industry. If it was fully private, I think there would be enough competition that you could find someone to insure your truck
Old 02-23-2017, 03:10 PM   #83
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
They can also stop insuring you on a whim. I don't want to have to worry about some company cancelling all my insurance and my wifes insurance just because they didn't like me going to a track day or something (this has happened in Oregon, they cancelled his home insurance too).

I also don't want to have to worry about reading every bit of fine print to know they aren't going to try to get out of paying a claim because of some technicality hidden in a clause. And then do that again for multiple companies to compare quotes. I'm busy enough as it is, I don't need to waste all this time and deal with all these potential headaches just to maybe save a few bucks a year.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #84
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

In BC, ICBC is actually usable, and really it isn't a bad setup. The problem with it is the NDP started raiding them for huge amounts of cash, and with the debt they racked up the Liberals have had to do the same. So you are not just paying for your car insurance, you are subsidizing your provincial government. I guess one way to look at this is realistically, if they stopped raided ICBC, they would have to increase your taxes somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
PST ugh. Did you buy both cars within the last 6 months?
So just a quick update, I think I don't have to pay GST on my cars, which would be awesome

Last edited by MrPhreak; 08-20-2017 at 02:15 PM.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #85
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

FYI if your USED car has a value over $55,000 you will pay an additional luxury tax up to 3%..

bring back the HST please.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #86
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Got my renewal letter. Looks like my rate went up almost $100. No tickets, no accidents. Nothing changed...

2015 Genesis 5.0 with max 43% Roadstar = $2300
that's like 4%

is there a fee list that shows how much bodyshops are charging YoY?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 PM   #87
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
that's like 4%

is there a fee list that shows how much bodyshops are charging YoY?
That 5.5% increase that just happen..and looks like another coming .....
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #88
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I switched my optionals on two cars (13 328xi & 15 CR-V EX-L) to Bel Air and have more MORE coverage than ICBC ($2.8m 3rd party, $300 collision, $200 Comp, $1m underinsured, roadside loss of use, windshield repair) we are paying $2010/year for both cars down from $3310!!! Huge savings. Less money going to ICBC from this household. Good riddance.
Arvi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #89
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Watching the news on my break, icbc says it will be bankrupt in the next 3 years. Huge losses blah blah raising rates blah blah.

How long until BC ditches this shit crown corporation. Never say never, we did eventually get rid of aircarez
The province dips into the icbc coffers all the time, which is why they're going "bankrupt", and then icbc comes up with lame excuses to increase taxes uhm I mean insurance rates, so there's no way in hell that the province will get rid of icbc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:39 AM   #90

So then why doesn't icbc start a big commercial and radio ad campaign telling us citizens in black and white that the reason rates are so high is because of our own government. If everyone knew and made it clear and icbc showed it as a "scandal" something might change then.

I pay around ~2500/year with my '14 ST, and that's with a spotless record and -43%
Old 02-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #91
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
On a side note to the raise in rates, I think ICBC should be getting more strict with injury claims. Crack down more on these monster pay outs people are getting for low impact claims. They do a decent job sure, but far too many people use these small accidents as a lottery win of sorts.

It should be there for people who truly and honestly need it. I'd love to know how much is spent on ICBC's behalf with these payouts, lawyers, etc etc.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #92
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowered_Klass View Post
On a side note to the raise in rates, I think ICBC should be getting more strict with injury claims. Crack down more on these monster pay outs people are getting for low impact claims. They do a decent job sure, but far too many people use these small accidents as a lottery win of sorts.

It should be there for people who truly and honestly need it. I'd love to know how much is spent on ICBC's behalf with these payouts, lawyers, etc etc.
ICBC pays out based on medical evidence. Well guess what, many medical practitioners are in the pockets of the lawyers. You know the rest of the story..
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #93
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I went through a hell of a marathon getting my cars switched over

Showed up at the place bright and early... We broke for lunch, came back at 1:30 and wrapped it all up at 3:30pm

We got hung up on virtually every part... opps, system isn't working, have to call ICBC again... and get them to override... again *sigh*.

It was a huge pain, but in the end I didn't have to pay GST on my cars, I was able to get the 40% discount right off the bat, and I didn't have to do inspections on my cars.

Now I got blue plates! Hooray!

Last edited by MrPhreak; 08-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #94
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
not sure if this was posted but... icbc luxury vehicle list:

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/optiona...hicle-list.pdf

aside from naming almost every modern ferrari, lamborghini, and porsche, is it just me or is this list is very specific for some cars, such as:

osca mt4:

ruf ctr:

saleen s7:

SLR McLaren 722:

XJ220 (but for some reason it only singles out Left Hand Drive Import):

... but i don't see a porsche 959 on the list. i can still dream!
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 03-29-2017 at 06:43 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote