REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
SiRVs up, dude

Anyone switch from Mac to MS Surface?

Just trying to get some ideas of what the transition was like.

I've been a Mac guy for the last 6 years (not that long), but, despite loving the OSX interface, its getting a bit old.

My main concern is the Mail app for Mac. Does Win10 have something similar that can sync all my 6 mail accounts onto one app?

Thankfully, my MBP is still worth $2000, so I can get a pretty decked out surface pro.
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I got myself a surface book and I'm pretty disappointed so far.

I love the mac trackpad and the surfacebook can't compare, and the keyboard is mushy.

Check out my instagram @aznboi128 I ran a benchmark on it just to see and i was averaging 6fps.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
SiRVs up, dude

^ Whats up Jimmy?! Went to HS with you, congrats on getting married man

Back on topic:
Yeah, another problem was the track pad... I love the mac track pad... I played with a few surface track pads at best buy the other day, and I thought they were pretty functional. Functional enough anyway.. I'm also missing out on a bunch of games I bought off steam a few years back. I don't have my desktop anymore, and my mac can't play half of the games I had on steam...

I'm guessing the surface isn't designed to game?
Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 AM   #4
Got MOD?

Probably cause it's running at 3200x2000 resolution? 1920x1080 would probably be faster. Is this the refreshed model with the new gpu?
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:38 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
Are these graphic intensive games? I don't think gaming on a Surface can be run beyond the lowest resolution settings.

Have you tried creating a boot camp partition and running windows off of your mac?
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Following this as well. Also believe op is talking about a surface pro, not the surface book. Currently don't own an apple, but considering either or for an everyday portable internet surfing and note taking. Curious how a surface works when trying to use it on your lap, any first hand experiences with using one on your lap?
Old 11-24-2016, 05:58 AM   #7
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatogunk View Post
Are these graphic intensive games? I don't think gaming on a Surface can be run beyond the lowest resolution settings.

Have you tried creating a boot camp partition and running windows off of your mac?
Not really switching purely for the OS interface, it's more for the device form factor. I walk around alot while at work/school so I want something that's light and portable. My MacBook pro is heavy as F.

I'm really just looking to finish my Arkham asylum/city games from steam lol... Don't have a desktop anymore, and was hoping apple versions of the game would have come out over the last couple years, but no luck (only Arkham city)
Old 11-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
get the touchbar macs
super light
lol
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #9
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
^ Whats up Jimmy?! Went to HS with you, congrats on getting married man

Back on topic:
Yeah, another problem was the track pad... I love the mac track pad... I played with a few surface track pads at best buy the other day, and I thought they were pretty functional. Functional enough anyway.. I'm also missing out on a bunch of games I bought off steam a few years back. I don't have my desktop anymore, and my mac can't play half of the games I had on steam...

I'm guessing the surface isn't designed to game?
hahaa thanks!

In terms of games, using a mac isn't the greatest. Most games that are for mac is ported from pc and they tend to not run as well. A bootcamp into windows and it should be fine.

In terms of the trackpad it's a huge factor for me, but many have said the touchscreen is the solution but I'm too used to not raising my hand to touch the screen every time I need to "click"

Quote:
Originally Posted by !MiKrofT View Post
Probably cause it's running at 3200x2000 resolution? 1920x1080 would probably be faster. Is this the refreshed model with the new gpu?
Yea this is the new refreshed model I'm using the benchmark was at full res but I ran a GTA benchmark at 720p and was only getting around 20~fps. Battlefield one was not playable on recommended settings of medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
Following this as well. Also believe op is talking about a surface pro, not the surface book. Currently don't own an apple, but considering either or for an everyday portable internet surfing and note taking. Curious how a surface works when trying to use it on your lap, any first hand experiences with using one on your lap?
I've tried the Surface Pro before getting the Book and the problem is that kickstand takes more space than needed and on uneven surfaces (like lap) really doesn't work
Old 11-25-2016, 12:27 AM   #10
Got MOD?

Yeah. The surface pro doesn't work so well on the lap. It's doable as I've done it a few times. . I use mine for work both away and at the office.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:28 AM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,438 Times in 1,436 Posts
I am just an average laptop user and I have Windows running PC at home...Mac experience is definitely better than Surface products both work and leisure use.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
SiRVs up, dude

Ok, looks like I'll 'rough' it out for another couple years till I finish my program, then I'll just buy another Windows gaming rig. Thanks all for saving me a G!
Old 11-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #13
Media Officer / MOD

Hey Andrew, so I tried to run BF1 on low settings on 1024x768 got average 12fps LOL not playable at all.