REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

STI vs WRX

Hey guys,

So I'm just looking at the differences between the new STI and WRX and I'm trying to convince myself that I don't really need the STI and can save the 10k. I don't plan on modding the car too much, most likely looking to do ecu tuning and change the exhaust to something with a deep gurgle, but other than that I don't plan on doing much more (maybe a BOV and intake?). I won't really track the car, but I do like giving it a push in the streets.

I mean I want the STI just to be able to say I have an STI, but its that price tag that I can't justify.

Would you guys be able to point me in the right direction of which one would be more suitable for me?
Advertisement
killerz124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerz124 View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm just looking at the differences between the new STI and WRX and I'm trying to convince myself that I don't really need the STI and can save the 10k. I don't plan on modding the car too much, most likely looking to do ecu tuning and change the exhaust to something with a deep gurgle, but other than that I don't plan on doing much more (maybe a BOV and intake?). I won't really track the car, but I do like giving it a push in the streets.

I mean I want the STI just to be able to say I have an STI, but its that price tag that I can't justify.

Would you guys be able to point me in the right direction of which one would be more suitable for me?

The STI is better in everyway expect price and gas milage. That being said, wait for the new STI with the 2.0L that Japan just got.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
If you're asking for advice between these two cars on Revscene.. you've already decided on the STI, you just want confirmation..

Go get the STI!
Old 11-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
buy a wrx and spend 10k on mods, make it faster than a stock sti, you still have a wrx.

that's just how I see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
If you're asking for advice between these two cars on Revscene.. you've already decided on the STI, you just want confirmation..
^^ This. And to top it off, you want the STI, but is whining about the premium that you need to pay for it.

Esp when you don't plan on tracking the car, I really don't see any rational reason of why you should go for the more expensive STI with the far more ancient engine. If you are in it for the bragging rights -- fine, that's a fair point. But if you want the car, you gotta pay for it. Gotta pay to play -- no other way around it.

The question you really need to ask yourself is -- if you purchased the WRX, are you gonna have buyer remorse everyday afterwards, thinking that you could have / should have bought the STI? Or, if you bought the STI, and it somehow didn't turn up to be all that you were expecting out of it, are you gonna have buyer remorse and thought you should have gone for the WRX and save yourself $10k?

None of us can answer those questions for you, nor can we make the decision for you either. You have to ask yourself, and you are the only one that knows the answer.

Personally, I think the WRX is more than enough for my purpose, and that includes street as well as track duty. I also can't find myself paying top $$$ for what is essentially a 20+ year old engine design.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,282 Times in 489 Posts
I'd go with the WRX, the new FA motor is a great thing and with a few simple mods it'll outrun the STI, and if you don't wanna track it then you won't really benefit from the STI's upgrades anyways. WRX is way better value for the money and looks virtually identical, if you reaaaally want the STI though I'd wait for the new 2 ltr motor from Japan

I agree tho, I was in the same boat a couple years ago... Just ask urself one question, "If you're sitting at a light and you're in the WRX, and an STI pulls up, will you be upset? "
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
STI!

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #8

I probably would feel a bit bummed if I saw an STI of the same model pull up beside me, but I'm just hesitant because people keep complaining about the engine and the WRX has a newer engine. I'm too conflicted right now. Plus I'm not looking to track the car, so would it still be worth it? I'm just into the STI for the whole bane behind it

Last edited by killerz124; 11-25-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Get a lightly used / well maintained STI?

Save you some cost, and still have a STI.

It's something to consider, since no one can really answer this for you.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #10

Its not that the price is a problem, is the price difference worth it? That extra 10 worth the difference or wrx is a good enough?
Old 11-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #11
(ノº _ º)ノ彡┻━┻

in the future, how likely are you to regret your decision on purchashing the wrx? i had this dilemma with a gaming headset. i wanted to only spend $300, compared to tgr $500 model. i weighed out the features and got the $300 set. it sucked, i returned it and ponied up for the higher model.

just get the sti and no ragrets ��
jnesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

let EE explain which one is better for you

aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #13

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I chose the WRX. Zero ragrets. No more needing to worry about ringlands and rod knock. If you were to get an STi I would wait for the new motor. That being said, the WRX vs STi stock vs stock are pretty close due to the WRX hitting peak boost at around 2k rpms. The WRX has more usable torque whereas the STi has more of it higher up in the Rev range (linear).

Only thing I dislike about the WRX is that it has pretty much open diffs whereas the new STi has locking diffs which mean you can do sick skids

Another note: if you're ever plan on going for big power numbers (over 600hp) or are planning to track/auto X the car often; I would get the STi. Otherwise stick with the WRX if all its going to see is public roads.

Edit: I don't think buying an STi for the sake of saying " I have an STi " should be a deciding factor

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #14

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
buy a wrx and spend 10k on mods, make it faster than a stock sti, you still have a wrx.

that's just how I see it.
But if you spend 500 on a tune on the STI you end up exactly where you are with the WRX except you still have a warranty and the better suspension and locking diffs. It's almost always better to jut buy the faster car from factory then trying to mod it up...

It's like slapping a 8k turbo on a V6 mustang when you can get the V8.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I was in the same situation 13 years ago with choosing between an e30 325is and an e30 M3.

at the time, a nice e30 in the prairies cost me 7200. Kinda steep, but it checked out well.
A similarly equipped e30 M3 was going for about 12-15 g's. At most, 20g/s

I thought it over and since I wasn't going to mod it like crazy, decided on the 325is since it was easier to daily (even though I just wanted something nice in the summers).

Today my nice e30 325is is worth about....10ish....at best
an equivalent e30 m3 is worth about...40-50ish...at least!

do I feel like an idiot?

you bet I do!
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
If you are dailying this car, wrx wins in the everyday functionality. If you don't care about gas mileage or a more jarring ride, STi. If you want something that gets up and goes with no frills and much better fuel economy? Wrx. It's about time they replaced that ej. Srs japan already did in their STi. Only a matter of time before North America makes the switch. It's more economical and newer tech in every sense.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyR View Post
I was in the same situation 13 years ago with choosing between an e30 325is and an e30 M3.
ironic given the current STi motor was designed 13 years ago
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #18
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
But if you spend 500 on a tune on the STI you end up exactly where you are with the WRX except you still have a warranty and the better suspension and locking diffs. It's almost always better to jut buy the faster car from factory then trying to mod it up...

It's like slapping a 8k turbo on a V6 mustang when you can get the V8.
i think we agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #19
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
STI.

all the hardware (DCCD, LSD's Brembos, beefier suspension) is worth the admission.

I would wait for that newer dual injection motor though.

Oh, and resale too. STI would be the hotter car that would holds value. you'll be getting most of that difference back (check craigslist on older wrx vs STi)

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Go drive them both, and see if you can notice the difference. Also I'm not sure if that 10k difference includes taxes, if not that's another $1200 bringing the total difference to $11,200 which is a pretty nice vacation every year for the next few years. Plus you'll be paying more for fuel and more for insurance every year.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #21

Don't both the vehicles retain their value? I see WRX's going for a good price on craigs right now as well

I also read somewhere that the WRX does not have as nice of a note than the STI. Can the WRX sound just as nice with a exhaust? Hows the stock WRX sound?
Old 11-25-2016, 10:58 PM   #22
Professional Lurker

I was in this dilemma when I bought my Sti last year. Seeing how the performance is so close between the wrx and sti, it was hard to choose. Seeing how most of the comments here just talk about how the new FA20 is better than the outdated EJ25 motor, it doesn't justify the WRX being anywhere close to the Sti.

Having been able to drive a 2015 WRX for a week, I was able to compare the WRX and Sti. Even though the Sti has an outdated engine, it more than makes up With a ton of things.
-The Transmission on the Sti compared to the wrx is night and day. The new WRX has a sloppy cable transmission. Yes you can correct it with a perrin shift stop but it still doesnt feel as crisp as the mechanically linked Sti transmission
-The Steering feel on the Sti has a much better feel due to the hydraulic steering and tighter steering rack compared to the electrically assisted steering on the wrx and wider steering ratio.
-Driver controlled Center Diff
-Sti has brembos... it has brembos
-Sti Badges

With the Sti being a track orientated car, it has some drawbacks if being used to drive around the city
-The suspension on the Sti Is extremely jarring. It can make a small bump on the road feel like you went through a lansdowne mall speedbump at 60kms. This can be fixed however with aftermarket springs. I put a set of RCE yellows on mine and it handles the smaller bumps much better while maintaining a stiff ride around corners.
-The Turbo lag on the Sti is quite noticeable. Most of the power is at the higher end of the powerband. The WRX however with the twin scroll turbo provides usable power at lower area of the powerband making it much more enjoyable to boot around the city.

Personally, the extra money was worth getting an Sti. The steering rack and transmission makes driving an Sti night and day over a WRX. I could be biased though because i used to drive a 04 WRX and always regretted not having an Sti when an Sti would pull up beside me. That was back in the day though when everything in the Sti was better than the WRX
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #23
My homepage has been set to RS

bought sport tech wrx just just because it had the new engine. Didn't care the sti had DCCD or brembos since with the money i saved in not buying the sti i could do the mods myself. Also if you want all the sti pieces you can pretty much add them to the wrx and still have other mods to do whatever u want engine wise...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #24
Professional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerz124 View Post
Don't both the vehicles retain their value? I see WRX's going for a good price on craigs right now as well

I also read somewhere that the WRX does not have as nice of a note than the STI. Can the WRX sound just as nice with a exhaust? Hows the stock WRX sound?
Due to the twin scroll turbo, the wrx uses equal length headers. The famous subie rumble is due to the unequal length headers on the EJ motors. Therefore the wrx Does not have the famous subie rumble. It does however have a subtle distinct boxer motor sound that I cant really describe.
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:06 PM   #25

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I think the best way to describe it is...it sounds like a tractor

I've got muffler deletes on mine and it pretty much sounds like a tractor....or an frs with an exhaust

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: