REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 11-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

What ISP is hot now?

Before I sign up with Teksavvy, I wanted to know if there's similar cable provider out there. Teksavvy was stable when I was with them years ago. What have you guys tried?
Advertisement
imp>dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:54 AM   #2
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Shaw will always be better than Telus in terms of internet technology, speed, and stability. Both companies of course will have their downtimes here and there, Cable>Phone lines. If we're talking about fibre then its fair game as the technology is still fairly new in the area so its hard to say which is better for now. I believe techsavvy is just a whole seller of shaw so it uses shaw's backbone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 03:33 AM   #3
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

The big companies are pretty much the same so unless you need a decent upload speed, just get what gives you the best bang for the buck. Shaw couldn't give me a decent upload speed so I went with Telus 5 years ago.

I run ownCloud and Plex so I can watch my stuff at the gym and at my gf's place so the 10mbps up from Telus is nice. More than likely to go with Telus fiber when it's available in my area. 150 download and upload. Shaw only manages 15 up on their 150 package. Not sure if it's a limitation of their technology or if they're intentionally keeping it low.

For most people, upload speed isn't a huge deal but taking hours to throw a few gigs of photos to Dropbox wasn't acceptable to me. Having fast access to my data/media is important to me. Not really a fan of either company but Telus gives me what I need.

Another thing to note, cable connections may slow down during peak times if you're in a populated area. Gf's connection takes a dump down to 3mbps when people start coming home from work in her building.
One of our companies at Lonsdale Quay was on a 200mbps Shaw connection and we'd get calls everyday around lunch that it's unusable when other companies in the area are all surfing the youtube on their lunch break. We switched them to a 25mbps MPLS connection and piped the internet through the main office and it was much better.

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 11-26-2016 at 03:46 AM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
teksavvy just a reseller of shaw and telus lines.

if you have fibre in your area, i'd go with that option from telus.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
teksavvy just a reseller of shaw and telus lines.

if you have fibre in your area, i'd go with that option from telus.

Unfortunately I don't have fibre. I'm thinking Tek's 30 unlimited for $50. Is there other isp offering a better deal than this?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:16 PM   #6
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Shaw still has their 150 Mbps plan for $50/month (1st year @ $50, 2nd year @ $80)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Shaw still has their 150 Mbps plan for $50/month (1st year @ $50, 2nd year @ $80)

Anyone has experience with Lightspeed?

I feel ripped off at all these "introductory offer" where the good pricing expires.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
The Shaw intro is not bad. $80/month is still a great deal for 150Mbps. It averages out to $65/month over the 2 years.

I just renewed my Telus through their retention dept. and got their 100Mbps pack for $42.50/month for 6 months. $80 after. Telus has 30Mbps upload vs Shaw's 15Mbps. It's nice to have, if you need it.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If you want to try Shaw out they have Internet 150, $60/mo month to month first year, reg after.
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

The Shaw 150 plan sounds attractive, but be aware that the 3rd year (regular rate) is $135 per month and the 2 year Valueplan is a contract with early cancellation fees.
https://shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Terms_...NT_v1_0716.pdf
John is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

with constant deals and promotions coming out, hoping on the $50 for 150 isnt a bad idea. i'm pretty sure we have a few Shaw Reps here on revscene lurking somewhere.

IMO, telus has some shady business tactics, and i've heard some of their service techs cut corners.
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #12
Got MOD?

You the time 2 years is up simply find a better deal. I don't think pricing will be the same 2 years down the road. Worse Conestoga worse I'll just downgrade my speed.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp>dom View Post
Anyone has experience with Lightspeed?

I feel ripped off at all these "introductory offer" where the good pricing expires.
avoid lightspeed. they are horrible with customer service and horrible with tech support from the last time i had to deal with them... and this is with a business line
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: