REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 11-27-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Blacks went under, where to go for developing?

I haven't had any photos developed in quiet some time. I'm planning on getting a bunch of files developed but discovered blacks went under last year. Curious where a good place to go in Vancouver with similar pricing and quality would be. For those who don't know they would clean each photo up, remove red eye etc.
Advertisement
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Try London Drugs, their Photo Lab work is pretty decent and they do fix/touch up the pictures before printing.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Thanks, i'll give them a call and see what they take care of.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,517 Times in 1,153 Posts
I get my film developed at Kerrisdale Cameras, they in turn send it to The Lab. Ahh sorry, I immediately thought you were developing film lol
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
LD for me too. Pricier than other grocery stores (Superstore, Costco) but they do a much better job with it imo. Worth the extra 10-15 cents/4x6
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
LD for me too. Pricier than other grocery stores (Superstore, Costco) but they do a much better job with it imo. Worth the extra 10-15 cents/4x6
Good to know and agreed. I've had photos developed at superstore etc and it's subpar at best every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsuda View Post
I get my film developed at Kerrisdale Cameras, they in turn send it to The Lab. Ahh sorry, I immediately thought you were developing film lol
haha nah just standard 4x6. I want hard copies so when my hard drives become obsolete I have something to look back on. These prints are for full blown photography.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,177 Times in 354 Posts
I was looking at the Black Friday deals, and here's what I came up with.
You can use HP's new instant ink program, where you pay a certain fee a month to print a certain number of pages... which could be photos.

Right, now:

-HP Instant Ink is free for first 3 months, their $11/month plan allows for 100 pages.

-I got a qualifying printer for 30 bux

-A pack of 100 4x6 photo paper is anywhere from $10-14 bux shipped on Amazon.

And so, you can do 4x6 in the comfort of your own home for the same price that Costco charges. Though, I'm sure the ink and paper aren't as great quality.

If you really wanted to kick it up a notch... you could do larger photo sizes using the same technique.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
As a former HP retail rep, the quality coming out of a retail inkjet print doesn't compare to what you can get at a professional developer. They're great for instant prints, but other than that it's too much hassle compared to simply providing LD or whoever with a drive of pictures to develop. On top of that, you'll have to be careful about screen calibration since you'd be lacking the generic "touch-up" that professional developers do before making prints (LD does this to essentially make sure you actually want a wildly out of wack print intentionally).
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,177 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
As a former HP retail rep, the quality coming out of a retail inkjet print doesn't compare to what you can get at a professional developer. They're great for instant prints, but other than that it's too much hassle compared to simply providing LD or whoever with a drive of pictures to develop. On top of that, you'll have to be careful about screen calibration since you'd be lacking the generic "touch-up" that professional developers do before making prints (LD does this to essentially make sure you actually want a wildly out of wack print intentionally).
Awesome, thanks for the additional info. I'd be interested to know more about the 'generic' touchup that professional developers do before making prints.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote