REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 11-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Best options for travelling to US?

Hey I'll be going on VAC in a couple months to Hawaii and I was wondering what the best and cheapest options are now a days for data/text/call. In the past I just used ROAM but my sim cards have expired.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Are you on Fido or Rogers? If so, depending on the plan you have, you may be able to take advantage of their Roam Like Home / Fido Roam feature.

$5/day to a maximum of $50. Use your phone as if you were at home and pay for any overages/LD and other charges you incur.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Are you on Fido or Rogers? If so, depending on the plan you have, you may be able to take advantage of their Roam Like Home / Fido Roam feature.

$5/day to a maximum of $50. Use your phone as if you were at home and pay for any overages/LD and other charges you incur.
I'll take a look, that sounds super easy and convenient. I'm with Rogers on the $50 for 5GB Government plan from before, not sure this will be available to me but i'll see.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I think roam would still be better than the plans that are available within the company that you're using atm.
If your friends have a sim maybe ask them if you could borrow it for a bit? They won't be using it anyway
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I'll take a look, that sounds super easy and convenient. I'm with Rogers on the $50 for 5GB Government plan from before, not sure this will be available to me but i'll see.
Likely not because you probably have to be on a Share Everything plan.

My wife was on a grandfathered plan where you could sign up for Rogers Roam Like Home on the app/website. Did so, and received the confirmation text. Little did we know that they deactivated it on their end so my wife got a nice surprise bill at the end of the month. It was a quick fix, but that was some underhanded shit on their part. They basically said "it's only available to our Share Everything plans and don't try to do it again". Suffice to say she isn't a Rogers customer.

How long are you gone for? If you're gone for a week or two I'd probably still go with Roam so that you don't eat into your data bucket. The prices are pretty similar, with the only hassle being the sim change.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Likely not because you probably have to be on a Share Everything plan.

My wife was on a grandfathered plan where you could sign up for Rogers Roam Like Home on the app/website. Did so, and received the confirmation text. Little did we know that they deactivated it on their end so my wife got a nice surprise bill at the end of the month. It was a quick fix, but that was some underhanded shit on their part. They basically said "it's only available to our Share Everything plans and don't try to do it again". Suffice to say she isn't a Rogers customer.

How long are you gone for? If you're gone for a week or two I'd probably still go with Roam so that you don't eat into your data bucket. The prices are pretty similar, with the only hassle being the sim change.
Just for 9 days, I'll probably go with Roam and also since I'm on an old plan I haven't called Rogers on purpose for anything period in years just so they don't fuck up something by accident, not that I have any reason to call.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Go with Roam, activate the sim card and a new number will be issued.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM   #8

Stuck with Roam thanks boys

Old 12-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #9
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

has anyone used roam in the LA area? just wondering how reliable it is and whether the speed was acceptable most of the time.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:13 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
My family uses Roam in LA regularly.

Overall speed is acceptable, except there are spots in residential areas where if you were to go indoors and the building's exterior is brick or concrete, you lose reception completely. In commercial, highly-populated areas, it's perfectly fine.

If it means anything, Roam's default network is T-Mobile. The network in LA got a lot better when T-Mobile acquired Metro PCS. It used to suck pretty bad due to network capacity (lack of) and the spectrum T-Mobile had at the time.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #11
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Just came back from LA area, I used Roam and it was fine.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote