REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #26
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

difficult for ICBC to truly compete with private insurance if they are saddled as the insurer of last resort. They'd get all the bad drivers while the private companies cherry pick all the good ones.

The government needs to keeps their hands out of the cookie jar of ICBC, BCHydro, etc and just let them operate.
Advertisement
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #27
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Private insurance.... best deals. Soundbites. Never worked that way. Private companies' only mandate is to make profit. One way or another they will be profitable.
I hope you understand ICBC does the same. Its a business after all. Believe me I seen people have there insurance voided when they got into a accident while impaired. Private or public they outcome is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
difficult for ICBC to truly compete with private insurance if they are saddled as the insurer of last resort. They'd get all the bad drivers while the private companies cherry pick all the good ones.

The government needs to keeps their hands out of the cookie jar of ICBC, BCHydro, etc and just let them operate.
Not exactly, ICBC does not have to give everyone the cheapest rate or even mandatorily insure them. If someone does not like paying xxx amount of money due to having little driving experience or at-fault claims they go private insurance or take the bus.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #28
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
I think the only reasonable step left for the province and ICBC is allow private companies to start selling basic 3rd party coverage, This way ICBC won't have to shell out the first 200k everytime anyone has a accident.

I know this may not be popular with some but ultimately we need a free market system for insurance and this way people without at fault claims get the best deal and not have to pay for people causing accident.

Also they should significantly increase price of anyone with more that 1 at-faults claim to discourage them from driving or force them to take mandatory driving lessons. This seems harsh but at the end of the day driving is not a right, much good can come if more people leave cars at home and take alternative transportation.
Just wondering, have you ever dealt with private insurance? I have and it was not pleasant. ICBC has it's faults, but I'd much rather deal with ICBC than any private insurance company.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'll bitch and moan about the high price of ICBC, but ultimately, having the the peace of mind knowing that no matter what, I'll be covered(barring me doing something stupidly illegal), is what INSURANCE is for.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2016, 09:29 PM   #29
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
I hope you understand ICBC does the same. Its a business after all. Believe me I seen people have there insurance voided when they got into a accident while impaired. Private or public they outcome is the same.
Quick Google search will show you the answer.

According to the Criminal Code of Canada, you can have alcohol up to 0.08
According to the BC Motor Vehicle Act, you can have alcohol up to 0.05
According to ICBC, you can NOT drink & drive

CBA British Columbia - 190
Denied Insurance Coverage for Drinking and Driving - ICBC Advice Guide

So if you drink & drive and cause an accident, your ICBC insurance will be DENIED even if the police does not charge you for DUI because you were under the legal limit.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:48 PM   #30
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Public audit of what the liberals did with the money they scooped up from ICBC instead.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 AM   #31
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Quick Google search will show you the answer.

According to the Criminal Code of Canada, you can have alcohol up to 0.08
According to the BC Motor Vehicle Act, you can have alcohol up to 0.05
According to ICBC, you can NOT drink & drive

CBA British Columbia - 190
Denied Insurance Coverage for Drinking and Driving - ICBC Advice Guide

So if you drink & drive and cause an accident, your ICBC insurance will be DENIED even if the police does not charge you for DUI because you were under the legal limit.
From the site you provided:
"ICBC will often breach you of your contract of insurance despite the fact that the police do not charge you criminally with impaired driving but provide you with an administrative penalty."

A lawyer site trying to argue that you need to be at least .10 before impaired.

"In summary, despite the fact that the law requires ICBC to prove that alcohol consumption caused or contributed to an accident, ICBC ignores the law and in almost all situations will hold you in breach of your contract of insurance. Therefore, you are at the mercy of the police officer who may be overaggressive in providing an administrative penalty to you. The implication could be far greater than simply having to pay a fine for the impaired driving. You could be without insurance coverage and that could be a financial disaster."
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #32
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
lol what was up with the "new, upgraded" information system that ICBC recently did?

i've had more than a few insurance agents say it sucks and was actually a downgrade over the previous one.
Most of the insurance agents I've met don't seem like the most technologically savvy people, so at least initially I'd lean more towards it being their dislike of change than flaws in the system.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #33
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Just wondering, have you ever dealt with private insurance? I have and it was not pleasant. ICBC has it's faults, but I'd much rather deal with ICBC than any private insurance company.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'll bitch and moan about the high price of ICBC, but ultimately, having the the peace of mind knowing that no matter what, I'll be covered(barring me doing something stupidly illegal), is what INSURANCE is for.
But see thats exactly it, grass is always greener on the other side. I talked to a few people who had to file a claim on house or car with family insurance and they never had a problem they also said service is much better.

And how many times do we hear ICBC adjusters being unfair or low balling offers? Just because ICBC is a public insurance I don't think we can blindly trust them. That being said in 10 years I been diving I have only filed one glass claim and 2 fender benders that were other persons fault so I have not had a bad experience in any of these.

Its just matter of perspective I guess, people will always have good and bad experiences with both.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #34
RS Lurker, I don't post!

The new system is a mix of good things and bad. The interface is literally step by step insurance for dummies system and is all point and click based for the most part. For some idiot learning for the first time it's a easy to use system. For a seasoned veteran that can pump out transactions in mere minutes ICBC has made it a longer process.

As far as we know the old system had 1 person left who was capable of fixing it and this new one is a system used at other insurance companies which has been re worked for how ICBC conducts business.

The system I feel has made the old steps a long process due to the point and click nature of the tasks. Its incredibly frustrating assisting clients now that have been use to the speed factor whereas now no matter how fast one goes we are held up by all the extra pointing and clicking and extra screens added.
nuttydave127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:03 PM   #35
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Quote:
Meanwhile, the coming years will see a dramatic decline in accidents due to the increasing prevalence of anti-collision technology on the roads. Most new cars come equipped with auto-braking sensors that make rear-end collisions a thing of the past. As these new cars replace the old ones on the road, injury claims will no doubt dwindle.

Nicholas Parker, Vancouver
Or perhaps licenses shouldn't be handed out like candy to people who can't drive, generally a pilot's license isn't handed out to someone who can't fly based on some perverted sense of being owed such a privilege without showing merit. Driving around the block reveals absolutely nothing about how a driver will be able to handle a vehicle in an emergency, and yet that's all that is required to obtain the most basic license (L). Those kinds of standards are the laughing stock of the world, it is absolutely disgusting that people are allowed to handle multi thousand pound vehicles that could absolutely demolish a crowd of people based on how they can handle suburban cruising.

Then you see articles about how injury claims and repair costs are bankrupting ICBC, well no shit Sherlock, you've let some of the least qualified and under-prepared people in the world loose on the road, what did you expect?

Last edited by Yodamaster; 01-01-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
Or perhaps licenses shouldn't be handed out like candy to people who can't drive, generally a pilot's license isn't handed out to someone who can't fly based on some perverted sense of being owed such a privilege without showing merit. Driving around the block reveals absolutely nothing about how a driver will be able to handle a vehicle in an emergency, and yet that's all that is required to obtain the most basic license (L). Those kinds of standards are the laughing stock of the world, it is absolutely disgusting that people are allowed to handle multi thousand pound vehicles that could absolutely demolish a crowd of people based on how they can handle suburban cruising.

Then you see articles about how injury claims and repair costs are bankrupting ICBC, well no shit Sherlock, you've let some of the least qualified and under-prepared people in the world loose on the road, what did you expect?
People widely know that ICBC does NOT care about road safety or driver's ability.

In Japan for example, they take driving dead seriously. Same as Germany.
You MUST attend $3,500-$4,500 driving school.

I know for a fact that Japanese parents freak out when ICBC tells their kids that all they have to do is to find their buddy's older brother (as long as he's 25) and drive around on the road.

First and foremost, they will let you use the simulator.
Unlike with ICBC, you MUST be taught by government authorized instructor for whole time. No, not your friend.

Mandatory standard: minimum 34 hours driving lesson & minimum 26 hours of in class lesson.

iIn class lesson, minimum 26 hours

Here's what typical driving school looks like.
Before you're permitted to go on the road with your instructor, you must complete technical ability test.

Also, unlike ICBC standard, Emergency Maneuver is mandatory skill in Japan. The driving school will use these cars to simulate emergency maneuver during slippery road condition.

The exam will be 100 questions, but 5 of them will be scenario based questions with pictures on it.
The time limit will be 60 min for 95 questions and 30 min for 5 scenario questions. So 1 hr 30 min total.

oh yeah, and the License Renewal is another story too.
You must do quick retest and driving test to show your instructor you're still up to date. Comes with sight & hearing test.

Here in BC, all you have to do is pay ICBC $75 fee every 5 years and THAT'S IT.
No re-test, no re-driving test, no sight & hearing test. NOTHING.
It doesn't matter if you're 81 year old, just pay the $75 fee and that's it.

This is only an example of Japan, I know Germany has very tough standard too, as they should.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #37
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,515 Times in 4,906 Posts
Are there any C-Lai's driving in Japan or Germany?
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Are there any C-Lai's driving in Japan or Germany?
I don't know, but my quick research shows followings;

Germany does NOT allow Chinese license, it has something to do with EU/EAA standard.
If you're from USA, depending on what state you're from, you may allowed to drive. Looks like they don't even allow Canadian license.
http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/EN/Doc...ublicationFile

Japan does NOT allow Chinese license. It has something to do with the standard set by Geneva Convention on Road Traffic.
However if you have Canadian license, you will get exempted from exam. So obviously Japan isn't as tough as Germany.
They do also recognize State of Maryland (USA) license as exam exempt.
????????????????????????????????
http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/...5.files/en.pdf
Old 01-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #39
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
In Japan for example, they take driving dead seriously. Same as Germany.
Population densities:
Japan - 336 ppl/km2
Germany - 234 ppl/km2
Canada - 4 ppl/km2

Having dedicated driving schools with classrooms and simulators and closed circuits is great and all, but it only really works when all your population is close together. It would cost a fortune to have all that set up in Canada.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
I don't know, but my quick research shows followings;

Germany does NOT allow Chinese license, it has something to do with EU/EAA standard.
If you're from USA, depending on what state you're from, you may allowed to drive. Looks like they don't even allow Canadian license.
http://www.bmvi.de/SharedDocs/EN/Doc...ublicationFile

Japan does NOT allow Chinese license. It has something to do with the standard set by Geneva Convention on Road Traffic.
However if you have Canadian license, you will get exempted from exam. So obviously Japan isn't as tough as Germany.
They do also recognize State of Maryland (USA) license as exam exempt.
????????????????????????????????
http://www.keishicho.metro.tokyo.jp/...5.files/en.pdf
Do you mean exchanging for a local license? I drove in Germany with my Canadian license and they don't seem to have a problem
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Do you mean exchanging for a local license? I drove in Germany with my Canadian license and they don't seem to have a problem
As I said, I don't know.

All I did was went on Google and found some info.