REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 12-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

router set up quesiton

Internet provider is Telus and they provided me with a T1200H router/modem/tv. Its basically a 3in1 device.
However, the wifi signal is crap on it- download speed at 4mbps. So i've picked up a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900. Great router. Now i get max download speed at 27mbps.

Question- Should i disable the Telus router? Do i really need to? I havent done it yet so im still able to see both routers, however, i just connect to the Netgear and just leave the Telus one alone.

Great router btw...
Advertisement
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
I would just disable the wifi on the telus router... I experience this crappy wifi with telus before switching to shaw.. thats a great router...

OR you just leave the telus wifi on and setup the Netgear as a repeater/AP
Old 12-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It depends on how big on your home and how much bandwidth you are getting.

If you house is small / if you want the most out of your router.. then turn your AIO into bridge mode and let the Netgear take over.

If you just plug it in as is, you are just using it as an Access Point (AP), ie not using the router component. But if you are in a small apartment / are not that tech inclined.. that that is the easiest way.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

I'm in a bigger size house with decent amount of sqft to cover? What's my best option?
I've just "plugged" it in so far. But so far so good. Wouldn't mind optimizing it tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
It depends on how big on your home and how much bandwidth you are getting.

If you house is small / if you want the most out of your router.. then turn your AIO into bridge mode and let the Netgear take over.

If you just plug it in as is, you are just using it as an Access Point (AP), ie not using the router component. But if you are in a small apartment / are not that tech inclined.. that that is the easiest way.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #5

Here's a weird thing that happened..
I disabled the telus router and I stopped getting email and Facebook updates to my phone via wifi.
I'm still able to search online, but not getting any notifications through. Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

Try it from a Laptop? are you sure your phone is not going through data instead of Wifi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
I disabled the telus router and I stopped getting email and Facebook updates to my phone via wifi.
I'm still able to search online, but not getting any notifications through. Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

I assumed you meant you turned on the Port bridging feature? Bridge Mode - Using Your Own Router - bhzof35755

and you have plugged your Netgear to the right port?

Quote:
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
if ur running bridge mode on the telus router rmb to turn off the wifi on the telus router as well or else u'll be creating ur own wifi saturation. if ur netgear router is far enough where the wifi wont interfear with each other than u can leave the wifi turned on in the telus router.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:46 AM   #9

For that run Netspot Free version is fine for most users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
if ur running bridge mode on the telus router rmb to turn off the wifi on the telus router as well or else u'll be creating ur own wifi saturation. if ur netgear router is far enough where the wifi wont interfear with each other than u can leave the wifi turned on in the telus router.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Whether you turn off the WiFi on the Telus router is neither here nor there. It's your choice. Either way will work fine.

The question is similar to asking if an apartment dweller will get better WiFi if the suite next to him is vacant.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #11

What is bridge mode? I basically just have the netgear plugged into the telus right now any everything has been working great. Both routers are right beside each other btw.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #12

Bridge modes basically means turning the AIO device you have now into just a modem and your Netgear router is directly connected to the internet and let that handle routing of the internet traffic for you.

Quote:
What is bridge mode? I basically just have the netgear plugged into the telus right now any everything has been working great. Both routers are right beside each other btw.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:28 PM   #13

It is more nuanced then that. Telus router are underpowered, so under heavy load it will not be able to handle higher traffic like better routers can.

Telcomm companies have costs in mind for all these, if the free home routers get saturated, they don't need that much bandwidth if all hops are running at full efficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Whether you turn off the WiFi on the Telus router is neither here nor there. It's your choice. Either way will work fine.

The question is similar to asking if an apartment dweller will get better WiFi if the suite next to him is vacant.

Last edited by godwin; 12-04-2016 at 01:16 PM.