REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-07-2016, 05:09 PM   #26
Professional Lurker

seems like some the guys here that say its ok to drive your nice car during the winter are the guys that dont work on their cars. Im sure they havent come across seized bolts or even bolt heads that have become round because of rust. I used to have a wrx and drove that thing everywhere. Drove it up to cypress numerous times. I had it for a while and just seeing the difference of the underbody when i got it compared to before I sold it is huge. Salt is aggressive on cars and its components. A 30 min job to replace something could turn into a 3 hour headache due to rust. I guess none of that matters if you pay someone else to do the work on your car anyways.
Advertisement

Last edited by EX-R; 12-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #27
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
^lol or some guys on here drive their nice car because its the only car they have. That being said I'm tempted to pick up a cheap e36 beater for situations like this

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
^lol or some guys on here drive their nice car because its the only car they have. That being said I'm tempted to pick up a cheap e36 beater for situations like this
And that's understandable, it's a luxury to have somewhere you can store your car safely, and be able to afford another car just for when you don't want to drive your pleasure car.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Just plastidip the bottom 1/2 of the car. Problem solved.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #30
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Since the winter "beater" I got actually turn into my new project car and Instead of driving it this winter I took it apart for the winter lol. I'm force to drive my summer ride this year on winter tires.

I do work on my own cars and i know all about the headache of rust and seized bolts. If I ran the car thru touchless car wash everyweek will that make a big difference? And no washing the undercarriage out everyday is not going to happen....
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #31
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
I ran my FRS through touchless car washes every week or 2 last winter and the under carriage nozzles did a pretty good job cleaning up all the salt and what not

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-R View Post
seems like some the guys here that say its ok to drive your nice car during the winter are the guys that dont work on their cars. Im sure they havent come across seized bolts or even bolt heads that have become round because of rust. I used to have a wrx and drove that thing everywhere. Drove it up to cypress numerous times. I had it for a while and just seeing the difference of the underbody when i got it compared to before I sold it is huge. Salt is aggressive on cars and its components. A 30 min job to replace something could turn into a 3 hour headache due to rust. I guess none of that matters if you pay someone else to do the work on your car anyways.
I daily my E38, idgaf. They made over 16k of them, when it rusts I'll just get another one.

Unless your car is super rare, just drive it.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #33

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
I ran my FRS through touchless car washes every week or 2 last winter and the under carriage nozzles did a pretty good job cleaning up all the salt and what not
how many winter have you been thru with the frs so far?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #34
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
how many winter have you been thru with the frs so far?
This will be my second

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #35
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
This will be my second
which touchless has undercarriage wash?
Old 12-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Husky touchless wash

Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #37
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
I work on all of my cars, regardless of if it's my winter beater or summer car. If you take care of your car properly during winter, it wont be any different working underneath than a summer only car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pathfinder Brake Bleed.jpg (84.2 KB, 0 views)
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 12:17 AM   #38
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I only use car wash if I am back from driving on the Coq. I don't see much of a point using it other wise.

You want your car to last? Keep it in a garage. Extreme temperature fluctuations cause more problems with different materials expanding / contracting at different rates than anything. How do you think "recyclable" plastic know when to break down?

Oh one tip, spend time, applying some silicone grease to your door seals, and also the mating surfaces.

Though have to say, my BMW shoe hasn't been started for over a year. I used to drive that around the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threezero View Post
Since the winter "beater" I got actually turn into my new project car and Instead of driving it this winter I took it apart for the winter lol. I'm force to drive my summer ride this year on winter tires.

I do work on my own cars and i know all about the headache of rust and seized bolts. If I ran the car thru touchless car wash everyweek will that make a big difference? And no washing the undercarriage out everyday is not going to happen....

Last edited by godwin; 12-08-2016 at 12:24 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #39
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Worry about someone more worrisome, like are our children's children gonna have a world to grow up in. Thats what the fuck i'm worried about!!
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
While the temps are still freezing the salt won't do a whole lot in terms of corrosion. Make sure you wash it off when the temps start heating up again.

Parking in a heated garage when your car is caked in salt is worse than parking outside.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #41
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
I used to do all that. Did it for 10 years then one day, I just had enough... went out and bought a new car with warranty the same day. Also on that day, I realized a car is not something to be proud of, it does not define who I am. It's a tool that gets me from A to B and I need it to be comfy, reliable and quick. When it's no longer one of these three things, I get another tool.
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-SPEC View Post
Worry about someone more worrisome, like are our children's children gonna have a world to grow up in. Thats what the fuck i'm worried about!!
Why worry about our childrens children, when there are people in this world today who are starving and dying. If you live your life in constant agony over the future, and suffering, you are going to have a sad life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I used to do all that. Did it for 10 years then one day, I just had enough... went out and bought a new car with warranty the same day. Also on that day, I realized a car is not something to be proud of, it does not define who I am. It's a tool that gets me from A to B and I need it to be comfy, reliable and quick. When it's no longer one of these three things, I get another tool.
You my friend, just skipped from being a member of the car enthusiast community to being just some other random person on the street. You just moved from being the 1% who cares and enjoys car, to being part of the 99% who don't care. Have fun!

This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #43
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
I used to daily my s2000 all year. Until when i tried to work on the car in spring and noticed the coilover collars have corroded to shit along with bunch of other components
Ever since then I've been buying a daily/beater to boot around every winter
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 01:07 PM   #44
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
You my friend, just skipped from being a member of the car enthusiast community to being just some other random person on the street. You just moved from being the 1% who cares and enjoys car, to being part of the 99% who don't care. Have fun!
Yup, having lots of fun... being able to drive it and have it do 0-60 in 5 seconds all day, every day... that's fun. Stressing about how I'll get to work the next day because the alternator died again... not fun... Priorities change, a car isn't something you should be worried about.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #45
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
So what you bought was an appliance?

Jokes aside, there's definitely some validity in your comment. For some people its just a phase like skateboarding in their teens to photography to cars to home ownership and decking out your crib in the latest from Urban Barn. I felt the same way about photography lol used to enjoy it until it got annoying and moved on to other interests.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #46

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
One of these days when I'm older I'm going to own a real piece of shit car. I'm going to park in the closest parking spots even if my car barely fits and I'm not going to give a fuck if someone dings or scratches it.

It's going to be glorious.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Yup, having lots of fun... being able to drive it and have it do 0-60 in 5 seconds all day, every day... that's fun. Stressing about how I'll get to work the next day because the alternator died again... not fun... Priorities change, a car isn't something you should be worried about.
Absolutely, although my post had a little bit of a ribbing tone, I was only kidding around. As AK pointed out, people fall in and out of hobbies all the time. NBD.

I can't imagine those who have to live with having a project car as their only means of transportation. There's something to be said for having a solid means of transportation (a tool as you say), and then of course having a show car, track car, or other vehicle as a toy to play with on the side.

You're right, when you get into your car to go to work in the morning, it needs to just work, and it needs to be able to do the things a normal car can do, AKA get into parking lots, and over speed bumps, be semi comfortable, suit your lifestyle, etc.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #48

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
why not now? LOL i'm sure any beater can be had for ~$500, assuming insurance for winter months will run $300-$400 so ~$800 all in...might even save money on gas depending on what car you'll be sitting.

more or less the same cost as buying a brand new set of winter tires

i might actually consider that when my winters need replacing
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #49
GS8

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Yes

For the price of an alternator, I can buy a lot of dandelion and cremini. Yup, weed and mushrooms can take me to places no car ever can.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #50
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
One of these days when I'm older I'm going to own a real piece of shit car. I'm going to park in the closest parking spots even if my car barely fits and I'm not going to give a fuck if someone dings or scratches it.

It's going to be glorious.
Welcome to owning an offroader. When I had my YJ I didn't give a shit what people did to it as I'd already done much worse myself.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote