REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Are the roads salted still? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711157-roads-salted-still.html)

clevernickname 12-06-2016 01:43 PM

Are the roads salted still?

Don't live near a main road and don't want to find out by driving on them. Referring to lower mainland area. I've only been on 33rd today and didn't see any there. But maybe something like 41st or broadway is salted?

meme405 12-06-2016 01:52 PM

Yes, they salt and brine the roads almost all winter long. even if the temps only hover around 0C they are still salting at nights.

clevernickname 12-06-2016 01:58 PM

Ah ok. Are you guys who have another DD not driving your performance/sports cars for most of winter? I'm wondering how bad it will be for my car with all the salt. And not wanting to spray it down every time I use it.

Dragon-88 12-06-2016 02:15 PM

Its all personal choice, you could always use car2go or those other car options If you aren't content with using your own vehicle. Most people who have 2 vehicles always drive the lesser vehicle in these conditions.

meme405 12-06-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevernickname (Post 8807712)
Ah ok. Are you guys who have another DD not driving your performance/sports cars for most of winter? I'm wondering how bad it will be for my car with all the salt. And not wanting to spray it down every time I use it.

Totally depends on the person.

Some see it as a badge of honor to drive their car all the time, these are the types of people who like to rub it in others faces that they daily drive a gutted race car, or a 600hp beast with a stage 3 clutch, or a ferrari. Some of these people are the type who make fun of others for not driving their cars all year round.

And then there is the other group, guys who put their cars in storage for the winter, or park their cars when the weather gets bad, usually they drive some sort of daily, or a different car which may be: More reliable, less valuable (sentimentally or $$), safer, better equipped, etc.

Do whatever you want, if you love your car and would be heartbroken to see someone run into it, or see it rust, or have a dirty undercarriage then just park it, and buy something else, or transit, or car2go, whatever. If you don't care, or aren't bothered by it, and will simply fix your car if something happens, then by all means drive it.

It all comes down to personal preference, and ignore anyone who tells you otherwise. Parking your car doesn't make you a better owner, and driving your racecar year round doesn't make you more of an enthusiast.

6o4__boi 12-06-2016 02:35 PM

if you live in the LM it honestly doesn't get that bad to the point where you have to worry about the salt/road conditions affecting your car

nsx042003 12-06-2016 02:38 PM

Rinse the wheelwells and underside every night after you've used it on the road.

meme405 12-06-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8807721)
if you live in the LM it honestly doesn't get that bad to the point where you have to worry about the salt/road conditions affecting your car

He does have a ford though...

I've heard, I wouldn't know since I've never owned one, but I've heard that on a nice night, if you sit and admire your ford, and you listen really closely, you can actually hear it rusting away to nothingness.

:troll:

68style 12-06-2016 07:08 PM

Why is anyone with a brand new car in BC even asking this question? Come back concerned when your car is 20 years old and you live in Toronto or something...

twitchyzero 12-06-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8807784)
Why is anyone with a brand new car in BC even asking this question? Come back concerned when your car is 20 years old and you live in Toronto or something...

babying a vehicle should start when it's new and not when rust has already started to form?

i mean some dont even like driving their toys in the rain...there's no point debating what's right and what's overly-sensitive.

SkunkWorks 12-06-2016 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8807784)

Well you are talking to a guy who is trying to seek diminished value from a side mirror popping off...

:pokerface:

320icar 12-06-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevernickname (Post 8807709)
Don't live near a main road and don't want to find out by driving on them. Referring to lower mainland area. I've only been on 33rd today and didn't see any there. But maybe something like 41st or broadway is salted?

Lol, what do you drive, a Toyota 2000gt or something? It's Vancouver, the most mild climate in Canada. Deal with it

lilaznviper 12-06-2016 11:21 PM

OP... problem solved
http://i.imgur.com/CsVfkDQ.jpg

clevernickname 12-07-2016 12:07 AM

Damn, sorry I've offended so many people.

Mancini 12-07-2016 07:25 AM

No, they're not salted still. I'm sure the truck moves while salting.

GLOW 12-07-2016 07:46 AM

604_boi's right...

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevernickname (Post 8807846)
Damn, sorry I've offended so many people.

they're not offended...no need to get salty...

aaaaaand i'm done....

http://static.fjcdn.com/gifs/Grandpa_e3efae_976974.gif

underscore 12-07-2016 09:26 AM

If driving a vehicle in the GVRD through the winter was so bad for it, why do all the cars driven by people who wash them maybe once a year still look fine? If you're concerned, wash the underside and wheel wells semi-regularly, but there's really nothing to worry about in BC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilaznviper (Post 8807841)
OP... problem solved
http://i.imgur.com/CsVfkDQ.jpg

Pretty sure that'll make it rust even more since it's trapping the moisture.

- kT 12-07-2016 12:44 PM

I picked up new wheels for the rice rocket a few months back with polished lips. salt messes that up pretty good so I opted to buy a cheap EG for this year. glad I did too, with the winter that's incoming. to each their own as mentioned, but salt + potential for accidents + general increased wear on the exterior and interior.. didn't mind shelling out a few hundred bucks for a beater

originalhypa 12-07-2016 01:37 PM

Even a car in storage will degrade this time of year. Unless my garage is heated all winter, my polished aluminum and chrome parts oxidize just sitting there.

Dat feel you get when your polished intercooler takes a beating, even though you coated it with Zoop Seal......

:okay:

Akinari 12-07-2016 01:37 PM

When most of your car is plastic :awwyeah:

I still try and spray down the doors and underbody or anywhere else that accumulates salt after every drive though. Doesn't hurt to do so, can only prolong the car's longevity, even if it's a DD so why not?

Reeyal 12-07-2016 02:28 PM

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/...x/64158090.jpg

Don't worry about the salt in LM. Just wash the underside often.

The_AK 12-07-2016 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reeyal (Post 8807981)
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/...x/64158090.jpg

Don't worry about the salt in LM. Just wash the underside often.

refer to my sig

swfk 12-07-2016 03:26 PM

I do agree about the driving your car instead of preserving its value. But I still refuse to drive my S2000 when the roads are salted. Sure saves me a lot of headaches to clean the under carriage and future seized bolts.

meme405 12-07-2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swfk (Post 8808003)
I do agree about the driving your car instead of preserving its value. But I still refuse to drive my S2000 when the roads are salted. Sure saves me a lot of headaches to clean the under carriage and future seized bolts.

Exactly, most people I'd challenge aren't doing it to preserve the value of their car, they do it to preserve it's condition, and not for someone elses enjoyment, but for their own enjoyment/sanity.

!LittleDragon 12-07-2016 04:40 PM

Unless you own a rare car... like really really rare, a car is not an investment. It will lose value. It will cost you money to own and operate. It will not make you money.

Just drive it, if you plan to keep it then take care of it. I'm on my second new car in 5 years and I never wash it... lol... I know I'll be trading it in for another new car. Wear and tear/corrosion/curbed wheels/scraped undercarriage... next guy's problem... lol