REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Vancouver City Parking Ticket - PayByPhone

I paid for parking from 7:45pm to 10pm and the car got ticketed and towed at 8:20pm.

When I went back to look for the car I noticed the restriction on the sign and it said 'temporary restriction, no parking from 7:30pm - 12am'.

However, PayByPhone didn't say there were any restrictions at all and I topped up the meter by phone at least 3 times without any mentioning of any restrictions.

I spoke with Van City Parking dispute and they said it's my problem and if I dispute the ticket and lose, the ticket amount will get tripled from $50 to $150.

Do I have a good case if I dispute the ticket? Van City did not update PayByPhone with restrictions. PayByPhone always told me of the temporary restrictions in the past.

Thanks!
Advertisement

Last edited by kungpow; 12-06-2016 at 10:13 PM.
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

You would still be at fault. When you're getting the 5-digit number to punch into the app you should always scan for any temporary restriction signs. It is your own fault for not noticing it.

I would just pay them ASAP as it would save me the headache. If you're driving and parking downtown, you can definitely afford it.
axxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

I spoke with PayByPhone and PayByPhone said it is the city's problem as they didn't update the meter with restrictions electronically.

How is it not the city's fault? Shouldn't the city be updating PayByPhone with restrictions? The city knows of the restrictions way beforehand and didn't update. Why was the info not updated? There's no excuse for this.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,191 Times in 481 Posts
Do you feel at least a little at fault for not paying attention to parking signs?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #5
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
The city is not obliged to update PayByPhone. The sign was there when you parked, it's your responsibility that you didn't see it, not the city's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Do you feel at least a little at fault for not paying attention to parking signs?
Not a bit. When I first started using PayByPhone when it came out, I always paid attention to the parking signs. After using PayByPhone for so many years and never having a problem with PayByPhone informing me of the restrictions, I went straight to inputting the location number.

The city updated the physical signage on the meter and on the post but not paybyphone. Why would you not update everything?

Last edited by kungpow; 12-07-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
but isn't paybyphone a 3rd party app? i could technically throw money down a meter and it'll add time even if there's a restriction sign on it...actually i might have done that once and realized afterwards

the only restriction i've ever received from the app was the 2 hour one which prohibited me from adding more time. but then again i always check for any restrictions beforehand so that might be why i've never been notified with any other restrictions.

in any case i would say you have zero chance of successfully disputing it

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
The city updated the physical signage on the meter and on the post but not paybyphone. Why would you not update everything?
So you DID see the physical signage on the meter AND on the post.
AND you still decided to park there.

And P.S: What does getting a parking ticket, issued by the City have to do with the "Police Forum", aside from being a safe-heaven from being failed??
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #9
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
Paybyphone isn't city run anyways. It's run by verrus and it's worldwide. You can't expect them to update every restriction on their app every time there's a temporary restriction.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:58 PM   #10
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
Paybyphone isn't city run anyways. It's run by verrus and it's worldwide. You can't expect them to update every restriction on their app every time there's a temporary restriction.
I understand it is not run by the city but PayByPhone wouldn't be a valid parking method if the city didn't allow it.

The city took the man power to physically label the signage on every meter on the block and also update the signage on the posts but they did not update the information on paybyphone. Looks like negligence to me. Don't have paybyphone as a payment method if the system doesn't work. It's almost like the compass card fiasco.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #11
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
Quote:
I understand it is not run by the city but PayByPhone wouldn't be a valid parking method if the city didn't allow it.

The city took the man power to physically label the signage on every meter on the block and also update the signage on the posts but they did not update the information on paybyphone. Looks like negligence to me. Don't have paybyphone as a payment method if the system doesn't work. It's almost like the compass card fiasco.
Well like you said, they have signs at every meter. What more do you want? You need them to spoon feed you? You saw the signs and still decided to park and got towed.
Good luck with your dispute. LOL
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCubed View Post
Well like you said, they have signs at every meter. What more do you want? You need them to spoon feed you? You saw the signs and still decided to park and got towed.
Good luck with your dispute. LOL
I noticed the signs after I got towed.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Look. You're hooped. It sucks to not have seen it, but it was there fair and square.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Signs were posted when you parked so I would say it is your fault. my .02 cents.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
It's almost like the compass card fiasco.
i was thinking more like an episode of parking wars

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
The fact that you went to the meter to get the number, and acknowledge that every meter on the block was labelled, and the fact that likely almost nobody else was parked there shows you have almost a complete lack of spacial awareness.

I'd say the negligence is on your part for failing to notice all the signage and still parking there. Regardless your entire dispute case hinges on the fact that the city is going to acknowledge they had owed you a duty of care to update the paybyphone app restrictions, and I just fail to see them wanting to admit to that. So I'm fairly certain your shit out of luck.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
I paid for parking from 7:45pm to 10pm and the car got ticketed and towed at 8:20pm.

When I went back to look for the car I noticed the restriction on the sign and it said 'temporary restriction, no parking from 7:30pm - 12am'.

However, PayByPhone didn't say there were any restrictions at all and I topped up the meter by phone at least 3 times without any mentioning of any restrictions.

I spoke with Van City Parking dispute and they said it's my problem and if I dispute the ticket and lose, the ticket amount will get tripled from $50 to $150.

Do I have a good case if I dispute the ticket? Van City did not update PayByPhone with restrictions. PayByPhone always told me of the temporary restrictions in the past.

Thanks!

It'll only tell you if it's a recurring restriction (No parking M-F 3:30-6pm).

If it's just manual restriction (ie. city worker stuck a temp sign on the meter for Canucks game) payby phone will not let you know.

The amount of man power it takes to submit and implement a coding change to the app developer far exceeds some city worker going around stapling signs. i hope you realize Verrus Paybyphone is a company and COV is just their client.

c'mon dude!

On a related note - ICBC needs to do a better job of educating drivers on OBSERVATION during L N and class 5 test. It's like no body fuken looks around anymore. wtf!?!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
On a related note - ICBC needs to do a better job of educating drivers on OBSERVATION during L N and class 5 test. It's like no body fuken looks around anymore. wtf!?!
Overreliance on blindspot sensors, back up cameras, lane departure warning, forward collision warning, etc.

Technology is making people stupid.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #19
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The fact that you went to the meter to get the number, and acknowledge that every meter on the block was labelled, and the fact that likely almost nobody else was parked there shows you have almost a complete lack of spacial awareness.
I noticed the signage when I went back to the car and it wasn't there. There were other cars parked there when I paid for parking.

Quote:
Regardless your entire dispute case hinges on the fact that the city is going to acknowledge they had owed you a duty of care to update the paybyphone app restrictions, and I just fail to see them wanting to admit to that. So I'm fairly certain your shit out of luck
I have already proved this by calling paybyphone and they said they did not receive any updates on restrictions.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

OP is asking if we feel he has a good case if he disputes the ticket, and I think the consensus is no.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #21
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I see this as any other road sign whether it be a parking sign, speed limit sign etc. So long as that sign is visibly placed, the onus is on the driver to see and follow it.

Kungpow, you clearly have made up in your mind that you are not responsible for this ticket so just dispute it if you feel this strongly about it. That's what the process is for. Let us know the outcome of the dispute. If you do in fact win, that's a serious downtown parking game changer....
Brad Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #22
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

good luck trying to resolve that in court...

City is not obligated to update third party convince on that.

looks like your trying to justify failure to obliged parking regulations (IE SIGNS) and saw other people do it and used pbp like usual...

Mind you PBP also doesn't tell you when bus lane are in effect either, even with that the onus is on you as well...
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
I have already proved this by calling paybyphone and they said they did not receive any updates on restrictions.
No!

That's not what I said.

Quote:
Regardless your entire dispute case hinges on the fact that the city is going to acknowledge they had owed you a duty of care to update the paybyphone app restrictions, and I just fail to see them wanting to admit to that. So I'm fairly certain your shit out of luck
Read it again. I am not asking IF the COV updated the Paybyphone app with the restriction. I asking if you believe the COV owed you the duty of care to update the app for you.

AKA do you think that because the COV did not update the Pay by phone app with the restrictions, you are absolved of your duty to know what the parking restrictions are based on the signage.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #24
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:

No. Paybyphone mimics what you do when you pay for the street parking via coins or CC. E.g. you can still insert coins and park your car there. But, best believe that you will get ticketed or even towed if it's during a restricted time. It's not negligence, the app meets all the functions that a coin paying user would do.

Lesson learned on your part. Charge it to experience.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #25
NNT
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Talking about pay by phone, anyone else notice their app is so slow after the last update?
NNT is offline   Reply With Quote