REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

How often do you review traffic rules?

This is probably more relevant to newer drivers, but anyone is welcome to chime in. Wondering how often people actively review the rules of the road and keep themselves up to date?
My guess is that people are interested in reviewing less often (or not at all) as they become more experienced. Agree? Disagree? Or got any good stories about a time when you were up the creek without knowing something?

For those who do review, is there a particular resource, website or app that you've found to be helpful?

Thanks
Advertisement
cowboyj is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
:seriou sly:
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
What would be nice is if you got some little pamphlet when you renew your license that tells you all the rules that have changed since the last time you renewed. The government seems to do a terrible job of informing people of any changes when they first come out, so it'd be nice to see everything that's new in one place.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:37 PM   #4
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,818 Times in 3,901 Posts
only parking bylaws so to find ways to circumvent them
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #5

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I am Chinese and should review it every year, I read it to my wife every night before she goes to bed.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Honestly I learn about a lot of stuff just coming on RS, people ask questions and others answer them, or sometimes someone asks a question and I take it upon myself to read more up on it.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I reviewed the rules when I made a bet with a buddy about traffic circles.... so, I guess that's once every 14 years.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Great, thanks for the honest opinions! Here's a follow-up:

Knowing that the number of vehicle collisions in BC has skyrocketed from 260,000 annually to over 300,000/year in the last few years - what do you think are the biggest contributing factors, and what changes do you think are needed, if any?
Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyj View Post

Knowing that the number of vehicle collisions in BC has skyrocketed from 260,000 annually to over 300,000/year in the last few years - what do you think are the biggest contributing factors, and what changes do you think are needed, if any?
less roads (bike lanes etc) and more cars (more people)
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #10

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Seriously though, every time there's some little change to the laws, it's all over the news, and people lose their shit all over social media over how unfair/unconstitutional/retarded the change is. Government doesn't have to do a fucking thing, just let nature runs its course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

why need to folllow the rules when you dont need to
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Most people don't even know what's a flashing red-light 4 way stop procedure is.

New rules? Fuhgettaboutit.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 03:08 AM   #13
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What would be nice is if you got some little pamphlet when you renew your license that tells you all the rules that have changed since the last time you renewed. The government seems to do a terrible job of informing people of any changes when they first come out, so it'd be nice to see everything that's new in one place.
What would be nice if they stopped handing out license and also not accepting international licences on par with Canadian one.

Just to be clear I'm not talking about a race/country in particular. I seen it first hand where people know absolutely nothing about how to drive a car here used international license or obtain a bc one via there country license.

And not only that some people cannot even read signs in english, if that doesn't scare ya I don't know what can.

Last edited by vantrip; 12-24-2016 at 03:09 AM. Reason: english is also not my first language
vantrip is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 07:06 AM   #14
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Knowing that the number of vehicle collisions in BC has skyrocketed from 260,000 annually to over 300,000/year in the last few years
A 15% increase over multiple years is not "skyrocketing" - it is increasing proportionally to the population.

Mark
Old 12-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,063 Times in 554 Posts
Quote:

in a word... Richmond..

jokes aside... I don't know the context of what the "a few years" means in this sense. I do notice that there is just... a lot more traffic now and our roads really hasn't changed much to account for the extra volume. And it will only seem logical that this results in more accidents.

Another factor is that a lot drivers thinks better cars with the newer techs makes them better drivers... which... well... we all know how that goes...

To hit the point home... I have 2 vivid personal area that I know very well...

1. Central Blvd in front of metrotown - I mean come on... it was a 4 lane (2 lane each way) road since Eaton's was there... and after a cluster fuck with the roads closures/updates in the last few years... it stays at 4 lanes. Now I understand they can't widen the road due to physical restraints... but the traffic has gotten bad enough that I start to go to Metrotown VIA Kingsway though my house naturally lends itself to imperial/49th ave.

2. No 3 road in Richmond - We all saw the original 4 lane, changed to 6 lane with 2 dedicated center lanes for buses only.. back to 4 lane with a skytrain... I mean... do I need to pull up a chart saying how much more cars are in Richmond compared to... 5/10 years ago? I just avoid no. 3 all together now and only drives on there if I have to...

just my 0.02

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Great feedback and insights - people have pointed out problems with infrastructure not keeping up with population growth and traffic congestion, and specific examples of problem areas like metrotown/Richmond.

Differences in peoples' understanding of what flashing red means was also mentioned. People from other provinces like Ontario always ask me what flashing greens mean, because they haven't encountered those outside BC. I've seen people confused by white verticals too - the bus beside them moves, so they start going too.

As Vantrip mentioned, people coming in from other provinces or countries can simply convert their license in many cases. The laws and signs can be quite different where they're from.

Road infrastructure takes time to change, but maybe the out of town drivers can be addressed. How would you fix this? Stricter processes? Easier access to education and finding out what's different or what they don't know - would they even bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
What would be nice if they stopped handing out license and also not accepting international licences on par with Canadian one.

Just to be clear I'm not talking about a race/country in particular. I seen it first hand where people know absolutely nothing about how to drive a car here used international license or obtain a bc one via there country license.

And not only that some people cannot even read signs in english, if that doesn't scare ya I don't know what can.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #17
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

1) Either unifying all traffic rules in every province, or have everyone learn the rules of all provinces on the written test.
2) Do not accept international licence without a written test.
3) Requires a written retest every time a licence needs renewal.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i think you have enough info for that essay you need to do over the holidays.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-26-2016, 02:29 AM   #19

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
1) Either unifying all traffic rules in every province, or have everyone learn the rules of all provinces on the written test.
2) Do not accept international licence without a written test.
3) Requires a written retest every time a licence needs renewal.
I am no Elon Musk, but I do believe our country should start thinking to make our roads and highway network smarter rather than keep on educating ignorant drivers. Cars will have autopilot features for sure in the next decades, if these cars can pick up road information instead of rely on GPS or LTE or sensors. You see newer Tesla can read speed sign, Audi can pick up traffic light signal ahead, Mercedes can follow the cars in front of you and brake when needed. Your car will become a private taxi that will drive you to the destination. Just like my dad never switches on the turn signal when making a turn, this kind of driving manner can never, let's new technologies correct it.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:28 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
I am no Elon Musk, but I do believe our country should start thinking to make our roads and highway network smarter rather than keep on educating ignorant drivers. Cars will have autopilot features for sure in the next decades, if these cars can pick up road information instead of rely on GPS or LTE or sensors. You see newer Tesla can read speed sign, Audi can pick up traffic light signal ahead, Mercedes can follow the cars in front of you and brake when needed. Your car will become a private taxi that will drive you to the destination. Just like my dad never switches on the turn signal when making a turn, this kind of driving manner can never, let's new technologies correct it.
Remember this is Canada, we don't have cell service everywhere, we can get lots of snow and very cold winters. A lot of this stuff will take a lot longer to make functional here, unless you're fine only being able to travel in the GVRD during the summer.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote