REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Generation Z'ers can't speak properly or coherently

I work in retail @ Metrotown it's not something I want to do, but it pays the bills and puts food on the table. Every single day I engage with customers of various age gaps. Literally the worst customers I have the displeasure of serving is the Generation Z crowd i.e "the post millenials" & "the iGeneration"

I'm not saying these are inherently bad people per say, but they are completely socially inept. They can't speak properly or express what they want to say in a clear and concise manner. There's nothing more grating to the ears than hearing "ah,um, like, ugh, you know" every 3rd word that comes out of their mouths.

I absolutely blame technology, more specifically phones and texting. There's no doubt in my mind this online form of communication is making people dumber. People don't have to memorize or remember things because google is just a swipe away from getting anything you want to know right at the tip of your fingers.

I like Justin Trudeau and I voted for him, but if you ever listen to him talk when he's not reading off a teleprompter, he's guilty of this. He always says "ugh" and it's hard to listen to because as a listener you become fixed on that word and it's distracting as fuck.

I'm probably going to get downvoted into oblivion. If I were Prime Minister I would make it mandatory for everyone to read at a minimum 20 minutes every single day.
Advertisement
NotRevSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I would tend to agree with you, but the iGeneration is still pretty young, so you can't blame them. Wait until they're a little older and then they'll likely speak with proper diction.

Last edited by Sosodef; 12-24-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Sosodef is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
This is the shit young people are growing up with so I'm not shocked.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

One kid at my workplace always includes "like you know" in each of his sentences he speaks. Drives me insane.
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Absolutely can't stand people who say like every three or four words.

Also @ Harvey, Designer is almost always high so...LOL
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Not new, every generation has *something* to degenerate social aptitude. This gen it's social apps, last gen it was the IMs like messenger, ICQ, prior it was the television.

Look at it this way, if you didn't have the socially inept it would not create a problem for people to have jobs for.

The world spins on.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
If you think the way they speak is atrocious, you would be really impressed with their writing.

Blame the school system, for the last 20 years there has been a gradual transition away from grading scholastic performance, we are now at a point where your ability to achieve a passing mark has very little to do with your ability to demonstrate an understanding of the subject matter.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,428 Times in 5,104 Posts
A good friend of mine sorts resumes at a talent acquisition agency... and she was telling me she's not sure whats worse -- the ridiculous resumes from new immigrants she gets or the ones from younger kids... at least the new immigrants have a damn excuse though lol
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
I STILL don't get it

Isnt it the norm now for the whole society's education system to be based on "Yay! You get an A for effort and thats all that matters!"
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
ell oh ell!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
It really is quite sad and bewildering at the same time. I've witnessed first hand how a 20-something receptionist couldn't even draft up a simple holiday closure notice, and sometimes these people have university degrees. How do you even get through university when you can't string your ideas together in a coherent and presentable manner? Even though I didn't take a lot of English / arts courses, there were still enough essay / research papers that I had to write to get through the degree, and I just can't possibly understand how people can make the cut (in getting a university degree) while still failing so miserably when conveying themselves verbally or in written format.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #12
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
some relatives and family friends have brought their kids over to my parents place for social gatherings etc. so occasionally i'm forced to engaged in the typical banter etc.

one of my moms good friends had a son who was like 21 and just got engaged, tried to have a conversation with him and he couldnt muster more than 5 word sentances and if he made any sort of eye contact within the conversation he had a nervous twitch and broke away

experienced this quite a few times with different people of the age group

fiance has a cousin who is the youngest by far out of like 12 cousins, she is 19. me and the wifey always out and about doing things etc. in the summer we went to the PNE 4-5 times, saw her on the walk home and said we had just came from the PNE and the summer nights concerts

"oh yea hah people still go to those things? uhg so lame.."

oh yea, so what are you guys up to?

"heh i dunno, like doing whatever right?"

uhh..yea..
Old 12-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It was your use of proper sentences and language structure that made the PNE seem so lame.

Tell her "PNE was lit as fuck. for real for real." Then she would be thoroughly impressed with the attraction.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
so lit fam, I'm getting turnt, going 0 to hunnit hella fast - so triggered I'm so shook.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #15

I fucks with revscene all day.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 PM   #16
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Seriously. For those of you who have snapchat, they constantly run those "discovery" things as a banner ad while I try and look at my friends stories.

It is either...

1. A kardashian. Often 3/10 of the banners every day is about a kardashian
2. Someone throwing shade
3. Something being 100
4. Something being *blank* AF
5. Something about the vagina (thanks Cosmo?)
6. Gratuitous or innapropriate use of emoji's
Edit: 7. How could I forget squad and fam and lit and steez and fleek or whatever the fuck dictionary tween twits are using nowadays

Sigh.... I am only 27, but I feel like I'm fucking 72
Old 12-24-2016, 07:44 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
Funny, many of the 30, 40 and 50 year olds I encounter are fucking idiots as well. Its not a generational thing.
I would blame technology for certain types of difficulty interacting, but for every kid that doesn't know how to engage in conversation, theres a 50 year old that won't say thank you when you hold a door for them, a 40 year old blaming whatever race he isn't a part of of him being an underemployed lazy broke fuck, or a 70 year old talking about how "the gays" are destroying the sanctity of marriage.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
Salty old people
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2016, 11:28 PM   #19

i think it goes away with age. I mean look at us, most of us have been on RS for almost 20 years. I'm sure if you look at some of our posts from back then when we were mostly teenagers, the words and sentences we wrote were pretty stupid too. Once you grow older, you realize talking like that doesn't make you cool, just makes you sound retarded.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #20
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Reminds me of the Canucks GM Jim Benning. Every 3rd or 4th word is always "you know"
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2016, 12:54 AM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
gen Z are barely reaching adulthood?

i think stereotyping generations is silly but meaningful face-to-face interactions does seem to be on a decline across the board (boomers and gen Y as well)

so true regarding the TV to computer to mobile devices as each respective generation's dependence
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 04:33 AM   #22
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

don't know too much about Canada on this aspect, but I believe it is similar to the US. Friends and I have discussed this topic many times, and from the information i have gathered, here's my opinion up until now.
"The kids are getting dumber/less educated" , I blame the lazy parents who don't get involved in the society and see only short term benefits. example, in the States, they have a school grading system (an A school, a B school,...) the lower the rank, the lower the funding, that ranking is based on it's students success/grades. Whats the catch? well schools lower their testing standards in order for kids to get higher grades, it's a vicious circle. Less work for the schools (more money in their pockets) less quality education for kids. The lazy parents accept all this because less effort for them now tests are easier, less work for them to do with the kids after work. Then even if you have good intention to bring a school from a C to a B school status you don't have enough funding to do so, mostly found in poorer neighborhoods with the parents not being able to support the school economically, the school looses attendance because of it's low grade, closes down, no school for the neighborhood, kids don't do to school.

"The technology is making kids dumber". again lazy parents. buying their kids all the phones, tablets, games they want. It's a cheap and easy way to keep their kids busy so they don't have to do it themselves.

now some natural born kids will stand out and be "normal". but for the rest.... well you get this. you know like what, huh, i mean?

then this happens
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #23
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
^I've been saying this for ages. America is the land of opportunity. It is great because of outsiders. Look at all the talent it attracts/gets from Canada. Anyway, it is what it is.

Also, your point about parental involvement is pretty much spot on. Parents are the first and foremost educators. The first 18 months of a child's life is so important. I see so many parents ignoring their children's needs. How can a parent let their baby sit in a crib staring at the walls and ceiling with no stimulation, while they smoke, drink, god knows what else. Babies are like sponges. Just google childhood development.

https://childdevelopmentinfo.com

Also cognitive development of children......

Like everything in life, take some of the advice with a grain of salt. No need to enroll children in every activity under the sun. A parents time with their own child is of upmost importance. Don't "hand them over" to give yourself more alone time, using the excuse that they're learning new skills.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #24
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Older people use "like", "you know" too, depends on the people they spend time with (work, home). That's how human adapt, taking on the language of their social circle. It is not a generational thing. It ties more to society.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #25
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
And here on the rs chat say I talk too much. Lol I hate talking to people who can't string two sentences together. Like, umm, uh, y'know etc etc. Learn to get around it. I simply just say the most inappropriate shit that comes to mind.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote