REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 01-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Any Celica GT FOUR owners on here? (ST205 specifically)

Just bought my first toyota... for whatever reason I picked the GT Four as my introduction haha.

So far it has been lots of fun, it is a great car, impressive engine and drives very well... however I am starting to experience some difficulty sourcing parts for issues I would like to resolve...

Specifically the GT four runs a front suspension set up called the "Super Strut" which is different from your standard macpherson style.

My shocks appear to be on the way out and I am searching for a replacement. I had initially wanted to upgrade to something like a KYB AGX but it seems like finding a replacement strut is near impossible. I guess if I can't find anything I will swap to coilovers but it was not my first choice for what I will be using the car for.

My current plan is to measure the strut tube length and diameter and see if I can source an insert from another vehicle. I did some reading and the super strut may not have a removable gland to make it serviceable, I guess I'll find out.

Another item I am looking to fix/upgrade is the shifter. The factory bushings at the tranmission are shot, along with the shift lever "cup". I would assume that the transmission bushings would be the same as MR2, but I cannot find a shift lever bushings or an available short shifter kit that comes with it... if this part is even replaceable? picture below of brass bushings for transmission end for reference.

Hoping that there are other GT four owners on here that can share their experiences!

Cheers,

Anthony
Advertisement
E30_vert is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
So, you're finally back on RS
Old 01-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,122 Times in 178 Posts
You can get shifter bushings here (assuming that they are the same as the MR2).

I've read that a lot of ST205 owners that have the Super Strut suspension switch back over to the standard mcpherson strut arrangement. You might be able to source parts from a regular (ST202) Celica, but don't quote me on that.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So, you're finally back on RS
It's hard to keep up with all the forums these days. I figured I'd hop on here since there doesn't seem to be any BC or even North America specific forums for these Celicas.... haha

My laurel was easier to source parts for
Old 01-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
I almost bought one after my st185 burned up. Saddest day of my life so far to see an RC burn up right before my eyes.

The very thing that steered me away was the super strut layout which I knew would have been hard to source parts for. Hell, sourcing parts for a 185 was hard enough.

That third gen 3sgte is leaps and bounds better than any second gen out of the box. At the very least, you have a MAP sensor as opposed to a MAF sensor.

How are you liking that ATW intercooler that drones when it turns on? Personally, I hated it after a while.

Be very careful if you plan on rebuilding your turbo. From what I remember, the 3rd gen 3sgte came with a ceramic turbine that's more fragile than the steel counterparts.

Head over to alltrac.net it's a wealth of information there.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
Definitely join Alltrac.net, I've been on there since before I got my 1991 GTFour RC (so probably 8+ years now) and it's a great source of information. I know a few guys like ChrisD on there have dealt with the SS suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality View Post
I've read that a lot of ST205 owners that have the Super Strut suspension switch back over to the standard mcpherson strut arrangement. You might be able to source parts from a regular (ST202) Celica, but don't quote me on that.
I think some have done it with 5th gen front hubs, which you can get off any 5 lug 5th gen (so GT, GTS or GTFour) and get the strut insert tubes as well (letting you use the replaceable inserts).

As for the shifter bushings you can contact Luke at xiiimotorsports out of Ontario, they make a bunch of stuff including bushings for Celicas.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
I almost bought one after my st185 burned up. Saddest day of my life so far to see an RC burn up right before my eyes.

The very thing that steered me away was the super strut layout which I knew would have been hard to source parts for. Hell, sourcing parts for a 185 was hard enough.

That third gen 3sgte is leaps and bounds better than any second gen out of the box. At the very least, you have a MAP sensor as opposed to a MAF sensor.

How are you liking that ATW intercooler that drones when it turns on? Personally, I hated it after a while.

Be very careful if you plan on rebuilding your turbo. From what I remember, the 3rd gen 3sgte came with a ceramic turbine that's more fragile than the steel counterparts.

Head over to alltrac.net it's a wealth of information there.
I don't think I've heard anything from the ATW cooler? I will have to listen carefully next drive.

I plan on keeping the superstrut for now as I think it works very well when it is in good shape. I am not an engineer and I'm sure Toyota knows more than I do about these cars haha, so I will leave it that way.

I have signed up on Alltrac.net and will browse around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Definitely join Alltrac.net, I've been on there since before I got my 1991 GTFour RC (so probably 8+ years now) and it's a great source of information. I know a few guys like ChrisD on there have dealt with the SS suspension.

I think some have done it with 5th gen front hubs, which you can get off any 5 lug 5th gen (so GT, GTS or GTFour) and get the strut insert tubes as well (letting you use the replaceable inserts).

As for the shifter bushings you can contact Luke at xiiimotorsports out of Ontario, they make a bunch of stuff including bushings for Celicas.
I checked out xiii motorsports, but they do not offer shifter bushings for the celicas... they actually specify that they DO NOT work in the 94-99 models...

Oh well... i am going to order them from Speed Source direct, however I have an email into them inquiring about shipping details lol. They want $60 to ship 2 little brass bushings...
Old 01-15-2017, 12:27 AM   #8

Ah darn, they used to do the brass ones which I think were easier do do in more sizes. $60 to ship them is crazy, although if you're pay shipping or going get them from the border anyways you may as well order some more fun parts
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 01-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_vert View Post
I don't think I've heard anything from the ATW cooler? I will have to listen carefully next drive.
There should be a pump that pumps coolant through the intercooler. it should turn on when you apply throttle, a small whirring sound.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #10

I can barely hear mine with the engine off, maybe your pump was on its last legs?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

If you're on Facebook , contact Lou brooks @BRD out of the UK. He makes poly shift bushings for the 205. Got some for my celica and got them for $60 cdn shipped
pintoBC_3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #12
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I can barely hear mine with the engine off, maybe your pump was on its last legs?
I don't think it was, it sounded the same on the black one I tested and when I sat in glenn's car.

It wasn't that loud, might be quieter than I remember, but I just remember hearing it turn in every time I applied throttle. It's been like 5 years now since I last had it.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #13

Has it been that long already? Yours was the one that caught fire while at the ferry terminal or something right?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #14
ZN6

Yeah man, it's been pretty long. I've had my 86 for 4.5 years now and there was some time between the GT-Four and picking it up. It's been a long time.

It caught fire as I was cruising up highway 1 actually. I stopped the car at Horseshoe bay to get help. Looking back I should have just left the car immediately.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #15

Yikes. If it's any consolation, seeing what happened to your car motivated me to get all the problems with my car fixed so it wouldn't suffer the same fate.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
ZN6

yeah, unfortunate. I sold off a lot of my stuff i bought to rebuild the engine. Had the engine rebuild kit too with every gasket.

*Sigh*. too little too late I guess. it was going to be that summer that I rebuild it.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZN6 View Post
There should be a pump that pumps coolant through the intercooler. it should turn on when you apply throttle, a small whirring sound.
Yeah, funny enough the level sensor on my IC was unplugged and they had wires that were just jumping the terminals... i took that jerry rig shit apart and actually made sure that the reservoir was topped up and working properly. Doesnt seem to make any noise though? And its for sure working as I had the cap of and watch the coolant swirl all around inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintoBC_3sgte View Post
If you're on Facebook , contact Lou brooks @BRD out of the UK. He makes poly shift bushings for the 205. Got some for my celica and got them for $60 cdn shipped
Ya! I'm actually talking to him about possibly buying one of his decat downpipes, they look really nice! I'll ask him about shifter bushings as I am also interested in his upgraded diff bushings.

On another note, I replaced the brake pads this week... literally the easiest pad replacement I have ever done! I opted to go with some Hawk HP+ Street performance pads, so far they are really good. Great stopping power and no noise. Haven't noticed any dusting on the rims yet either.

My next task will be to tackle the front end suspension and start replacing items like the "figure 8", tie rod crush sleeves and maybe source some coilovers or get creative with the superstrut system
This post thanked by: