REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #76
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I have to say that they lost me at "pot of paint".
How much paint is a pot? Is it a pint, with a bit of autocorrect? Is it a fender worth, or can you paint a whole car with 2 pots?

I gotta know!!
Advertisement
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #77
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Thats becuase its not just the brakes that need replacing.

Did you miss the part where the whole front sub frame needs to be replaced. Add up to all the parts on the passenger side to replace (suspension, brakes, rims, tire) + labor. Unless you want damaged parts.. You can tell by the pic in the driveway that the tire is so far back that basically all suspension parts need replacing.

Then you want to install lesser value brakes on a 1of100 vehicle?
To Put in prospective, a Jaguar F-type the Carbon Ceramic rotors are 9500 A CORNER a CORNER!! and and then 2100 for the front rotors alone, not including labour..

Sure the Regular DB9 Might not have had CC brakes but neither did an ftype and if its a from factory i doubt you could change it back..

And engine output also decides what brakes will go on the vehicle. Much like the F-type base, S and R and now SVR.

They will need the subframe (special order from england only thru Certified dealers and repair facilities), Knuckle both Control arms and god know what else too!
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #78
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
seen that car very recently at the named shop, it's sitting there in pieces with a cover over it lol
the shop owner is a super nice and reasonable guy, feel bad for him for dealing with such bs
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:12 AM   #79
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Also you don't NEED carbon ceramic, base model DB9 didn't have it anyways.
So instead of buying 2 rotors, you're proposing they buy rotors, calipers, pads and try to change any programming in the braking system that's dependent on the ceramics. The end result being a car with lower resale value because it doesn't have the ceramic brakes?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #80
alf
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Thanked 1,065 Times in 89 Posts
I'm surprised the news agency gave her the time to tell her stupid story, I'm guessing that she shuttles between China and Canada to export her parents cash and live here just long enough to claim residency. now that's a story.
alf is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2017, 08:54 PM   #81
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I have to say that they lost me at "pot of paint".
How much paint is a pot? Is it a pint, with a bit of autocorrect? Is it a fender worth, or can you paint a whole car with 2 pots?

I gotta know!!
all i could google was that to paint the entire car AM does at least nine coats over 50 man hours... i am going to assume for this repair they are going to paint more than just the fender to blend it all together, ie. the hood and door as well?

Aston Martin Colour and Trim

and i think the front fender is carbon fibre?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #82
HELP ME PLS!!!

Sounds like the type o person that has 4 houses, and more cars like this. Then claims low income to reap all the benefits with it. Free MSP, reduced/free rec centre fees, tax avoidance.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #83
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So instead of buying 2 rotors, you're proposing they buy rotors, calipers, pads and try to change any programming in the braking system that's dependent on the ceramics. The end result being a car with lower resale value because it doesn't have the ceramic brakes?
ok but seriously though, how much better is Aston Martin carbon ceramic compare to all the other ones?

What about something cheap from Chevy? Corvette and Camaro have carbon ceramic too.

Is Aston brakes THAT MUCH better than one on Camaro?

I found one on eBay for $1,500
2014-15 Chevy Camaro Z28 Front Carbon Ceramic Rotors GM OEM 22958646 177-1164 | eBay
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-15-2017, 01:14 AM   #84
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:
ok but seriously though, how much better is Aston Martin carbon ceramic compare to all the other ones?

What about something cheap from Chevy? Corvette and Camaro have carbon ceramic too.

I found one on eBay for $1,500
2014-15 Chevy Camaro Z28 Front Carbon Ceramic Rotors GM OEM 22958646 177-1164 | eBay
It doesn't freakin matter how much better or worse or cheaper it is then other CC rotors on other brands, let alone a domestic brand.

What matters is that they restore the car to its ORIGINAL condition, as it left the FACTORY floor. You don't cheap out and downgrade a car, especially a high performance car. That's called screwing a customer, which to some, is maybe a little unethical.

I don't know about you, but if my car was being repaired at a body shop, you bet I'd want it repaired to factory spec.

But then again, we all would've bought the correct insurance.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2017, 05:43 AM   #85
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:

come on Timpo you're better than that! So what about they grab the fender, headlight, subframe, paint, etc from a Hyundai Excel ?
specially for a customer like this, would you risk not putting 2 new rotors and whatever else that may seem redundant to some, only to give that customer the opportunity to crash again and come back at you lawyered up for not replacing those parts?
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
It doesn't freakin matter how much better or worse or cheaper it is then other CC rotors on other brands, let alone a domestic brand.

What matters is that they restore the car to its ORIGINAL condition, as it left the FACTORY floor. You don't cheap out and downgrade a car, especially a high performance car. That's called screwing a customer, which to some, is maybe a little unethical.

I don't know about you, but if my car was being repaired at a body shop, you bet I'd want it repaired to factory spec.

But then again, we all would've bought the correct insurance.
Did you even read the whole story? The owner didn't buy collision coverage.

If ICBC was trying to screw over customer, sure I agree with you.
But in this case, she decided not to purchase extra insurance and now complaining about repair cost.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #87
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:

But in this case, she decided not to purchase extra insurance and now complaining about repair cost.
I don't think BA will do a cheap 'hack job' if thats is what your trying to get at. There a ICBC valet shop that has to warranty the work for lifetime. They will not skimp on quality just because this lady is being cheap, there's no need to.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #88

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Quote:

k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #89

No where did they state that as per Aston Martin rotors are required to be replaced as a set. They left it ambiguous and open for interpretation stating there opinion and Not fact.

If I were the customer I would want technical literature stating they need to replaced as a set before spending 30k on rotors. Keep in mind the other side is essentially brand new with under 1000km. Ceramic rotors should last the life of the car, that's why you pay the premium for them.

If BA was smart they would have got the customer to prepay the rotors and subframe and other special order parts before starting work. I'm curious to know
How much there into the job for parts and labour and how much the customer has actually paid. I hope BA has solid documentation of customer approval before going to court or else they will loose big time in court, regardless this job is a huge looser once you factor in the legal fees.

It's shitty situation to be in for both parties involved.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantrip View Post
I don't think BA will do a cheap 'hack job' if thats is what your trying to get at. There a ICBC valet shop that has to warranty the work for lifetime. They will not skimp on quality just because this lady is being cheap, there's no need to.
Sorry for my ignorance, what does BA mean?

Anyways, yeah if original parts were too expensive, I was suggesting she has an option to go for aftermarket.

Chevy Camaro Carbon Ceramic Brakes

Custom Tubular Subframe

If it needs new suspension, there are so many coilover kit for DB9 as well.

and body can be custom made as I suggested already
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #91
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
BA = Burrard Autostrasse, the name of the shop that is fixing the car.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #92
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
No where did they state that as per Aston Martin rotors are required to be replaced as a set. They left it ambiguous and open for interpretation stating there opinion and Not fact.

If I were the customer I would want technical literature stating they need to replaced as a set before spending 30k on rotors. Keep in mind the other side is essentially brand new with under 1000km. Ceramic rotors should last the life of the car, that's why you pay the premium for them.

If BA was smart they would have got the customer to prepay the rotors and subframe and other special order parts before starting work. I'm curious to know
How much there into the job for parts and labour and how much the customer has actually paid. I hope BA has solid documentation of customer approval before going to court or else they will loose big time in court, regardless this job is a huge looser once you factor in the legal fees.

It's shitty situation to be in for both parties involved.
Not certain about AM, but Ferrari requires ceramic rotors to be replaced in pairs. I'm sure AM is probably the same. In theory, even steel rotors should be replaced in pairs.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #93

if it's my car and I'm paying for the repairs I only want 1 rotor you can't make me buy 2 unless there only sold in pairs which I doubt they are.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #94
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
if it's my car and I'm paying for the repairs I only want 1 rotor you can't make me buy 2 unless there only sold in pairs which I doubt they are.
Then BA won't do it for you. Go find someone else. Do you really want to be the body shop that put mismatched rotors on a customer car so that when they crash it again they can blame you?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #95
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Pretty sure only logical solution is to swap engine into FRS

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #96
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

More like swap her ass out of the Country w/ no chance of return.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #97
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

She should replace the CC rotors with the normal steel rotors. No programming necessary. Just a swap of the disks and pads.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #98
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
update on this idiot, so much lol

Richmond owner of Bond-style car files lawsuit over $135,000 repair bill

Quote:
As a result of the alleged actions of the defendants, Liu is claiming a long list of personal injuries, including: depression and anxiety; panic disorders; flashbacks; suicidal periods; weight loss; sleeping disorders; low self-esteem; emotional expression issues; humiliation; trust issues and impaired ability to form intimate relationships.
those last two probably have something to do with the fact shes proven herself to be a complete moron
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #99
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Doesn't the legal bill amount to close to what the repair bill is? Lolwot
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #100
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Thanks for the update

Well the lawyers are getting rich. MCL and Autostrasse have counter sued her.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: