REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 01-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Anyone use blue light blocking glasses with TV/monitor/phone/tablet?

I'm reading a lot about the potential sleep and eye strain benefits of blue light blocking when using artificial displays. I haven't confirmed myself if it works but I figure it wouldn't hurt to try.

I'm looking at transparent, non- coloured lens glasses that block blue light on Amazon. Several mention they had them professionally tested with spectrometers and they didn't actually block blue light.

Does anyone know of any specific brands with transparent lenses that have been confirmed to block blue light? If I can't find any I might only get the yellow/orange tinted versions.
Advertisement
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
computer - f.lux
phone - twilight app.
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
I have the Nikon blue light blocking coating on my prescription glasses, and they do work. I have much less eyestrain now than I have had in the past when working with screens of all types. I previously had the Essilor blue blocking coating on my previous glasses as well.
Prior to that, I was doubtful that it worked but, I'm a believer in them now. I don't have any experience with the non prescription coatings.
One thing I hated with the essilor coating was that in flash photos, there was a quite obvious yellow tint that showed. I haven't had the same issue with the Nikons.
Mikoyan is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I have a pair of glasses specially made for me just for the computer, it works well and I feel less strain.

I believe mine is from Nikon..... gotta ask the wife lol
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #5

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
I use them. Specifically these from Amazon since March last year:

https://www.amazon.ca/Uvex-S1933X-Ey.../dp/B000USRG90

Every night before bed while watching YouTube vids on my phone lol. I noticed it helps me fall asleep 'easier'

vs

If I do the same without the glasses, i find it more difficult to sleep / my sleep gets disrupted and i wake up in the middle of the night
Old 01-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

Every night before bed while watching YouTube vids on my phone lol. I noticed it helps me fall asleep 'easier'

vs

If I do the same without the glasses, i find it more difficult to sleep / my sleep gets disrupted and i wake up in the middle of the night
Can you play Squash in these as well?
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
computer - f.lux
phone - twilight app.
Yes good advice, I already have f.lux on my phone and the Huawei native night mode. Need the glasses for TV and LED lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post

Yes I'm planning to buy some clip on amber lenses to use with my glasses at home. When I'm out I wear contacts and am hoping to find transparent lens glasses that block blue light so I'm not in public wearing amber tinted glasses.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
i got new glasses from lensecrafter and got the blue iq lenses.

i spend a fair amount of time in front a screen on a daily basis.

the lense does help. everything is slightly yellow but nothing dramatic. no one will know you are wearing yellow tinted lenses unless you tell them and they really focus in on you.

overall happy with my choice.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #9

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
Can you play Squash in these as well?
i only use them before bed
Old 01-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
i got new glasses from lensecrafter and got the blue iq lenses.

i spend a fair amount of time in front a screen on a daily basis.

the lense does help. everything is slightly yellow but nothing dramatic. no one will know you are wearing yellow tinted lenses unless you tell them and they really focus in on you.

overall happy with my choice.
Mind sharing a little more information about the cost?
H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

I work in the eye care field and sell the blue light coatings to customers. From experience the overall lens has a blue almost purple hue to it when you move the lens from side to side. I can see it but some customers notice it as well I mean very few do which bothers them but not many. Also as someone stated above it does show a slight yellow tinge in the lens which is unnoticeable to many. The lens itself does get rid of UV and blue light coming from screens, tablets and phones and over all is better for the eye. A lot of companies have blue light filter lenses ie Nikon, Essilor, lens crafters ect...just depends on what place will charge you the most...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
i feel like such an idiot for not knowing what blue light is and how it affects you lol
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #13
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Specter View Post
Mind sharing a little more information about the cost?
If you are in the market right now, PM me and I'll give you the name of the Lensecrafter store manager in Guilfordmall I deal with.

I got the blueiq lenses for the same price as their regular feather weight lenses (they have 4 options if I recall - cheap , kinda cheap, not so cheap, expensive) - feather weights i looked at were the "kinda cheap" kind.

I also got a deal ($100 off whatever price the sale guys said) on the frame + lenses so I can't exactly tell you the price, even if I wanted to.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #14
Need my Daily Fix of RS

..lol

iOS 9.3: How to switch on Night Shift, the iPhone setting that promises to help you go to sleep | The Independent

Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #15
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
All you need: