REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-16-2017, 05:10 AM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Things to do in Toronto

I'm planning to go to Toronto around the spring time when the temperature warms up. I will be there for twelve days. What's the best thing to do there as well as doesn't get boring fast?. I looked into a Go pass is this worth it? Please let me know your input. Thanks Anyone have air bnb before too? ( I never used air bnb)
Advertisement
JShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Jump on the VIA and go to Montreal for a few days.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'd suggest you rent a car instead. At least you can drive to Niagara Falls and *maybe* drive to Montreal for a few days
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

AirBnB is fine, just check the reviews and the listing to see if they have everything you need.
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

My time to shine! I lived in Toronto between 2010 and 2013 and go back often. I agree what other users have said, go to Montreal for 3 to 4 days. Ideally you need 5 to 7 days to really explore and get a feel for Toronto. 12 days may be a bit much, unless you want to take it slow.

AirBnB is fine. Stay somewhere south of Bloor, east of Ossington and West of Parliament. Being along a streetcar or subway line also makes getting around easier if you don't feel like walking or biking all the time.

Some highlights that I would recommend aside from the touristy things like the CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame, Royal Ontario Museum, etc.:
- Toronto Islands - Take the Centre Island Ferry, hang around the Islands for the afternoon, rent a bike, and then take the Wards Island Ferry back. The west side of the islands are busier and have more people, if you want it quieter, go east towards Wards. Check out all the little neighborhoods they have on the islands. Seneca Avenue on Algonquin Island offers amazing views back towards the city.

- St. Lawrence Market - Is it as good as Granville Island Market? Depends who you talk to. Either way, fun way to spend an hour or two. There is a place in the basement that serves awesome perogies. The area around St Lawrence Market is a good place to stroll around. Check out the flatiron building in front of Berczy Park and the Cathedral of St. James.

- Cabbagetown - The entire area between Gerrard and Wellsley, east of Parliament has the oldest housing stock in Toronto, dating back to the mid 1800's. Many of these places have now been restored and are now worth millions. I believe it is one of the largest supplies of Victorian era housing in North America. There are lots of little lanes to explore. One of my favorite intersections is at Bowman St. and Sackville Place.

- Kensington Market - Not much else to say except I could probably spend an entire day eating here. The market contains some of the best affordable and authentic food in Toronto IMO. My favorites are Seven Lives Tacos, Rasta Pasta, Hibiscus, and Jumbo Empanadas. If it is a warm and sunny day, Cafe Pamenar has an awesome backyard patio.

- Food Containers at Dundas & Bathurst - 5 minute walk from Kensington Market. NomNom Poutine and Crepes seriously makes my favorite poutine ever. Out of a shipping container. The prosciutto and brie crepe is also very good.

- Ossington Avenue - Hipster hangout, but a lot of cool shops. Bellwoods Brewery is a must-stop on Ossington. Try and snag a seat outside on the patio after the sun sets. You used to be able to drink in nearby Trinity Bellwoods Park, as long as you keep it discreet.

- Mirvish Village - Markham Street at Bloor. Not sure how long this will be around for, you might make it before they start demolishing for new development. A Toronto landmark.

- The Stockyards and other burger joints - St Clair Avenue and Christie. It's out of the way, but go there and have their burger. I would argue it is the best burger I have ever had. I once took a taxi to The Stockyards during a 5 hour layover in Toronto. They grind their meat in-house daily and cook to medium. Toronto seriously knows how to do burgers well. Try Burger Priest and Holy Chuck and compare all 3 places.

- Festivals! - Toronto has tons of festivals all year round. Way better than Vancouver. Taste of Danforth, Jazz Festival, Carribana, etc. Find out when you are going and if there are any good festivals going on.

- Distillery District - Sort of touristy but still fun. Especially on a warm and sunny day. Lots of shops and places to eat and drink.

- Blue Jays! - Even with the Jays playing better, you can still pick up mid-week seats for $20 a ticket and have a good time. Weekend games that have the Yankees or Red Sox coming to town will have a premium and you likely need to buy ahead of time.

- Bars - Toronto has much better, cheaper, and less pretentious bars than Vancouver. My favorite areas to grab a drink are King Street W, Bloor Street (between Spadina & Clinton), and St Lawrence Market. There are of course great bars all over the city waiting to be explored.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #6

And a must to get the Toronto experience ... drive from one end of the 401 (airport) to the other end, Pickering. Go in and out of the Express and Collector Lanes, try to do the opposite of what the signs tell you. Then do the Don Valley Parkway, DVP. Go northbound around 5:00 pm.

Last edited by whitev70r; 01-17-2017 at 10:42 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
I'd suggest you rent a car instead. At least you can drive to Niagara Falls and *maybe* drive to Montreal for a few days
I agree. Niagara should definitely be included as a day trip.

I also agree that 12 days in Toronto seems a bit much. However, I would consider going to either Ottawa or Montreal as part of the trip -- I like both cities a lot for some completely different reasons. You don't really have enough time to do both -- it can be done, but it wouldn't be a proper worthwhile visit. On the way up though, you might want to consider stopping by Kingston for a few hours' stop. There is quite a bit of historic stuff to see in Kingston if you are into it, and the Thousand Island area can be a pleasant (if somewhat expensive) experience if you or your SO are into that kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
And a must to get the Toronto experience ... drive from one end of the 401 (airport) to the other end ... Pickering. Go in and out of the Express and Collector Lanes. Then do the Don Valley Parkway, DVP, go northbound around 5:00 pm.
Any of the 400-series Hwy around the TO is a horrible experience with the 401 around GTA being the absolute worst, but trying to go anywhere on regular street traffic would be take even longer, though the drive is probably less aggravating. If at all possible, avoid 400-series traffic during any of the rush hours.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Any of the 400-series Hwy around the TO is a horrible experience with the 401 around GTA being the absolute worst, but trying to go anywhere on regular street traffic would be take even longer, though the drive is probably less aggravating. If at all possible, avoid 400-series traffic during any of the rush hours.
Don't believe this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about! You must try it for yourself ... it is SO fun!
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Don't believe this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about! You must try it for yourself ... it is SO fun!
Totally... has he taken the 407? thats an interesting experience altogether.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
I have a wedding to go to in July, wedding lands on a Saturday and most likely heavy drinking will be involved so I think I'd like to fly home earliest Monday.

Haven't been to TO in probably 10 years, there will be 4 of us from BC heading back, doing niagra and other touristy BS is a week too long? I'd prefer not to spend a week but if we can fill our days would consider it
Old 01-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Cabana pool bar
dapperfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #12
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
If you enjoy socializing, wear lots of Canucks stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #13

Raptors game, really enjoyed the Air Canada Center tour is pretty cool. Hockey Hall of Fame a bit overrated. Theatre life in Toronto is pretty good. Looks like Book of Mormon is playing.