REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #26
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Sheesh, $1400 rent?? so after tax money that's 16800 a year on rent; pretax money it's about 24K a year?? I'm guessing her effective take home pay is about 1500 after all is deducted? that is a tight budget. I'm guessing of that 1500, at least 100 bucks goes to phone and internet, 200 bucks on food, hundred bucks on transit.

First, if living at home is an option, I'd definitely start there. Or like someone suggested, get a roommate and cut rental costs in half.
Advertisement
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapperfied View Post
Right now her rent is $1400 + living expensive and what not = $2400-/+. Single.

Net income is about $3200.
I can help her out.

All jokes aside. She appears to be in an emergency already if you ask me. So why not use her emergency fund to get out of debt?

All it takes is discipline. I think if she manages, she can lower her monthly living expense (food, bills, going out, etc.) And if she can, move out to a cheaper place. Living by herself for 1400 is a little much.

With that said, I would pay the 5k lump sum and 2k and then put whatever she can towards the provincial loan. Then slowly pay off the rest.

1. Set priorities
2. Make staying on priorities, priority
3. If under any circumstances, where life and death is not a factor, stay on those priorities.

In my opinion, people always wanna keep some money for emergency but if you think about it, loans that rack up interests, especially high balance loans like hers, IS an emergency. Nothing will drain a person's life more than compounding interests. The faster she gets those debt out of her life, the faster she can be worry free.

Does she have a credit line or a high credit limit credit card with low balance transfer interest rate for a period of months? Because those can act as emergency funds when she absolutely needs it.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #28
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
The other thing is pride. Yes, great that you wanna do things on your own, but if you have interest building debt when your parents are offering to help, take it. Again, if they aren't in desperate needs themselves, the money isn't going with them when they die. If parents are an option, leverage that. Now is better than later when debt can balloon from compounding. It's like, if you have an illness take care of it ASAP, before it grows out of control. Same issues as here. $16k in savings when you have a debt growing with interest would be time to use that emergency fund. If she's simply saving, and not using that money for any appreciable investment gain, it's dead money, eroded by inflation. Again, $1400 on a single salary of $50k is not a smart move financially. It's actually outrageous since she's especially when she's paying the mortgage payments for someone else.

It's about as bad as it gets when half of your earnings are already eaten away by cost of housing.

Get a roommate ASAP. That rent has to come down, srs.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #29
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Let's do the math a bit different....Her take home is $3,200 a month less her rent of $1,400 which leaves $1,800

What is she spending $1,800 on each month?

cancel cable, no new phone, no Starbucks or bubble tea, brown bag lunch, don't eat out every night

cut the spending!
cut up the credit cards
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #30
I STILL don't get it

The general rule of thumb for the percentage of gross income that should be allocated to rent is 25%. Based on her income, that's roughly $1,000/month. I believe that if she can find someone to takeover he lease, the penalty for early termination of the lease could be forgiven. If that's not the case, once her lease is up, I'd suggest that she look for rentals that fall within that figure. This will free up $400/month that can be put towards her debt.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote