REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Challenger Hellcat Demon

Looks like Dodge?s Demon will have AWD, 912 lb.-ft. of torque | Driving

Quote:
Looks like Dodge’s Demon will have AWD, 912 lb.-ft. of torque

Cryptic photo hints at massive torque driving massive drag tires. Just take my money now

Clayton Seams by CLAYTON SEAMS | 8 HOURS AGO
Dodge released a press photo today of its upcoming and secretive Challenger Hellcat Demon, wearing fender flares and super-wide 315-millimetre tires – but that’s not the most interesting part. The big news is on the license plate. The photoshopped plate reads #2576@35. And that could mean it makes 2,756 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,500 rpm at each of its four wheels. Does that sound ludicrous? Let me explain.

True mechanical torque – what comes out to the wheels – is calculated by engine torque multiplied by gear ratio, multiplied again by final drive ratio and divided by the amount of drive wheels. Now here’s the interesting bit: The “normal” Hellcat, which has 650 lb.-ft. of torque from its 6.2-litre supercharged V8, puts out 4,010 lb.-ft. to each rear wheel. It seems very unlikely that this new Demon will make less power than a Hellcat, so if we assume this thing has the same gear and axle ratios as a Hellcat, then with 2,756 lb.-ft. going to all four wheels, this could have 912 lb.-ft. of torque at the crank. Could it be possible? Given the lengths Dodge seems to be willing to go with these Hellcat versions, we’re sure it’ll be newsworthy and record breaking. What a time to be alive.

The car is now 89-mm wider thanks to large fender flares on all four wheels. The choice for wide 315-mm front tires nets Dodge the record for widest front tires on a production car – and the choice of a drag radial up front also hints at it being an AWD car. Drag radials like to wander on the highway and you don’t need them on the front axle unless you have the front wheels driven.

If all this is true, then the Demon’s rear end in this photo is all the competition is going to see at the local dragstrip.

http://www.dodge.com/en/ifyouknowyouknow/
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 01-26-2017 at 03:55 PM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
315 tires on all 4 corners is pretty massive, this should be cool

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Witness protection

just slightly bigger than the z/28 which had 305's all around...

demon:
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 01-26-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Wonder if they used the drive train from the STR8 Jeep? Sounds like they recreated Ken Blocks Hoonicorn

Berz out.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
how could it do burnouts with awd?

also what would be the point of putting drag radials on it if its awd?
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post

It's not a mustang

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
You see little timmy,
When a car's engine provides the wheels with more torque and power than available traction, the tires spin and generate heat through friction, enough heat that the rubber compound starts to combust and turn into smoke.

It looks something like this:

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
^ that was chained to the ground. regardless of the crazy torque, i don't think it'd be an easy feat to do a burnout on an awd with 315's, at least not for a very long time. but I guess if those 315's are drag radials..
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #9
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,457 Times in 5,116 Posts
It's pretty simple really, no tire in the world is going to be able to stick with almost 1,000lb/ft of torque tearing them apart... Burnouts will not be an issue.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:32 AM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
kinda surprised the hellcat didn't have a roll cage,neither does this..Danger!
Old 01-27-2017, 05:50 AM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,206 Times in 385 Posts
Should have the same torque to weight ratio as a dually cummins.
sdubfid is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #12
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:

I'm guessing they can adjust the awd system to be 100% rear bias to do a burnout on the rear tires.
As for why it needs drag radials on all 4 corners.
Because race car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:37 AM   #13
Ricer Mod

They will undoubtedly have a control module to turn the AWD off for rear burnout box action at the strip. You have to really. Having drag radials on all 4 will again be drag race track specific. Driving around with them on all the time will be hard on the tires and it will wobble at highway speeds. If you've ever driven around with slicks on the highway (back in the glory days of street racing going from spot to spot) it's not fun lol.

Berz out.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
And who said gas powered muscle cars are dead? Can't wait to see reviews on this beast.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
I absolutely fucking hate Chrysler and their products but their Hellcat stuff is off the chain. Hope the build quality doesn't see these things falling apart in 5 years.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2017, 05:15 AM   #16
Witness protection

so if the rumors are true the demon is awd, this short youtube review on how the awd system works in the new gt might tell us what to expect:

Old 01-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
I'm all for these cars, and their rediculous power numbers...

BUT, perhaps Dodge could focus on the fit and finish of the vehicles in question first? I swear to god, every single one of these cars I see, the panel gaps etc are beyond bad, especially the trunk lid/tail lights. At night it's even more obvious, due to the tail light design. Anyone paying that kind of money for a car shouldn't be getting such shit IMO
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowered_Klass View Post

BUT, perhaps Dodge could focus on the fit and finish of the vehicles in question first? I swear to god, every single one of these cars I see, the panel gaps etc are beyond bad, especially the trunk lid/tail lights. At night it's even more obvious, due to the tail light design. Anyone paying that kind of money for a car shouldn't be getting such shit IMO
It's a muscle car. The target audience does not care about fit and finish. It's all about the power. Being a muscle car it has to be able to do a burnout or it can't be called a muscle car.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
cringed at the marketing, are they targeting teenagers?

is it sad that I want FCA to build an electric Hellcat? Something that will wreck Tesla's ludicrous mode.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #20
Witness protection

I am not less certain that this demon is awd.

I am reading elsewhere that the awd system in the gt adds 200lbs to the car, and the demon supposedly is 200lbs less than the hellcat... Dosen't add up.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #21

^ it doesnt really make any sense that theres a video of it doing a burnout if its awd, unless it has a 2wd mode specifically for burnouts.

if it is awd and has drag radials then dodge is going to warrantying a lot of busted driveline parts.

i dont see how they could shave 200lbs and also add awd.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #22
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowered_Klass View Post

We have this motto at work, fit or finished, you only get one.
Zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 AM   #23
Witness protection

2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon drops seats, carpets to cut weight - Motor Trend

Quote:
Demon shaping up to be an incredibly powerful street and track car

In the lead-up to the April 11 unveiling of the 2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has been dribbling out tantalizing videos and tidbits of information—like the fact it will weigh 215 pounds less than the current Challenger SRT Hellcat.

If you thought the Hellcat was insane, brace yourself. We have learned a bit about the weight loss program and it takes this car to new levels of anticipation.

For starters, all but the driver’s seat will be optional. Yes, you heard that right. Removing the front passenger and rear seats and the seatbelts and other components associated with having a witness to your driving prowess saves 113 pounds. We assume the seats can be ordered as an option.

With the seats gone, it should be no surprise that the stereo only has two speakers (located in the front doors), carpeting is out, as well as some trunk trim, the spare tire cover, and two pounds worth of parking sensors.

Also out: 18 pounds worth of NVH components which means the Hellcat will sound like a pussycat compared with the Demon.

Manual tilt and telescoping steering wheel saves four pounds and the car will have lighter 18×11-inch aluminum wheels with open lug nuts; a smaller and hollow sway bar; and lighter four-piston brakes.

It adds up to dropping a full 232 pounds but since the car is described as weighing 215 pounds less, it appears 17 pounds were added in other areas that we are sure to learn about over the next few months.

Dodge is releasing teaser videos every Thursday until the car is shown at an event in advance of the New York auto show. We wouldn’t be surprised to see FCA tallying millions of views in the lead-up to showing us its new halo car.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #24
Ricer Mod

Also when going AWD all 4 tires must be the same size. This is another indication that having the big rubber all around would support this.

Berz out.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #25

tfw when your car has one seat and no carpeting but still weighs over 4000 lbs.
This post thanked by: