REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
The crazy thing is that he seemed to be just a normal guy. What makes someone snap like this?
Not sure about what caused him to snap. But if he was getting regular pussy, he wouldn't be doing this. All these men who have extremists views who would act out violently against others - they would not be having this pent up aggression.

It may sound like a joke. Here is an extreme example, all the supposed male terrorist recruits wouldn't even bother joining such movements if they had some $$ and were getting laid. Life is too good to spread negativity and violence towards others.
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #27
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Marc was born and raised in Quebec by his french Canadian mother.
as per the link.

Quote:
Lépine was born Gamil Rodrigue Liass Gharbi in Montreal, the son of a Canadian nurse and an Algerian businessman. His father was abusive and contemptuous of women. After his parents separated when he was seven, his mother returned to nursing to support her children. Lépine and his younger sister lived with other families, seeing their mother on weekends. Lépine was considered bright but withdrawn and having difficulties with peer and family relationships. He changed his name to Marc Lépine at the age of 14 giving as the reason his hatred of his father.

CN's:
-Had an Algerian father who hated women
-Single mother worked long hours unable to raise her kids
-He was socially awkward
-He was a piece of shit

Also,

Quote:
He had long complained about women working in non-traditional jobs

I wonder where this line of thinking came from?

Maybe from his father?

Quote:
Divorce papers obtained by newspapers after the massacre found that his father had been violent, hitting his children and his wife; they accused Rachid Liass Gharbi of believing that women were not equal to men, that they were meant to serve. Despite his eventual rejection of his father, Lépine absorbed these ideas, said his mother after the murders.
https://www.theguardian.com/g2/story/0,,1872900,00.html

One thing I didn't know was that Lepine had a sister.

Quote:
Nadia Gharbi, Marc's sister, died of a deliberate drug overdose seven years later
'Bad parent? No... an imperfect one' - Winnipeg Free Press

fuken 'ell.....
The deeper I look into this the darker it gets.
any thoughts on this manic!?
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #28
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
so if the shooter is white and quebecois we should start banning all immigrants from quebec, got it.
Wrong.

I didn't say that. I was an immigrant my self. Your self loathing does no good either though..no one says ban all immigrants ..what I suggest is make a list of countries that harbor terrorists and or tolerate them and prevent those people from coming in, when you decide to reopen for them again...if you do, make sure they aren't a threat or haven't been fitting our forces back in the ME.

I know that's too much to ask because to most people their virtue signaling is more important than the safety of their neighbors...and I say neighbors because none of those that advocate for open borders want to house refugees, they just say let them in without a care about where those refugees might go.

Your own security and safety comes first...and since most terrorists today happen to be Muslim we should pay attention to them more.

So the shooter is half Arab and half white but we'll just refer to him as white cuz evil white man is evil.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,401 Times in 3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The7even View Post
Wrong.

I didn't say that. I was an immigrant my self. Your self loathing does no good either though..no one says ban all immigrants ..what I suggest is make a list of countries that harbor terrorists and or tolerate them and prevent those people from coming in, when you decide to reopen for them again...if you do, make sure they aren't a threat or haven't been fitting our forces back in the ME.

I know that's too much to ask because to most people their virtue signaling is more important than the safety of their neighbors...and I say neighbors because none of those that advocate for open borders want to house refugees, they just say let them in without a care about where those refugees might go.

Your own security and safety comes first...and since most terrorists today happen to be Muslim we should pay attention to them more.

So the shooter is half Arab and half white but we'll just refer to him as white cuz evil white man is evil.
What shooter is half Arab? Also how many Canadians have been killed by terrorist Muslims?
Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 PM   #30
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
I'd just like to be sure that you know there was Marc LePine that some have mentioned in this thread, was half Algerian and half Quebecois, is the shooter from 1989.

Alexandre Bissonette, the guy who just did the shooting, as far as I know is not half arab. Maybe your misunderstanding comes from the title you quoted,
"Suspect in Quebec Mosque Attack Quickly Depicted as a Moroccan Muslim. He’s a White Nationalist." means to say they thought it was the Moroccan guy but instead it's a white nationalist but yes it sounds like they're saying he's a Moroccan and a white nationalist.

Just making sure you're not thinking Lepine and Bissonette are the same person
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2017, 05:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
I'd just like to be sure that you know there was Marc LePine that some have mentioned in this thread, was half Algerian and half Quebecois, is the shooter from 1989.

Alexandre Bissonette, the guy who just did the shooting, as far as I know is not half arab. Maybe your misunderstanding comes from the title you quoted,
"Suspect in Quebec Mosque Attack Quickly Depicted as a Moroccan Muslim. He’s a White Nationalist." means to say they thought it was the Moroccan guy but instead it's a white nationalist but yes it sounds like they're saying he's a Moroccan and a white nationalist.

Just making sure you're not thinking Lepine and Bissonette are the same person
Yes I was, therefore I'm wrong and Manic! is right.

However, my opinion on the immigration still stands.. it just isn't applicable at all in this case and I shouldn't have said anything about it and was wrong.

Thank's for clearing it up for me minoru.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What shooter is half Arab? Also how many Canadians have been killed by terrorist Muslims?
I assume none to not many? I didn't bother with researching that as I assume it's incredibly low. But if it's even 1 that alone gives reason to create policies that will properly vet immigrants and make sure none are coming in under the radar and all are accounted for..

My opinion is that having crappy regulations and lax policies are what caused 9-11. Since we secure our skies now and do a much better job and the terrorists have switched from planes to infiltrating refugee numbers we ought to make borders that properly screen for potential assholes. Focusing on Muslim countries isn't bigoted, it's the right thing to do and makes the most sense.

-Hypa

-6chr0nic4
Old 01-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Wrong.

self loathing? i love myself and i think i'm awesome, i don't see the issue here

now lets take a look at the statistics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror...ist_Extremists

if you look at all the people in this list, almost all of them are CANADIAN born lmao.

Quote:
Before Driver caught the attention of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, Canada's spy agency, in October 2014, he went through a difficult childhood and found Islam online in his teens.

Driver was born to a Christian family in Regina. He lived there a few years while his father farmed. Throughout his life, he also lived in New Brunswick, Ontario and Alberta before moving to Manitoba in 2012.
Quote:
Martin Couture-Rouleau (died October 20, 2014, age 25) was a francophone Canadian living with his parents in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu at the time of the attack. He was separated from his partner and their young child. Couture-Rouleau had converted to Islam in the previous year, and was praying at a mosque "regularly."[10] He had owned a small power-washing business that failed.[11]
Quote:
What we know about Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, the alleged gunman responsible for the Ottawa shooting death of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo Wednesday at the National War Memorial:
– He was born in 1982, and appears to have lived at various points in the Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver areas. The CBC reports the 32-year-old spent his childhood in Laval, north of Montreal, where shocked neighbours remember him as as a sweet boy. One former neighbour told CTV she remembered Zehaf-Bibeau as a typical rowdy teen who “seemed to have a very good upbringing,” with caring parents.
i don't actually disagree with what you're saying for the most part
but in Canada, restricting immigration wouldn't have prevented any of these incidents. these guys were canadian born and radicalized here.

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 01-31-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:06 AM   #34
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
It's not about color, and it's not about race. The Quebecois mindset goes far beyond what we're talking about. I spotted a comment on the CBC website that outlines it perfectly.

Quote:
If you do not understand the Quebec French Nationalist movement has killed people before and is Canada's xenophobic powderkeg, I cannot help you, it has nothing to do with trump, it is based on language and culture rather than skin color like in the usa, here in QC people are oppressed and abused for being the wrong culture or language, and there are bigoted laws stopping non french people from accessing work, govt jobs, and services, and when people cry about bigotry the response is always 'we have a right to attack and oppress others because we must 'defend' or '''protect'' our french culture (classic nationalism and scapegoating, common enemy, etc), it is under attack by outsiders, we must remove them and close our borders to the anglophones and ethnic people' so it is hard to understand if you base everything on skin in the usa, but this is part of the separtist cause where they want to close the borders and remove everyone who is not 'pur laine' or pure french. It is literally the only place in north america you can be an oppressed minority as a white english speaking person, because it has NOTHING to do with american issues, it is about language and culture, so what language they spoke and their cultural habits were likely hated on far more than skin tone, which has comparatively little sway here- that many 'pure laine' french nationals are white adds a layer of racism right on top that can be tapped by american issues, but do not delude yourselves that the major cultural motives match the usa, it is completely different in ways americans and their race wars cannot understand.
This is so very true.
Over the years I have shared many stories about my time in Montreal. It was a wonderful city, but it also harboured a dark side that one will see only if their lives are immersed in french culture. In my first few weeks in Montreal, there were numerous times where I was chastised for not speaking french. Not quite spit on, but not too far off either. I sold our car because we didn't need it there, and wasn't able to transfer it without the use of a translator. This is because the provincial gov't refused to offer services in English. It's written into their laws that they don't have to.

Nearing the end of my stay there, I was given a provincially mandated french test when one of our employees contacted the province and told them an anglo was running the company. I found out on a random weekday morning. Just about to leave for a meeting (in french as I had been studying) I was met with two police cars and a provincial gov't official. They forced me to cancel my appointment so I could take the test then and there. Now, I passed the test without a problem, but the fact that it was administered by a gov't official, and two police officers soured me. That was just crazy, and I left Quebec about a month later. The funny thing is, my final two weeks in Montreal, I had an American $20 in my wallet. Anytime I opened my wallet to pay they thought I was American and accepted me as an anglo! It's fuking bananas....

On a side note, Quebec has had a tough history with violence.

- FLQ crisis (1970)
- Quebec Assembly shooting (1984)
- Polytechnique massacre (1989)
- Oka Crisis (1990)
- Dawson College shooting (2006)
- Assassination attempt on their own premier (2012)
- Terror attack on two CF personnel using vehicle (2015)
- 2017 Quebec mosque shooting
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Yes I was, therefore I'm wrong and Manic! is right.

However, my opinion on the immigration still stands.. it just isn't applicable at all in this case and I shouldn't have said anything about it and was wrong.

Thank's for clearing it up for me minoru.

Quote:
I assume none to not many? I didn't bother with researching that as I assume it's incredibly low. But if it's even 1 that alone gives reason to create policies that will properly vet immigrants and make sure none are coming in under the radar and all are accounted for..

My opinion is that having crappy regulations and lax policies are what caused 9-11. Since we secure our skies now and do a much better job and the terrorists have switched from planes to infiltrating refugee numbers we ought to make borders that properly screen for potential assholes. Focusing on Muslim countries isn't bigoted, it's the right thing to do and makes the most sense.
Fact in the last 50 years 4 times as many people in Canada have been killed or injured by trump supporters than Islamic terrorists.

So instead of worrying about Muslims We should be worrying about Trump supporters.

I suggest we start a trump watch list. Any Canadian who is a Trump supporter in Canada should be put on the list and should be banned from going to any Trump supporting countries.

We should also ban any Trump supporters from entering Canada.

Make Canada safe again!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Fact in the last 50 years 4 times as many people in Canada have been killed or injured by trump supporters than Islamic terrorists.

So instead of worrying about Muslims We should be worrying about Trump supporters.

I suggest we start a trump watch list. Any Canadian who is a Trump supporter in Canada should be put on the list and should be banned from going to any Trump supporting countries.

We should also ban any Trump supporters from entering Canada.

Make Canada safe again!
I notice the sarcasm but you're missing my point.

I understand we disagree and that's fine but as far as trump supporters go, here.. at least.. they've been almost always the victim.
Seen the kidnap and torture video that happened in Chicago about a month ago?
Seen the supporters get spit on, attacked, assaulted in numerous ways? Girl gets hair lit on fire for her political views..
I don't think you have because the media doesn't report it.

Either way, I was wrong in this case which was the subject in the first place before we ventured off topic.

-Hypa

-6chr0nic4
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #37

Quote:
It's not about color, and it's not about race. The Quebecois mindset goes far beyond what we're talking about. I spotted a comment on the CBC website that outlines it perfectly.

This is so very true.
Over the years I have shared many stories about my time in Montreal. It was a wonderful city, but it also harboured a dark side that one will see only if their lives are immersed in french culture. In my first few weeks in Montreal, there were numerous times where I was chastised for not speaking french. Not quite spit on, but not too far off either. I sold our car because we didn't need it there, and wasn't able to transfer it without the use of a translator. This is because the provincial gov't refused to offer services in English. It's written into their laws that they don't have to.

Nearing the end of my stay there, I was given a provincially mandated french test when one of our employees contacted the province and told them an anglo was running the company. I found out on a random weekday morning. Just about to leave for a meeting (in french as I had been studying) I was met with two police cars and a provincial gov't official. They forced me to cancel my appointment so I could take the test then and there. Now, I passed the test without a problem, but the fact that it was administered by a gov't official, and two police officers soured me. That was just crazy, and I left Quebec about a month later. The funny thing is, my final two weeks in Montreal, I had an American $20 in my wallet. Anytime I opened my wallet to pay they thought I was American and accepted me as an anglo! It's fuking bananas....

On a side note, Quebec has had a tough history with violence.

- FLQ crisis (1970)
- Quebec Assembly shooting (1984)
- Polytechnique massacre (1989)
- Oka Crisis (1990)
- Dawson College shooting (2006)
- Assassination attempt on their own premier (2012)
- Terror attack on two CF personnel using vehicle (2015)
- 2017 Quebec mosque shooting
Wait.. you're not a 'Fucking white male!' ?

-Hypa

-6chr0nic4
Old 02-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #38
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Wait.. you're not a 'Fucking white male!' ?
Nuh uh, am too!!

My roots are ukranian/Slovenian, with a hint of Irish and Italian. Although I was raised Italian and identify as such.

On a side note, I loved st leonard, which is a suburb of Montreal. It's known as the Italian side of town and is where Luongo is from. There was also a Jewish borough where they had the coolest hobby shops. Montreal is a pretty diverse city when you think of it.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #39

Quote:
I notice the sarcasm but you're missing my point.

I understand we disagree and that's fine but as far as trump supporters go, here.. at least.. they've been almost always the victim.
Seen the kidnap and torture video that happened in Chicago about a month ago?
Seen the supporters get spit on, attacked, assaulted in numerous ways? Girl gets hair lit on fire for her political views..
I don't think you have because the media doesn't report it.

Either way, I was wrong in this case which was the subject in the first place before we ventured off topic.
FYI I live in Canada as do most of the people on this forum. It's a fact more people have been killed by trumps supporters then Muslim extremists in Canada. Zero trump supporters have been killed or servery injured in Canada.
ZERO