REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Chevron selling 5 more gas stations (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711673-chevron-selling-5-more-gas-stations.html)

supafamous 02-11-2017 08:49 AM

Chevron selling 5 more gas stations

Vancouver set to lose more gas stations amid boom in real estate - The Globe and Mail

Didn't see this mentioned in the past couple weeks but as Chevron is one of the few (only?) suppliers of 94 octane gas this is going to make it a bit more of a pain for some of us to gas up (I do the odd tank but run on 91 normally).

It's mostly the downtown and West side of Vancouver that's getting sold but eventually it's gonna hit East Van and Burnaby.

MrPhreak 02-11-2017 09:04 AM

No big deal, I only use Shell Premium... it is the only premium fuel with no Ethanol. Shell 91 > Chevron 94 any day of the week.

Also, what cars are you running 94 in? All the ones in your sig should be using regular, should they not?

Euro7r 02-11-2017 09:21 AM

The station I go to the most is shutting down. Doesn't help when my car is tuned on 94 gas...Maybe it's a sign I get a lower octane vehicle =/

dn53 02-11-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPhreak (Post 8822569)
No big deal, I only use Shell Premium... it is the only premium fuel with no Ethanol. Shell 91 > Chevron 94 any day of the week.

Also, what cars are you running 94 in? All the ones in your sig should be using regular, should they not?

If I'm not mistaken chevron 94 has no ethanol also..

I just pump Esso 91 now for the points

fliptuner 02-11-2017 09:24 AM

Costco 91 has no ethanol

bcuzracecarz 02-11-2017 09:54 AM

I prefer shell to Chev usually, becuase of quality and airmiles. Esso... I clean their tanks, and it's not good folks lol

flagella 02-11-2017 10:01 AM

Have you cleaned tanks from other brands though?

320icar 02-11-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Lol, my car backfires and spits on shitty shell gas. Chevron all the way

bcuzracecarz 02-11-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flagella (Post 8822580)
Have you cleaned tanks from other brands though?

Yup, and all over Canada. I've been in Shell, Co-op, Petro Canada, Esso, UFA; a lot of it is surprisingly the same shit just branded differently (co-op/Costco fill up their tanks through imperial). Esso I find is all mixed and disgusting. Blended diesel and gas, HFO in diesel, I've seen them unload 50k litres of reg into the premium tank. All to save a buck. Only a few companies are truely separate from the others, most just share

fliptuner 02-11-2017 12:00 PM

Is it cleaner if they go through a lot of fuel?

wingies 02-11-2017 01:08 PM

What do you put into your m3?

MrPhreak 02-11-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8822587)
Lol, my car backfires and spits on shitty shell gas. Chevron all the way

I've been running Shell forever, never had any issues like that. The main thing I've noticed is I get better mileage with Shell, it just seems to feel better on when I am bouncing it off the redline on Shell VS other grades.

320icar 02-11-2017 01:59 PM

Yeah I run it on the stage 3 91 or 93 octane maps. Chevron is what I've run in the car from new. A few times though with the fuel light on ive had to gas up. Shell v-power made my car backfire and pop, as did esso. Each time I had to go back to the stock tune just in case

Traum 02-11-2017 02:04 PM

To me, it isn't just a matter of Vancouver losing a few Chevron stations, it is more of Vancouver losing another few gas stations.

Increasingly, I find that the line ups are appearing more frequently / getting longer during more hours. While this is certainly a function of the city's population going up, I can't shake the impression that we are also having fewer gas stations serving the public.

I really don't want to wait until it is 10 o'clock before I can fill up the car without standing in line idling...

Badhobz 02-11-2017 02:34 PM

Shell regular is pretty garbage but their premium with nitro is good stuff.

Timpo 02-11-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Mazda Miata requires premium gas.

I know it's surprising since Miatas are perceived as entry level sportscar.

Timpo 02-11-2017 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supafamous (Post 8822567)
Vancouver set to lose more gas stations amid boom in real estate - The Globe and Mail

Didn't see this mentioned in the past couple weeks but as Chevron is one of the few (only?) suppliers of 94 octane gas this is going to make it a bit more of a pain for some of us to gas up (I do the odd tank but run on 91 normally).

It's mostly the downtown and West side of Vancouver that's getting sold but eventually it's gonna hit East Van and Burnaby.

Why do you need to go out of your way to get 94 octane.

As far as I know, no car needs 94 octane. (unless it's highly tuned race car of course)

McLaren P1, Bugatti Chiron, Pagani Huayra, Ford GT, Acura NSX, Lexus LFA, Nissan GT-R, Porsche 918, they require only 91 octane.

XplicitLuder 02-11-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8822627)

As far as I know.

you dont know shit timpo

Spoiler!

MrPhreak 02-11-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8822621)
To me, it isn't just a matter of Vancouver losing a few Chevron stations, it is more of Vancouver losing another few gas stations.

Increasingly, I find that the line ups are appearing more frequently / getting longer during more hours. While this is certainly a function of the city's population going up, I can't shake the impression that we are also having fewer gas stations serving the public.

I really don't want to wait until it is 10 o'clock before I can fill up the car without standing in line idling...

Don't worry... Gregor and his financial backers over at "Tides Canada" plans to have us all on bikes by 2020

twitchyzero 02-11-2017 03:48 PM

the bus yard on oak is worth almost half a billion dollars?!

horey shet

no wonder the viaducts are going to be dismantled.

CorneringArtist 02-11-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz (Post 8822590)
Yup, and all over Canada. I've been in Shell, Co-op, Petro Canada, Esso, UFA; a lot of it is surprisingly the same shit just branded differently (co-op/Costco fill up their tanks through imperial). Esso I find is all mixed and disgusting. Blended diesel and gas, HFO in diesel, I've seen them unload 50k litres of reg into the premium tank. All to save a buck. Only a few companies are truely separate from the others, most just share

Esso 91 seems to be the only gas that lights up the CEL while I drive on the highway at constant load, but clears when I accelerate a bit hard leaving a stoplight. Costco, Chevron, and Shell don't trip it at all.

bcuzracecarz 02-11-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8822605)
Is it cleaner if they go through a lot of fuel?

It all goes through the same filters, if anything a tank that goes through a lot of fuel will be dirtier because its had so many trucks unloading fuel into it. Just did a tank for ESSO that looked like an actual beach on the inside it had so much sand in it

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingies (Post 8822613)
What do you put into your m3?

Try to stick with Shell 91 as much as I can, Chevron if no shell around, rarely am I in a spot where I can't find one of those 2 since I try to not drive with less than a 1/4 tank anyways

supafamous 02-11-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8822627)
Why do you need to go out of your way to get 94 octane.

As far as I know, no car needs 94 octane. (unless it's highly tuned race car of course)

McLaren P1, Bugatti Chiron, Pagani Huayra, Ford GT, Acura NSX, Lexus LFA, Nissan GT-R, Porsche 918, they require only 91 octane.

I use 91 on both my cars but do the odd tank of 94 every few months if I'm at a Chevron. It's NBD to me - more raising it for those who have cars tuned for 93+.

vantrip 02-11-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz (Post 8822639)
It all goes through the same filters, if anything a tank that goes through a lot of fuel will be dirtier because its had so many trucks unloading fuel into it. Just did a tank for ESSO that looked like an actual beach on the inside it had so much sand in it

Do you have any pic?

bcuzracecarz 02-11-2017 06:02 PM

Camera + gas fumes = boom