REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-15-2017, 04:09 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,806 Times in 1,202 Posts
Driving to/from Anchorage, AK?

I'm doing some research work about a possible trip for this summer to visit Alaska.

The idea is doing the ferry from Bellingham to Whittier, AK one way (either to or from) and the other by car. Any suggestion which way to take?

Also, where to visit in AK? So far I have Kenai Fjord National Park for Glacier when arriving at Whittier (assuming ferry to there), Seward, Cooper Landing (fishing), Anchorage and head north until Fairbanks.

From Fairbanks we'd do a day trip to Barrow, AK by air just for the sake of visiting both the Northernmost and Southernmost cities in the America continent. After that, leaving early in the morning to make to Whitehorse, YT in day1 driving. Then slowly make our way back to Van.

Has anyone done the trip before? What are the recommendations? I am getting some suggestion on taking the Cassiar hwy (37) as an alternative route from Whitehorse to Prince George. Any word on that?
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,095 Times in 1,272 Posts
I did a lot of research but ultimately it came down to where the fuck to sleep and mosquitoes.

At $2k for the ferry bothways, might as well take a cruise and rent a car to drive around AK.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

The idea is to ferry there (or back) with our own car and do the ALCAN HWY.

I ordered the book Milepost today. Will see if I can get some better idea out of there.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

how long is that ferry? why not just drive all the way up there from here and see BC along the way?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
how long is that ferry? why not just drive all the way up there from here and see BC along the way?
It's a multi-day ferry trip... incredibly long and expensive. There is no direct ferry from Bellingham to Whittier, you'd have to transfer several times.

If you drive to Whittier it's 45 hours in a straight shot, so I'd probably break it up into 4-5 days to a week and sight-see in BC and Yukon along the way.

@OP, have you played around with the sailing search on the Alaska ferry system? It's quite expensive to sail from Bellingham. Might as well drive up, IMO. I have done some preliminary research as I've wanted to do the trip myself, and as long as you plan smart and plan ahead it should be doable without too much risk.

Alaska Marine Highway System - Vehicle and Passenger Fares
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

Supposedly there's ferry service from Bellingham to Whittier in the Spring/Summer Season (runs from March to September).

The idea is to visit Northern BC, YT and AK while not having to drive round-trip. So, one way ferry, and another way driving.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,214 Posts
I get it, but it's still $3400USD according to the ferry calculator for 2 adults and a CR-V sized vehicle one way

Alaska Ferry Fares

Driving fuel cost will be quite a bit below for round-trip, plus hotel/motel rooms or camping dependent on what you decide to do.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/TripCostCalculator
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,095 Times in 1,272 Posts
Prince Rupert to Juneau/Whittier is a bit cheaper at $500

You will also need a full size spare and prepare for rock chips/anything past dawson city. Check out the overlanders youtube page on their trip.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: