REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
BelairDirect - experience? How to save with them?

Been hearing about this new player in BC for comp and collision coverages and I played around with their quoting page online. However I can't spec it in any way or form such that I get a discount with 1 car 1 driver over what ICBC offers... All I care is that I satisfy Toyota's requirement for their 2015 Lexus leased vehicle. But so far no one is beating ICBC at their own game. If not Belair is there any other insurance companies that are more lease-friendly?

You can get a quick quote here
Home & Car Insurance Quotes - Fast, Free & Easy: belairdirect

If you have different experience please state your car make and model, use of the vehicle and whether it's a leased/financed/bought out vehicle?
Advertisement

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:10 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
anyone on belair or any other optional insurance you can recommend?

thinking of only going basic with icbc going forward then supplementing it with a 3rd-party insurer

thanks
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Need to renew this week. Got an online quote from Bel Air yesterday and it was $400 more than ICBC for similar coverage (no claims, no points, etc. ... collision, comprehensive, etc.)

My insurance from ICBC is up over $1300 for the year now, so pissed. $1700 is fucking nuts.

Going to shop around today and hopefully come up with something closer to what I want to pay.

I went ICBC last year, but I only got 2 quotes from private insurers for the optional coverage and both were higher and restricted my fiance from driving my car.

2006 BMW 325XI, 18 years clean driving record, to work 55 km each way.

Last edited by Jmac; 09-30-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #4

Got quotes from several Autoplan brokers for private optional ($2M liability, Comprehensive $300 deductible, Collision $500 deductable, and Underinsured Motorist) and they all came to between $260 and $415 more than ICBC.

I’d hate to see how much it would be if I had any claims or points in my driving history.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
^it also depends on the car.

are u combining it with home insurance?

I think an older thread, some people saved while others were high

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #6

The one that was ONLY $260 more was with the company I have my renters insurance with.

The rest of them were all within about $65 of each other (roughly $400 more than ICBC).
Old 09-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
I saved with belair, couple hundred at least. Oddly enough they were more expensive when I insured in northern bc whereas icbc was cheaper, Belair was still cheaper overall though. They also allow you to get an app that monitors your driving and can save you money based on how you drive.

Only thing that sucks is their phone hours are fucking dumb.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #8

i didn't get a quote on my new icbc rates but compared to last year's, belair rates from the online quote I think is around few hundred cheaper for me (clean record of 12 years, 2006 Acura 3-door hatch)
Old 09-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Like most things in life cheaper is not always better
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:13 AM   #10

is the online quote the total price or do they tack on fees/taxes?
Old 10-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
The customer service is pretty slow but rates are definitely cheaper, especially if you have multiple vehicles. I think they would be a pain to deal with in the event of a claim but luckily have not had to go through that process *knock on wood*

If you don't have 10 years or more clean driving experience, ICBC seems cheaper.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #12
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
The customer service is pretty slow but rates are definitely cheaper, especially if you have multiple vehicles. I think they would be a pain to deal with in the event of a claim but luckily have not had to go through that process *knock on wood*

If you don't have 10 years or more clean driving experience, ICBC seems cheaper.
It can be a bit of a pain with private since some insurers require a pre-estimate be sent off by an approved body shop before you can even drop off for repairs, and they can be slow in processing especially if an appraiser or supplement is required when the car is actually in the shop. ICBC's Valet system cuts into that a bit by allowing immediate sending off of claims once dropped off, but then ICBC is more expensive for some.

So really, 50/50 kind of deal if you want to save money or deal with ICBC.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #13
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

We have had our home and 2 cars optional insurance insured through Canadian Direct for 10 years. Canadian Direct was bought up by Belair last year. As indicated by a previous poster you will get a bigger discount if you insure multiple vehicles and have your house insurance through Canadian Direct/Belair. I checked last year and the optional insurance on our 2016 BMW through Canadian Direct was $800 less than the quote from ICBC for the same insurance! I do have 30 years of no at fault accident driving though and I am not sure how much of a difference that makes....
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

My car is through private as well (not Belair) and I saved $800 vs ICBC. I had a windshield claim and within 10 min on the phone (wait time included) I was done. Albeit it was a small claim but nonetheless private claims can be just as easy as ICBC. It just depends on the company. If Belair is anything like CDI service its going to suck. For anyone wondering I go through Economical/Family Insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
It can be a bit of a pain with private since some insurers require a pre-estimate be sent off by an approved body shop before you can even drop off for repairs, and they can be slow in processing especially if an appraiser or supplement is required when the car is actually in the shop. ICBC's Valet system cuts into that a bit by allowing immediate sending off of claims once dropped off, but then ICBC is more expensive for some.

So really, 50/50 kind of deal if you want to save money or deal with ICBC.
If the shop is a direct repair facility for that private insurance then it'll work much like ICBC Valet.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #15
I STILL don't get it

Get a quote with family insurance
MC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Just tried getting a quote with Family, got denied.
They changed their business model, if your vehicle is either leased or being used for purpose of business (i.e. realtors, mobile sales, contractors) they won't take ur business
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #17
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyrospec View Post
Just tried getting a quote with Family, got denied.
They changed their business model, if your vehicle is either leased or being used for purpose of business (i.e. realtors, mobile sales, contractors) they won't take ur business
Welcome to the world of private insurance where they can deny you coverage for whatever reason. Prior to Family I was denied coverage from several insurers due to the make/model of my car. For years I've been preaching how much better ICBC is versus private. From the quickness of claim handling to mandatory coverage. Grass isn't always greener on the other side. Don't get me wrong ICBC isn't a saint but they are seriously lesser of 2 evils. With the amount of shitty drivers around here private insurance wouldn't even cover 50% of these vehicles. If you're an excellent driver then private is the way to go but if you constantly get into accidents or frequent comprehensive/ windshield claims, stick with ICBC.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #18
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
So got a quote for my Huracan and last year I paid ICBC a one time payment (no monthly offered) around $3000 for the additional 3rd party insurance, Belair quoted me $1995, one time or paid monthly. A good driving record, no accidents/tickets and good credit goes a long way with private insurers.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #19

Family was significant more expensive for me...apparently it's only cheaper than icbc if you have a CSR level -20 discount
Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,123 Times in 179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Family was significant more expensive for me...apparently it's only cheaper than icbc if you have a CSR level -20 discount
Hmm, I just put my CSX on the road again and ICBC was $82 cheaper than family. I've had 43% for quite a while, and I've been insuring cars with Family for 12 years.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #21
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Got a call from BelairDirect last week soliciting for business -- I have previously (last year?) gotten an online car insurance quote from them, so I suppose that's how they have my number. Their rate was uncompetitive -- ie. more expensive than ICBC -- last year, and I am a generally accident and ticket-free driver. I have max discounts and whatever lowest CSR level there is with ICBC.

So for my little Mazda, the quote they gave me this time was an uncompetitive low $800-soemthing for $2M liability, $500 collision, and $300 comprehensive + underinsured protection. My current optional coverage through ICBC is just over $500 for exactly the same thing.

When the agent told me over the phone that my insurance quote was $800-something, I was really a bit shocked. With me not knowing how to respond right away, the agent went on to enthusiastically ask how I liked the insurance quote as if he was cutting me a super deal. I didn't have to heart to tell him that his offer was utterly uncompetitive, so I just thanked him and made up some bs excuse to end the call.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote