REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Washing Machine Very Noisy

I know something is worn out or broken.

When the washing machine is in the "spin cycle", it sounds like an airplane engine intake spinning super loud. I opened the washer up from the back and can't seem to see anything that is broken, I didn't disassemble everything as I am not sure what I'm doing.

Any recommendations on repairman? I looked up google and Cambie Appliance has good reviews, but $90 for service call. Not sure what is considered a norm price for something like this?
Advertisement
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
It also possible that all the clothes shifted onto one side which makes it spin weird and make noises like the washing machine is about to take off
Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,902 Posts
Same thing happened to mine, a sock got lodged inside the rubber gasket just inside door. Mine is Whirlpool front loading. If you can, check to see if gasket is on properly and if anything got trapped.

Last edited by whitev70r; 02-21-2017 at 06:18 AM.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

My center bearing, on the wheel that holds the belt, had play in it, and it shouldn't.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

Easy to fix, videos on YouTube. Save your $.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Rick Prasad
604-318-9353

Tell him Burnaby dryer repair job refered you.

This guy went above and beyond to replace a broken dryer belt. Cleaned and oiled the unit. Runs pretty close to new. I was planning on replacing the unit but probably got me another 2-2.5yrs now.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
in the butt

Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,181 Posts
Have you tried calling it nasty names and kicking it?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

is it a Samsung? There is a recall on them............
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #9

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
normal is $90 - 120 for service and subtracted if it's an actual fix.

is this a tenent or home use? cause I have an old maytag type (3yr old super basic) and when it breaks down i normally just replace with a second hand one for tenants.

repairs normally will end up being 150+ parts $50 bucks; which becomes $200-220
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
normal is $90 - 120 for service and subtracted if it's an actual fix.

is this a tenent or home use? cause I have an old maytag type (3yr old super basic) and when it breaks down i normally just replace with a second hand one for tenants.

repairs normally will end up being 150+ parts $50 bucks; which becomes $200-220
This is for personal use, not for rental tenants. It's GE, don't get why their shit in my entire house starts breaking, fridge and now washer...

It still works, just when it reaches spin cycle, it's like a damn airplane taking off LOL.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #11

Are all feet properly level
Old 02-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

have you tried putting on head phones??

on a serious note, get someone to look at it. mine did a very similar thing, turned out the belt was loose
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Something might have got stuck inside the rubber gasket. Check it nicely and keep your machine in a place away from dust.
tuhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #14

After 2 years making this thread and putting the washing machine on life support, it's officially busted completely. I lived through the airplane spin cycle noises, but now the machine won't spin at all. Only fills and drains.

I'm thinking of just getting a completely new one. Any recommendations of places and brands? I can only think of Bestbuy and Trail appliances off the top of my head.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Costco had Samsung washer for cheap $649
And homedepot had lg ones on sale $799
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #16
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Budget Appliances, and ask for the Revscene discount
J.Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #17

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
i get used washer and dryers for 180 in richmond; totally usable and for my tenants. no need to spring for a new one really.
CL for used washers.. i used them religiously for my tenant properties.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
This is for personal use, not for rental tenants. It's GE, don't get why their shit in my entire house starts breaking, fridge and now washer...

It still works, just when it reaches spin cycle, it's like a damn airplane taking off LOL.

Yeah, GE is rebadged Whirlpool and is junk. I have a GE front load as well. It has real problems balancing loads sometimes, it sounds like someone is dribbling a basketball inside the machine. The drum has hit the side panels so hard that it's got dents pushing out of them.

Main bearing is probably the cause for your noise. It's a pretty big job to do, you pretty much have to take the whole wash tub apart.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
I tore apart two used front load washers that a friend and I bought, it's pretty easy to do compared to working on a car but probably pricey if you're paying someone else to do it. The components can also be pretty heavy and you need a fair amount of space as well. The Samsung at least had a big hoop on the top of the drum assembly so if you've got an engine hoist that'd be convenient.

One had two blown shocks (easy fix without even opening it up beyond the access panel) and a bad bearing, but when I tore it down to check the bearing the spider was corroded and about to blow apart. In the other the spider had already corroded enough to fail.

The stupid aluminum spiders (connects the drum to the shaft) get corroded by the laundry soap and eventually fail, it's impossible to buy the spider separately (even though the stupid thing is bolted on). It was either spend $500+ for a new drum assembly or $600 for a brand new Samsung from Costco. I said screw it and went to Costco. Since it seems like every brand has aluminum spiders that are going to fail, and they refuse to sell them individually, I see no reason to buy anything beyond the cheapest model that will make the wife happy.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yeah, GE is rebadged Whirlpool and is junk. I have a GE front load as well. It has real problems balancing loads sometimes, it sounds like someone is dribbling a basketball inside the machine. The drum has hit the side panels so hard that it's got dents pushing out of them.

Main bearing is probably the cause for your noise. It's a pretty big job to do, you pretty much have to take the whole wash tub apart.
I went to check some washers over the weekend, didn't pull trigger yet.

All the new stuff uses this HE crap and most don't have the agitator in the middle. I read online cleaning is mediocre due to water saving and energy saving. So I'm not too sure yet what I want to do haha.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:04 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I'd rather buy used to be honest. Unless you buy a new property you're using used appliances anyway. I'd buy pre-2000 units with a top load washer.

Maytag sells a commercial grade residential top load washer. They have a matching dryer as well. Set looks to be close to $3,000 though if new is your thing.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I tore apart two used front load washers that a friend and I bought, it's pretty easy to do compared to working on a car but probably pricey if you're paying someone else to do it. The components can also be pretty heavy and you need a fair amount of space as well. The Samsung at least had a big hoop on the top of the drum assembly so if you've got an engine hoist that'd be convenient.

One had two blown shocks (easy fix without even opening it up beyond the access panel) and a bad bearing, but when I tore it down to check the bearing the spider was corroded and about to blow apart. In the other the spider had already corroded enough to fail.

The stupid aluminum spiders (connects the drum to the shaft) get corroded by the laundry soap and eventually fail, it's impossible to buy the spider separately (even though the stupid thing is bolted on). It was either spend $500+ for a new drum assembly or $600 for a brand new Samsung from Costco. I said screw it and went to Costco. Since it seems like every brand has aluminum spiders that are going to fail, and they refuse to sell them individually, I see no reason to buy anything beyond the cheapest model that will make the wife happy.
Apparently Askos have stainless spiders.

Miele's might, but not sure.

Once the spider or bearing goes on my GE I'm probably going ASKO.
I'd prefer to go top load but space in my laundry room means I need a stackable unit, and stacker top loads suck for capacity.
I don't care about the high efficiency bullshit. I want my clothes clean, fast. I don't give a shit how much water and electricity that takes.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 03-07-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #23
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Apparently Askos have stainless spiders.

Miele's might, but not sure.
What's the pricing like on those? I can't say I've ever heard of Askos. Hopefully I can get at least a few good years out of the Samsung front load I got, I'm torn between spending more to get something that will (hopefully) last or just spending as little as possible on something brand new and not caring if I only get a few years from it since front loads seem to be an inherently flawed design.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #24

Between 2-3K
https://www.cityfurniturecanada.com/...dry/42-Washers

Washers - Asko Appliances USA
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4