REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:47 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
best chance we have of meeting an intelligent life form is for them to find us first.
Humanity should fear for their lives if that day comes where we meet a life form intelligent enough to find us.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:56 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Humanity should fear for their lives if that day comes where we meet a life form intelligent enough to find us.
That's assuming this intelligent life is as shitty as ours has been in the last few thousand years

IMO if there's a life form that is advanced enough to be travelling the universe meeting new species, I would bet that they have left things behind like shitty culture, superstition, religion, bigotry, etc. For me, the only way to gain the ability of near light speed travel (and figuring out physics far beyond what we think is possible) a species would have to be enlightened in the truest sense of the word.

Or maybe not, and the one with the shittiest culture won, and is going around enslaving life forms around the universe
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #28

Crazy how small this "solar system" and its "sun" is compared to ours!
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #29
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

ya, isn't the star only like 13% the mass of our own sun?

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Why? Only idiots like us would seek harm on another life form if we found one. An intelligent life would seek peace and spread their intelligence to another, teaching them how to cooperate and still live a life with an equal abundance of resource, wealth, and happiness.

Because humanity is so destructive and naturally seeking dominance, I think they would fear for their lives to come in contact with us instead.

Quote:
That's assuming this intelligent life is as shitty as ours has been in the last few thousand years

IMO if there's a life form that is advanced enough to be travelling the universe meeting new species, I would bet that they have left things behind like shitty culture, superstition, religion, bigotry, etc. For me, the only way to gain the ability of near light speed travel (and figuring out physics far beyond what we think is possible) a species would have to be enlightened in the truest sense of the word.

Or maybe not, and the one with the shittiest culture won, and is going around enslaving life forms around the universe
If there was a life form far more advance than ours, they wouldn't have a shitty culture, religion, etc. in the first place. They wouldn't even have a culture or religion whatsoever. You would have to think, because they're so intelligent, they wouldn't need religion to explain their existence or a culture to define themselves.

Keep in mind, they're more advance, which means everything about them surpasses us. To relate their system of life with ours is very narrow minded. You'd have to really really think outside of the box to even understand a small percentage of their intelligence. They probably have a far more advance system in terms of money, trades, and respect that doesn't need to be governed by laws, policies, rules, and/or regulations. They have a far more advance understanding about conflict and peace than we humans can imagine.

Everything about them would be based on pure understanding, nothing on theory. I mean, if they can travel through space and time, they'd have a calculation far beyond Albert Einstein. Which would mean that they can even calculate action to consequences. For example, the time and space an action is taken will produce x result.

I believe that we human can reach this level of intelligence, where we can travel through time and space. I won't get into it though.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Quote:

The earth is nothing.

Even this super gigantic star is an insignificant little dot in the space that it's almost invisible.

Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #32
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

old news, aliens been around for quite a while. Nasa is just being governments puppet and slowly introducing to us as "new discoveries" and "micro organism" life slowly over the next few years.
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2017, 02:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos View Post
old news, aliens been around for quite a while. Nasa is just being governments puppet and slowly introducing to us as "new discoveries" and "micro organism" life slowly over the next few years.
Source?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #34
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol.. Theres gotta be life on other planets... Humans can be the only lifeform on a single planet...
Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #35
The sound of inevitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos View Post
I know a gentleman in his 40's or 50's I talk to about this regularly. We have interesting conversations and he brings this up all the time but he has no sources and claims that the government is hiding it, etc. Maybe it's true, I've no clue but you can't make these statements without proof of any kind.
I'd love to believe, but currently I do not.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #36

A few years ago, Stephen Hawking speculated that a future alien encounter could turn out much like Columbus discovering North America. We all know how that turned out for the natives.

The main argument is that historically, exploration by humans has been motivated by economics and resources. By extention it's plausible that an alien civilization could have the same motivations.

I saw a Discovery channel astronomy program that made a good argument. Humans evolved into a species with a survival instinct to violently claim as much land and resources as possible for self-preservation, and a curiosity to explore the unknown. This is how we became the dominant species on Earth. In order for an alien species to become intelligent and technologically advanced, they likely had to compete and prevail against other native species on their planet.

It's comforting to think that aliens with great enough technology to contact other worlds would be doing so in the noble pursuit of knowledge, but there is a tangible possibility that they would be selfishly motivated and hostile.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
A few years ago, Stephen Hawking speculated that a future alien encounter could turn out much like Columbus discovering North America. We all know how that turned out for the natives.

The main argument is that historically, exploration by humans has been motivated by economics and resources. By extention it's plausible that an alien civilization could have the same motivations.

I saw a Discovery channel astronomy program that made a good argument. Humans evolved into a species with a survival instinct to violently claim as much land and resources as possible for self-preservation, and a curiosity to explore the unknown. This is how we became the dominant species on Earth. In order for an alien species to become intelligent and technologically advanced, they likely had to compete and prevail against other native species on their planet.

It's comforting to think that aliens with great enough technology to contact other worlds would be doing so in the noble pursuit of knowledge, but there is a tangible possibility that they would be selfishly motivated and hostile.
I wouldn't agree. We can only come up with this idea because that is how we operate and how we seek to survive.

A similar analogy is this, humans to aliens is like a lion to a whale. The lion won't seek to inhabit the whale's ocean environment because the lion will not survive in that environment. In addition, the resources in that environment is useless to the lion. Even if the lion can access that environment, the resources may not be useful to the lion.

We're talking about difference species here. Aliens and humans, in my opinion, are possibly two totally different species. The only thing Aliens would ever want from us is our ideas, our thoughts, our plans on why we invaded beyond our planet and how we operate as a life being. The same way we would want to study the idea of an animals habitat and the idea of how they survive in such harsh environment. And if they ever invaded our space, we would want to know why.

And again, since we're talking about a civilization much advanced then ours, they have surpassed us in every possible way in terms of system and process, and killing, conquering, destruction, may not possibly be the first solution to a problem. Otherwise, I don't think we would be here right now.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
intelligent life forms will likely not be able to harness our resources

even if they capture us to be their slaves...we would probably be useless to them.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
TBH, I think if the development of the last 150 years gives us any clue, highly advanced civilization would tend a be a lot more... well... civilized.

I mean, personal desire aside (a la emperor of Star Wars), technology has ensured that working together is the only way forward. This is because of the existence of MAD. Once you weaponize something to a degree that its destruction power is of totality, such weapon simply ensures that no one is dumb enough to ever activate it. Its bare existence just signifies a balance of power and accomplishments in technology.

I'm a believer of UFO and aliens because it makes more sense that they exist than the opposite, so I might be biased. But the fact remains that when you have some extremely high technology, you realize that fighting for something is so stupid.

Take AI as an example, I believe that a well-controlled AI would catapult human race to a whole new dimension. What if we no longer need to work... no longer need to even eat or fuck... we have every satisfaction granted by the advancement of technology. We'd stop fighting, and start doing things worth our time. Or perhaps, time would no longer be a barrier. When human race achieves all that... we are god. And by then, the concept of fighting would become a uncomprehensive idea that we want to visit other less developed civilization (or maybe create our own) just to grasp the meaning of it.

Perhaps that's what aliens are doing.

Last edited by Hehe; 02-27-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Hehe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #40
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It is not that they are not be able to.. it will likely be they don't need to. Look, we can't even get to anywhere near light travel, let alone being able to travel at light or past light speed. To master that we will need to understand and expand our models of matter.

If you can travel and sustain at light speed, making materials will be the least of your problems, especially if you have the resources to be traveling around the universe and just happen to come across Earth.

Don't worry about colonizing and laying Trappist to waste, we will kill ourselves off first much earlier than that. I don't think even Mars needs to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
TBH, I think if the development of the last 150 years gives us any clue, highly advanced civilization would tend a be a lot more... well... civilized.

I mean, personal desire aside (a la emperor of Star Wars), technology has ensured that working together is the only way forward. This is because of the existence of MAD. Once you weaponize something to a degree that its destruction power is of totality, such weapon simply ensures that no one is dumb enough to ever activate it. Its bare existence just signifies a balance of power and accomplishments in technology.

I'm a believer of UFO and aliens because it makes more sense that they exist than the opposite, so I might be biased. But the fact remains that when you have some extremely high technology, you realize that fighting for something is so stupid.

Take AI as an example, I believe that a well-controlled AI would catapult human race to a whole new dimension. What if we no longer need to work... no longer need to even eat or fuck... we have every satisfaction granted by the advancement of technology. We'd stop fighting, and start doing things worth our time. Or perhaps, time would no longer be a barrier. When human race achieves all that... we are god. And by then, the concept of fighting would become a uncomprehensive idea that we want to visit other less developed civilization (or maybe create our own) just to grasp the meaning of it.

Perhaps that's what aliens are doing.
The AI example is exactly what I believe intelligent life forms are doing if they wanted to take over our world. Intelligent life probably has an advance mentality and methodology on a system and the only way they can use that to take over anything, is to implant that mentality into the environment.

It's the same as if you're the super intelligent one in a company and has the mindset to make the company grow and profit. You're not gonna hold bomb to your employees and threaten them to work. You would share your intelligence and mentally program it into your employees head, to allow them the choice to share the same vision of grow and expand with you.

However, among humanity, there will always be war and fight for dominance because we are trapped in the cycle of life. We are programmed to survive. No need to elaborate on this.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 AM   #42
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

think about this, the universe is a very strange place, I believe there are many multi-dimensions, dimensions we can't even imagine that exist. We would probably need special technology to be able to view them. Just cause we can't see them doesn't mean something can't exist, our brains are too tiny to understand.

Gravity waves, radio waves, microwaves, sound waves, infrared, ultra violet lights, can we see them? no (only with technology) are they there, yes. Also speaking about spirits/ghosts/devils/angels, what if they do exist, they are living in a different time, dimension, frequency we can't understand yet.

How about animals, octopus, dolphins, whales, birds, bats. All have special abilities whether it be camouflage, sonar, echo location, magnetism, and humans with the pineal gland (third eye) How hard is it to believe it's possible for weird shit to exist out there? When the universe is so vast, we can't even imagine a picture of how big space is, it's beyond our imagination.

Just remember, we are in space, our earth is floating in it, we're basically a huge vessel of life out of the trillions and hundred million trillions of galaxies with their own trillions and trillions of suns with their own trillions and trillions of solar systems with their own set of planets that might harbour life like our own solar system. I believe our technology cannot reach that level yet to precisely measure whether or not another system has life or not, and we do not know if they actually do require water or oxygen to survive. Crabs have been found living in rather harsh extreme heat underwater near steam vents as well as micro organisms found still living in ember from thousands of years ago.
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:48 AM   #43
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
u guys are nuts for trying to predict what superior intelligent life would be like.

There would be so many types, it would be so diverse. all of the types you guys have described would exist. plus a lot more.

aliens are probably so alien, you couldn't even begin to understand or describe them. their actions might not even make any logical sense.

the cosmos probably has some "natural" balance much like earth or any other system does. when new variables meet for the first time, they'll eventually be "balanced" into the system... meaning destroyed, consumed, or assimilated... or come out on top and they are the new predator. there most probably is a cosmic version of this, and it's been very well established since long ago. we're just waiting for the day where we find out where we stand in the cosmic pyramid.

hell, we might just be a simple catalyst for some cosmic change, like a really complex chemical reaction, after it's complete, we'll be gone.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
u guys are nuts for trying to predict what superior intelligent life would be like.

There would be so many types, it would be so diverse. all of the types you guys have described would exist. plus a lot more.

aliens are probably so alien, you couldn't even begin to understand or describe them. their actions might not even make any logical sense.

the cosmos probably has some "natural" balance much like earth or any other system does. when new variables meet for the first time, they'll eventually be "balanced" into the system... meaning destroyed, consumed, or assimilated... or come out on top and they are the new predator. there most probably is a cosmic version of this, and it's been very well established since long ago. we're just waiting for the day where we find out where we stand in the cosmic pyramid.

hell, we might just be a simple catalyst for some cosmic change, like a really complex chemical reaction, after it's complete, we'll be gone.
Calls us nuts, then does the same thing.

To respond to that, what you said is similar to what I explained except the fact that intelligent life has surpassed the idea of physical conflict. The only conflict they would ever have is mental conflict. Some sort of mind control and converting other species and civilizations into their system.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #45
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Do I believe life exists on other planets? Sure, the chances are high and improving with every planetary discovery. We are still finding life on Earth in places we never thought possible so the conditional requirements, when looking for these planets, is growing as well. Intelligent life is certainly a possibility under the right conditions.

Where you lose me is on alien life and interstellar travel their awareness of our existence. The Universe is so unfathomably big. Our sphere of influence has thus far only reached 110 light years with our earliest radio broadcasts and 74 light years for television. Our furthest sent probe, on a 40 year journey, just left our solar system approximately 4 years ago. The chances of an interstellar traveler becoming aware of our existence is almost as slim as the universe vast. Let alone how inhospitable space is to life as we know it. Let alone the propulsion system needed and the intelligence required to build it. Let alone how short our existence has been on this planet and how short life is for a species in general, advanced alien civilizations could have come and gone long before mammals took over from the dinosaurs.

I often do wonder if we hold the title of most advanced life in the universe. It can be a bit depressing.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #46
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
I'd wager that everything that does exist out there is extremely different from anything we're even capable of considering possible with our current knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

even if they capture us to be their slaves...we would probably be useless to them.
I might be wrong, but any life form capable of coming to Earth is going to be just as capable of going to plenty of other places to acquire any resource they could want from Earth. Why go to a planet with all these annoying sacks of meat walking around to get what you want when you can just go get it someplace uninhabited.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #47
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
The interesting thing to think about regarding other intelligent life on earth is the possible start dates for that life.

The universe is what, 14billion years old? Earth has only been developing for 4 billion years and humans, really, like 10,000.

Look at the advancements in our own technology in the last 150 years. Imagine where our technology will be in another 150 years... 1500 years.. 1.5million years? 1.5 billion?

We always talk about how humans have only been able to reach so far into the universe, that aliens probably havent been able to reach us for the same reason.

What if the planet that some other intelligent life is from got their start 8 or 10 billion years ago. Or even just a million years before earth. That is a blink of an eye in the existence of the universe, but an absolute eternity for technological evolution. The likelyhood that Earth and Humans are leading the way is so unlikely, that if there is other intelligent life on earth, they must be advanced so far beyond us its almost impossible to imagine.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #48
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I might be wrong, but any life form capable of coming to Earth is going to be just as capable of going to plenty of other places to acquire any resource they could want from Earth. Why go to a planet with all these annoying sacks of meat walking around to get what you want when you can just go get it someplace uninhabited.
What if these annoying sacks of meat are the least troublesome of all the other species out there.

We always think we're important. We really probably aren't.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #49
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Look at the advancements in our own technology in the last 150 years. Imagine where our technology will be in another 150 years... 1500 years.. 1.5million years? 1.5 billion?
That's assuming we don't wipe our entire species out by then.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #50
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
What if these annoying sacks of meat are the least troublesome of all the other species out there.

We always think we're important. We really probably aren't.
That's what I'm saying, people seem to think humans and Earth are so terribly important. When in reality our race, our planet and even our solar system are insignificant. Why would anything come to our dinky little rock for resources?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote