REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Travelling to Italy with a 9 month old

Hi Revscene members, my wife and I are planning to go to Italy (Venice, Florence and Rome) along with our 9 month old (he'll be 9 months by then) for 2 weeks in April 2017. I see that bringing a stroller there may be a bad idea because of the bumping and narrow sidewalks so I may be just putting him in a carrier. Do you recommend renting car or taking public transit/trains would be ok? Is it difficult to drive over there?

I hear that there are a lot of gypsies so we'll have to keep an eye out of our surroundings. Are there anything else we should be aware of?

thanks!
Advertisement
sp00n_oo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Can't speak to Venice or Rome but Florence is gonna be stupid with a stroller.

Almost everywhere you go has stairs, cobble stones, etc. public transit there is useless because everywhere you go for the most part are pedestrian only zones or streets where busses etc do not operate. There is no big bus tour or any thing similar because you can't drive in a loop to the major attractions. Renting a car would be even worse. Buy the Firenze pass in Florence to get into all the attractions and skip the lines. If you don't and think you're gonna wait in line with a 9 month old for 2 hours to see the David, I'd say have fun with that.

No offense but going to those places with a 9 mont old sounds like a nightmare to me.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #3
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
No offense but going to those places with a 9 mont old sounds like a nightmare to me.
+1

Why would you do that to yourself?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,750 Times in 1,181 Posts
Use a baby carrier (either front/back ones) instead of a stroller.

We have traveled to many parts of the world when my kid was still a baby... no issue. We took turn carrying the carrier and travel either light or defined points (always keeping big luggage in hotel).
Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I was in Venice last summer and the amount of people was 10x worse than Vegas on a busy night. They don't allow you to sit on any of the stairs, there are next to no public washrooms, so you have to pay to use a toilet in a bistro - if you can find one. At least April will not be as hot as when we went, as it was 37c and bloody humid. If you do go to Venice, pay the extra money and take a private water taxi. Big bucks, much better ride in and out of the city, which is gorgeous to say the least.

Last edited by Zedbra; 11-17-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 PM   #6
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
wow, does your wife hate you? Baby in Europe at a touristy place in summer with a stroller.. danggggg cobble stones... no elevator at places... man...
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I agree, that won't be safe for the baby.
shielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 AM   #8
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Traveled to Okinawa for a week with my 7 month old daughter and wife and I would suggest the following tips if you decide to go in the trip:

- get a good baby carrier (I use ergobaby) instead of a stroller

- bring a thermos and pre pack your formula in separate containers for easy preparation

- plan your days ahead as changing and feeding baby will consume a good chunk of your time

- stay in a good hotel and ask them in advance what amenities they offer for baby, like cribs, bath, and a hot water boiler

- read up online about families who have traveled with a similar age infant and see what their tips are as well!

Good luck!
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: