REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Speeding ticket...

Hello guys. Ok so basically I got caught speeding down Patullo bridge (50 zone) I sped up to pass a truck as I'm not comfortable driving really close to it (narrow lanes) but couldnt't not carry speed all the way because there's cars on both lanes doing just over the speed limit but I got caught on the radar. I talked to the police officer but didn't get a chance to explain it as I was nervous but I apologized and handle the situation with politeness and humility, hell even talked about non traffic related stuff. Long story short I got a ticket but the cop was pretty cool and I even asked jokingly what are the chances of him showing up if I dispute it and he said "this is my 2 year and I don't get time offs, so im just gonna let it slide there"...What you guys think? even if he shows up do I have a good case? I asked if they can provide me with the readings of the radar and stuff and they said they'll send it to me if I dispute it.
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #2
in the butt

Thanked 3,222 Times in 1,184 Posts
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
why the hell would you ask if he would show up if you dispute it
Old 03-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-vip View Post
Hello guys. Ok so basically I got caught speeding down Patullo bridge (50 zone) I sped up to pass a truck as I'm not comfortable driving really close to it (narrow lanes) but couldnt't not carry speed all the way because there's cars on both lanes doing just over the speed limit but I got caught on the radar. I talked to the police officer but didn't get a chance to explain it as I was nervous but I apologized and handle the situation with politeness and humility, hell even talked about non traffic related stuff. Long story short I got a ticket but the cop was pretty cool and I even asked jokingly what are the chances of him showing up if I dispute it and he said "this is my 2 year and I don't get time offs, so im just gonna let it slide there"...What you guys think? even if he shows up do I have a good case? I asked if they can provide me with the readings of the radar and stuff and they said they'll send it to me if I dispute it.
What the heck do you think? You were speeding, you got caught, please just pay the completely valid ticket and don't waste the courts time. If you weren't comfortable being beside the truck you could've reduced your speed instead.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Lol legit you got caught, just pay up.
jdzle69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Fucking people wasting my tax dollars on disputing tickets they are guilty for. Jesus Christ
Old 03-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to just pay it up. You guys are right...please close the thread.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
its really up to you...but consider this:

1. court appearances are ONLY available mon to fri business hours - will you have to skip work?

2. in court - cop is a no show? BAM - ticket automatically cancelled

3. in court - cop is a show? you can negotiate or ask for a further reduction of the ticket.

UP 2 U
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
and he said "this is my 2 year and I don't get time offs, so im just gonna let it slide there"...
dooooood

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #10

^^^thats what got me thinking right I mean come on If he says that, it makes you think twice right but then again maybe he's bluffing...
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
"this is my 2 year and I don't get time offs, so im just gonna let it slide there"
I don't even know what that means...

Speeding is an absolute liability offence. You either did it, or you didn't. If the officer attends court and provides enough evidence for the JP to believe that you were going 51 in a 50 zone, you'll be found guilty. The only defence for speeding is one of necessity. I've never once heard a successful case of necessity.

If you were given the fine for 1-20km/hr over ($138), it doesn't get any lower than that in court when pleading guilty to speeding. It can get lower if you pay within the first 30 days of receiving the ticket ($25 reduced price), or if the officer is willing to amend the offence to something that is related and the fine also able to be lowered (for example: Disobey Traffic Control Device).

If you were given the fine for 21-40km/hr over ($196), the lowest it can be reduced to for pleading guilty to speeding is $138. It can also be lowered by $25 if you pay within the first 30 days of receiving the ticket. I doubt any officer would reduce it further than that for a guilty plea to an offence like Disobey Traffic Control Device.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
If you were given the fine for 1-20km/hr over ($138), it doesn't get any lower than that in court when pleading guilty to speeding.
You can ask to have it amended to RO. It could potentially keep you under 4 DPP or it may help your insurance premiums if you are privately insured.

If you're going from 0 to 3 points with this offence or you don't carry private insurance, don't even bother asking the charging officer to amend.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:35 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

just pay it, dammnit
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #14
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I wont say what the tolerance is. But in order to get a speeding ticket, you need to be really moving and or unsafe for road conditions to get stopped. Since motorists must slow down for police lights on at the side of the road. Police here tend to tolerate a dull roar of speeding before they'll do a traffic stop and possibly cause problems of motorists slowing down as they pass the traffic stop. So for safety the officer needs solid justification for the stop.

As in you well above the limit!
max930 is offline   Reply With Quote