REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Here is the Uber ceo with 2 random girls arguing with a Uber driver. Skip to 3:55 for argument.

and

Also it's only a matter of time before uber replaces it's drivers with self driving cars.
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,752 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
My buddy who lives in TO says he's asked a few drivers who work "full time" for uber and he said the general answer is 80-100k a year
From what I have seen online, it's about $15-20 an hour.
Just google, how much does an uber driver make.
PeanutButter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #28
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Why even do it for $15-$20 an hour..

In Portland there were plenty of younger drivers driving 50k+ cars with both Lyft and Uber stickers on them, presumablely working it as a full time job

15 an hour wouldn't make up for the maintanance/depreciation of a half decent car
Old 03-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #29
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Why even do it for $15-$20 an hour
People do it because it's an easy job and humans are inherently lazy.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Whatever you are reading, the person hasn't taken depreciation into account.

To make the matter worse, Uber doesn't just allow any car to be on their system. So you can't go and drive a $800 beater and expect to work for Uber.

The only way to the system to work is for Uber to take less of a cut or be in countries where human labor costs next to nothing.

didi, the uber-equivalent (actually Uber China just merged with them) in China works in China because for the regular service, they have little limitation. So anyone with a cheapo car... say equivalent of Honda Fit, Nissan Micra can go (usually you get Chinese brand cars) and people can make a living of it because as long as they can make something like 500usd a month, they are good.

For high-wage economies like US/CA/EU, it doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 PM   #31
i like gifs

I used Uber a few times when I was in Toronto and I loved it. There was a taxi stand outside my hotel (downtown Hyatt) and I asked them how much it was to drive me 15 minutes north to the Yonge/Wellesley are (45 min walk) and the price they quoted was about 3x the price of an Uber.

I told him that I'll just Uber for a 1/3 of the cost and he started getting all pissed about how Uber is stealing their business. I told him that it wasn't my problem and the only thing I care about is getting there for the least amount of money. Uber was there in 5 minutes and asked if I was cool with listening to EDM on the drive there. Had some small talk about how different Vancouver and Toronto are and it was just an overall pleasant ride.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #32
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
didi, the uber-equivalent (actually Uber China just merged with them) in China works in China because for the regular service, they have little limitation. So anyone with a cheapo car... say equivalent of Honda Fit, Nissan Micra can go (usually you get Chinese brand cars) and people can make a living of it because as long as they can make something like 500usd a month, they are good.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Uber will pay drivers really good when they first start in a city then go downhill from there. So if you are interested, sign up early!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #34
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
^ I can see it smth like Pokemon Go... all hype for the first month... and then... yea..

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #35

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Combine an Uber job with Twitch streaming. If the boobie streamers could drive, they'd make a killing.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #36
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Don't really care about uber stealing info, drivers getting paid peanuts, etc etc

If I can get a ride from downtown at 11-2am I'll be happy
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #37
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Stay away from driving for Uber. Most people actually make around minimum wage after all expenses when I was researching on Uber and Lyft a while back.

It might work if you do a part-time gig on Friday and Saturday night downtown, but that's about it. Vancouver is too sparse to make consistent income driving.

I know there's a Chinese one that mainlanders use. Friend showed it to me on Wechat. Apparently it's a bunch of dudes driving around in BMWs and Ferraris that try to pick up female passengers
I use them all the time when I am in China (another app not wechat) Is actually better than taxi in China since most of the time taxi don't really stop for you while these drivers will.

I think a large number of drivers in China uses them. Since if you call then using the app and they are neraby and is going to where you are going why not make some money. With China there are tons of ppl driving so the chances of them going to the same/nearby places where you are going is high.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #38
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I use them all the time when I am in China (another app not wechat) Is actually better than taxi in China since most of the time taxi don't really stop for you while these drivers will.

I think a large number of drivers in China uses them. Since if you call then using the app and they are neraby and is going to where you are going why not make some money. With China there are tons of ppl driving so the chances of them going to the same/nearby places where you are going is high.
Oops, I meant a Chinese version of uber in Vancouver that mainlanders use.

It's Kabu something. Wechat based. Then there's another one that even has it's own app. Something with a 0 in it.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:43 AM   #39
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I don't understand why cities and their taxi drivers are so against Uber. I mean there is generally more than one cab company in a city. Isn't Uber essentially just another one doing the same thing in a slightly different way? Maybe I don't know enough about it but it seems to me that its like a city has shoe stores that only sell Addidas and now someone wants to open a store and sell Nike and the Addidas stores are up in arms because now there is more variety and they might lose some sales to the Nike store.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I think the issue is that these taxi drivers paid significant amount of money to obtain taxi license. Quick Google yielded $800k. So their logic is, "we followed the rules, but now all these people are coming in and driving people around without having to go through obtaining license."

This whole system should've never existed. And now it's going to be painful unwinding it because these poor bastards made such terrible investment in an industry that's becoming obsolete.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:53 AM   #41
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
NYC yellow cab medallion prices falling further - Business Insider

Quote:
Early this month, a medallion — basically the right to operate a yellow cab in New York — was listed for $250,000 on nycitycab.com.

That's a stark contrast from 2014, when the value of a medallion was listed around $1.3 million.
Cabbies are going to take a hit in their net worth. These taxi licenses used to be guaranteed investments because of their exclusivity.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #42
Need my Daily Fix of RS

So for Joe cabbie to be able to legally drive around his yellow Crown Vic and be paid by the public to ferry them around he has to put up $250,000? That can't be right. Surely if you apply for a new one yourself it's substantially less. Otherwise that has to be the worst investment in the history of the world.

Having said that I can see why they would be upset about Uber just being able to have people register as drivers and start doing the same thing. I would agree that there should be an annual fee or something to operate.

But public transport is retarded anyways. As other have already said; never around when you need it. The fact that the fuckin skytrain isn't 24hrs blows my god damn mind.
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #43
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGN23 View Post
I don't understand why cities and their taxi drivers are so against Uber. I mean there is generally more than one cab company in a city. Isn't Uber essentially just another one doing the same thing in a slightly different way? Maybe I don't know enough about it but it seems to me that its like a city has shoe stores that only sell Addidas and now someone wants to open a store and sell Nike and the Addidas stores are up in arms because now there is more variety and they might lose some sales to the Nike store.
They are against it because the owners cultivated a monopoly with the city so they can charge higher rates with no competition. They further drive up the price by restricting supply, which is why you can never get a cab. Once competition gets introduced, the rates fall to what they are actually worth.

Think of it like this... if Addidas setup shop in Vancouver and the city made a rule that they are the only shoe company allowed, and nobody is permitted to wear other shoes. With a monopoly in place, they can charge thousands of dollars for shoes, and if you want a pair, well you have to pay up. By the way, even though Addidas can make enough shoes, they purposely ensure there are not enough shoes for everybody, so you need to really pay up for them! The city of course does their part by taking a huge cut of those massive profits that for the exclusive protection.

It is basically a legitimized version of bribing the city for exclusive favours and protection from competition... about time it started to crumble
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #44
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
So for Joe cabbie to be able to legally drive around his yellow Crown Vic and be paid by the public to ferry them around he has to put up $250,000? That can't be right. Surely if you apply for a new one yourself it's substantially less. Otherwise that has to be the worst investment in the history of the world.

Having said that I can see why they would be upset about Uber just being able to have people register as drivers and start doing the same thing. I would agree that there should be an annual fee or something to operate.

But public transport is retarded anyways. As other have already said; never around when you need it. The fact that the fuckin skytrain isn't 24hrs blows my god damn mind.
To this point though, I've never been to a major city where the subway was 24 hrs
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #45

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Nothing would make me happier than put these shitty cab companies out of business. Fuck them all. I can't even begin to count the times we've declined going to an event (drinking involved) because we know its almost impossible to get home. Its also an 80% chance you have to tell the driver how to get to where you're going because they just got here. And then they have attitude to boot. Fuck them.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #46

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
That's pretty much exactly how it worked. Except for many years in NY the price wasn't 250k it was 1mil for a medallion.

The reason the prices for medallions in NYC went so high was because there was only so many available to the companies.

It's a similar situation here in vancouver, the province restricted the amount of cabs allowed to operate. This was the case until yesterday's brief, where they have now said they will change that and allow companies to operate as many as they like. Which is what makes the most sense, let the company determine what the market will bear.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #47
I don't get it

i researched some uber, but ya, first month = lots of $ to be made, then its going to slowly die down, so the smart money is in the first 2 months and you just get out of it right after because so many uber drivers coming in to make the quick buck , supply & demand ppl
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #48
My homepage has been set to RS

Unless you're an Uber driver in popular destination cities like Orlando there is no way you're going to make even close to 50K a year. Hyundai in the states had some leasing deal with Uber if I remember correctly...majority of Ubers I took were in Hyundais at least around Orlando.

Unfortunate the NDP fell right into the Liberals trap...looks like they're against Uber at this point which is going to turn away a lot of young voters.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:39 AM   #49
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:48 AM   #50

Thanked 4,736 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Unless you're an Uber driver in popular destination cities like Orlando there is no way you're going to make even close to 50K a year. Hyundai in the states had some leasing deal with Uber if I remember correctly...majority of Ubers I took were in Hyundais at least around Orlando.

Unfortunate the NDP fell right into the Liberals trap...looks like they're against Uber at this point which is going to turn away a lot of young voters.

awwwww, poor NDP.