REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:45 AM   #51
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Front facing service at brick and motor banks will be replaced with technology eventually. Only people who pay outrageous fees will get to use them like concierge service. That's just the fact of life. We don't complain when Blockbusters went out of business, or gas station attendants don't pop your hood and check your oil or you need to call you cable company to subscribe to channels. It is a dying line of employment. It is sure cushy but I am not sure it is any more taxing (unless you are being robbed) vs other jobs say stocking shelves at Superstore, those people have some skills and speed.

Basically it is moving from a salaried position to a commission like position.

Everyone who has a bank account is an entry in a database and has been mined to dealth. You get the same offers when you are doing your online banking. The difference is you get real blood pumping tellers telling you the same thing, they get extra bonus if you select yes. Honestly the tellers can choose to not offer the options, you just don't get the performance bonus!

I am a TD customer mainly due to CIPF protection and I like to give my accountants headaches by having accounts at different banks. I don't find their service any better or worse than the Big 5.. their fees are average, that's to be expected in an oligopoly. I would say credit unions etc are good if you are just saving but any more sophisticated like investing.. their fees are outrageous.

In the end, banking is not as sticky as a business as it used to be, to me it sounds like the tellers are wistfully look at the days long past.

Welcome to the reality where the non doctor / lawyer "prestigious" jobs are no longer secure or well paying.. Remember Clergy, plumbing and picking up poop (dogs or old people) are the most secure.

Must be a slow news cycle for CBC.
Advertisement

Last edited by godwin; 03-10-2017 at 06:33 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #52
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

We do it because our jobs are at stake': TD bank employees admit to breaking the law for fear of being fired

More bad news coming out
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2017, 09:22 AM   #53
Need my Daily Fix of RS

This thread came to mind when I went to TD yesterday. I get US cheques from Ebates and every 3 months and I need to go to the teller to deposit the cheque as it is in USD and for some reason they can't accept the deposit in the machine.

I literally just want to deposit the cheque and would assume this would take 5 mins tops.

The CSR first messed up by inserting the cheque wrong into their machine and it pretty much crumbled and ripped the cheque in half. Fair enough, these things happen and I'm not gonna make a big deal out of it.

After that she finally deposits the cheque and asks me if I have any other transactions. I don't so I would assume that I can just go.

She proceeds to try and upsell me on a savings account, credit card, line of credit, and overdraft protection. When I told her I had all of these elsewhere and wasn't interested she still continued on trying to get me to open all these accounts explaining the "benefits" of having them.

What should really take 5 mins took 25. I almost expect this every time I go to the teller now unless its a person I know.
h0pz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #54
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Waiting for report that TD went full-Wells Fargo.

And so it begins...
Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Ok, so you're getting pressure from your company to make sales and you're scared you might lose your job if you don't. If you decide to do something illegal because of that isn't that still on you? Maybe you're not cut out for that kind of work then, find another career?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #56
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Ok, so you're getting pressure from your company to make sales and you're scared you might lose your job if you don't. If you decide to do something illegal because of that isn't that still on you? Maybe you're not cut out for that kind of work then, find another career?
Taking the moral high ground, quitting or whistle-blowing, aren't easy choices to make for an increasing number of people living paycheque to paycheque. Employers know this and will exploit it.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #57
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I think it depends on how realistic are those goals and likelihood of losing your job. If the usual acceptance is 10%... it would be very unrealistic to have it at 25%. And if TD tends to cut staff who can't make the goal... say at 60%... I find actions from employees reasonable.

Remember, in law, it's all about the source rather than the act itself. If you were to hire a hitman to kill someone, the maximum penalty lies with you rather than the hitman.

In this case, TD should be bearing the most of the responsibilities. It's basically Well's Fargo, Canadian edition.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #58
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Taking the moral high ground, quitting or whistle-blowing, aren't easy choices to make for an increasing number of people living paycheque to paycheque. And employers know this and will exploit it.
For sure, but it's no different than lots of other jobs out there, if you don't perform you lose your job. Perhaps this is a job that didn't use to be this way, but it's headed that direction. Chances are if you're doing illegal shit to pump up your numbers your days are numbered at that job anyways and you're working on borrowed time.

The people I would feel bad for are those who are in their late 40s or 50s and suddenly the job they knew has changed and it's in jeopardy because of the new way of business.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #59
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank...blic-1.4023575

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote