REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Selling a JDM car to the US

Has anyone here done it? The car is well over 25 years old but since this is as new to the US as it was to Canada 10 years ago most US buyers have no clue how to go about it.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Curious about this process as well.

Would be great to hear from someone who has sold their JDM Skyline or other car to a US buyer.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Uncle Sam has a handy page here.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Why not just get the buyer to meet at your friendly ICBC place, transfer the title and let buyer take care of it when the buyer returns to the States?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #4

Primarily because US buyers have no clue how to get a car down there, so they're paying importers absurd amounts of money for cars. Basically the same thing that was happening here 10 years ago, except without the ocean or language barrier.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #5

PS also wants to give a heads up to your Buyer that JDM car is subject to 2.5% duty when it enters the states.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #6

With the climate like today.. if the importer intends this to be an ongoing business, the importer better have a green card and have incorporated everything. Canada and US have started to reciprocate border information.

That way you can take advantage of cheaper storage in the States. I know a few "few men shop opererations" in Ontario, that does the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Primarily because US buyers have no clue how to get a car down there, so they're paying importers absurd amounts of money for cars. Basically the same thing that was happening here 10 years ago, except without the ocean or language barrier.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
going to agree with godwin.

go to icbc, transfer car, let US citizen deal with the rest.

Why are you going to do all the work for some random person, find out all the information, waste all your time, only for the seller to back out of the sale because of x or y.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
PS also wants to give a heads up to your Buyer that JDM car is subject to 2.5% duty when it enters the states.
That is correct. Americans pay 2.5 % duty on cars from Canada unless it can be proven it was originally from the USA.

It would be great if buyers did their own research but people are lazy. If you want to sell to Americans you need be able to answer questions and explain the process.

I sold my 993 to a buyer who flew here from Oregon and drove it home. Perhaps it's the same process. My buyer paid for a pre purchase inspection prior to purchasing the car. (PPI)

1. Buyer sends deposit via international wire transfer in currency of your choice. (Can take 2-3 business days to clear.)
2. Buyer takes a flight to pickup the car or organizes shipping. In my case the buyer took a flight then a ferry to Victoria.
3. Pick up buyer at airport / ferry etc
4. Show car to the buyer.
5. Receive balance of funds. Cash? Draft? Wire? This part is tricky. I accepted a draft in CAD funds for agreed upon amount. I spoke to the bank on the phone while the draft was being purchased a few weeks prior.
6. Drive to ICBC insurance agent.
7. Complete transfer form and sign registration and tear off and give to buyer. Buyer purchases trip permit to drive legally in BC on their way to the USA. Buyer can coordinate their own insurance in the USA if desired.
8. Remove plates, provide all receipts, spare parts and wave good bye.
9. Receive call from US Border Patrol confirming you sold a car to a US buyer and the sale price

One other note. Your JDM car must be 25 years old down the month. If you don't have proof of the manufacture date then you go by the first date of registration in Japan. In my case my Supra is February 1994 = legal for export February 1st 2019.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 03-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-09-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

^ thanks for all the info! My cars door sticker shows it was manufactured October 1991 so it's good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Why are you going to do all the work for some random person, find out all the information, waste all your time, only for the seller to back out of the sale because of x or y.
Three reasons, 1) it's not much work to send them the link godwin posted that tells them what they need to do 2) the US has a much larger market, so higher probability of selling a rare vehicle 3) right now Americans are paying more in USD than cars are selling for in CAD up here. If I can get twice as much for my car by sending a few people a link I will.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by: