REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Used Motor Oil (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711926-used-motor-oil.html)

Expresso 03-13-2017 03:54 PM

Used Motor Oil

Can anyone recommend some places in Vancouver where they have recently gone to dump used motor oil?

Went to 3 places on the weekend with no success.

Thanks.

Spectre_Cdn 03-13-2017 03:58 PM

I usually drop it off on the cart at Canadian Tire, outside of the garage.

The Producer 03-13-2017 04:16 PM

^^ can't go to CT anymore

the list is here:

Recyclepedia - Search | Recycling Council of British Columbia

IMASA 03-13-2017 05:10 PM

When CT stop accepting oil? I just dumped off like 8L 2 weeks ago at the Richmond Steveston Hwy location.

Edit: According to the link above, CT at Steveston Hwy still takes oil.
Sorry, OP said Vancouver, my bad.

SSM_DC5 03-13-2017 05:27 PM

CT at Grandview stopped. They took away the cart and made a big ghetto sign that's says "no oil"

k3mps 03-13-2017 09:39 PM

Burnaby eco-center takes used oil

narfy 03-13-2017 09:59 PM

back when recycling companies would purchase used oil from places such as CT, etc, it used to work in their favour to accept and recycle it for you. now used oil isn't worth much and places sometimes have to pay someone to empty their waste tanks.

if it's not a lot of oil, and the containers are clean and don't leak, you can drop it off at my shop. i'll take it and recycle it for you.

underscore 03-13-2017 10:06 PM

I could've sworn any place that sold oil had to accept used oil. That may have changed though.

Hcoreposer 03-13-2017 10:35 PM

Pretty sure Canadian tire on Marine and Ontario St is still accepting. Went by there a few days ago.

Expresso 03-14-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hcoreposer (Post 8828979)
Pretty sure Canadian tire on Marine and Ontario St is still accepting. Went by there a few days ago.

Dropping off and 'Went by' are totally different...That was the first place I went to and No they don't accept. The list for Vancouver isn't up to date either. FYI Dueck no longer accepts as well.

Thanks for the offer Narfy, I'll just drop it off at the Burnaby Eco Centre. I can't say all the containers are super clean.

320icar 03-14-2017 03:33 PM

Go to any quick lube place like mr. Lube, they all take used oil

vantrip 03-14-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8829156)

correct, done this many times and they have no problem ppl dumping oil there

Traum 03-14-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8829156)

Do they only take them during business hours? or do they handle it like how Crappy Tire used to, and just leave a cart out for people to put them there, including during the afterhours?

jde100 03-15-2017 06:37 AM

Canadian tire on marine by the right side of their garage has a cart where you can place old bottles of oil

Expresso 03-15-2017 07:24 AM

It's like people don't read anymore.

I already said no they don't...

underscore 03-15-2017 07:42 AM

Looks like I was wrong, that's a law in other provinces but not here from the sounds of it.

This site lets you search for the nearest facility that accepts oil though: Return Collection Facilities

orgasm_donor 03-15-2017 08:02 PM

From what I've heard is that the reason CT doesn't take oil anymore is because they got fined big time when they tried to return 'tainted' oil. Not sure what the contaminant was but it was bad enough to ruin oil returning for everybody. Lame.

RRxtar 03-15-2017 08:14 PM

i thought i posted in here but i guess i didnt

the reason theres hardly anyone who takes used oil compared to years ago is that when oil cost over $100/barrel to pump out of the ground, it was cheaper to recycle used oil. so oil recyclers used to pay everyone (lube places, canadian tire, dealerships, etc) quite a bit for their oil. now that has flipped and places actually need to pay to have oil taken away.

it seems silly that we pay a recycling or eco fee up front, and now can hardly get rid of the used oil.

AzNightmare 04-02-2017 11:34 PM

So is it confirmed Mr.Lube will take it? I have three 4L milk jugs full of oil I need to get rid of. I went to CT on Ontario and Marine Dr today and they told me they don't take oil anymore, as stated in earlier posts.

!Aznboi128 04-03-2017 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 8832936)
So is it confirmed Mr.Lube will take it? I have three 4L milk jugs full of oil I need to get rid of. I went to CT on Ontario and Marine Dr today and they told me they don't take oil anymore, as stated in earlier posts.

Recyclepedia - Results | Recycling Council of British Columbia

a few spots in vancouver

77civic1200 04-03-2017 07:46 AM

Everywhere takes used oil, if you drop it off after hours... :pokerface:

Indy 04-03-2017 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77civic1200 (Post 8832960)
Everywhere takes used oil, if you drop it off after hours... :pokerface:

dad? is that you? lol

My dad totally did this a few weeks ago. I gave him an earful. At least when I went back to check the site the place he dropped it off at does accept used oil.

Anybody know if I can mix the fluids? I've got motor oil and brake fluid, can I just pour the brake fluid in with the motor oil?

thumper 04-03-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 8832964)
Anybody know if I can mix the fluids? I've got motor oil and brake fluid, can I just pour the brake fluid in with the motor oil?

i was told not to because it will be considered contaminated and recyclers will not take it for the reason orgasm donor mentioned above:

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor (Post 8829455)
From what I've heard is that the reason CT doesn't take oil anymore is because they got fined big time when they tried to return 'tainted' oil. Not sure what the contaminant was but it was bad enough to ruin oil returning for everybody. Lame.

Indy 04-03-2017 09:51 AM

what threw me off was this question in the FAQ on bcusedoil.com

Quote:

Which used oil products can be recycled?

Oil – any petroleum or synthetic crankcase oil, engine oil, hydraulic fluid, transmission fluid, gear oil, heat transfer fluid or other fluid used for lubricating purposes in machinery or equipment.

Source: FAQ ? BCUOMA
I wasn't sure if the brake fluid was considered "hydraulic fluid" or not.

thumper 04-03-2017 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 8832984)
what threw me off was this question in the FAQ on bcusedoil.com

I wasn't sure if the brake fluid was considered "hydraulic fluid" or not.

yeah i know, but from what you posted above, i think this answers it:

Quote:

"fluid used for lubricating purposes"
unless i'm completely wrong and brake fluid is considered to be a lubricant :confused: