REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
West End families seeing huge increases in rent thanks to loophole

Came across this in the news today which seems like an interesting situation:
Landlord using loophole to request rent hikes of up to 43% | CTV Vancouver News

cliffs:
- tenants living in building periodically see rent increase 2% per year
- year over year particular building sees an increased assessment up by almost $1mil to $4.91 million (approx 25%)
- landlord uses loophole on some tenants to increase rent by more than 2% (some folks seeing 43% increase)
- people mad they can no longer afford to rent in west end

Who do you deem to be correct in this situation? Whats your stance?

In one case we see landlord wanting to increase their revenue + pay property tax that comes with such a high assessment. People who have lived their for years have only seen a 2% increase of rent which probably hasn't equated to increase in all other costs. On the flip we have the moral high ground where people now cannot live here because of such a significant increase.
Advertisement

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Does the increase make it significantly more expensive than other similar rental properties? If it just brings it up to current pricing, then I'm okay with that. It's not cheap to live downtown, and it's not getting any cheaper. It's not like it's low-income housing or anything. The area looks pretty nice, and less than 2 blocks to the beach.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
I don't get it

I think that this is just gentrification happening in some of the nicer parts of Vancouver and that all comes with a cost. Although this seems to happen in the more middle to higher class neighbourhoods, im not saying that this doesn't happen everywhere. With rising housing costs in vancouver, with being one of the most livable cities in Canada, I expect this just to keep on continuing unless we set laws or guidelines to protect the exploitation or constant change of rapidly increasing housing costs like this.
604dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post

Who do you deem to be correct in this situation? Whats your stance?
Easy.. let the Tenancy branch's dispute resolution do its job and wait for the outcome. Rules are rules..

Dispute Resolution - Province of British Columbia
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Get one thing straight with this story.

The landlords are only applying to increase rents. Nothing has been implemented yet.

It's not a loophole. There are special ways per the RTA that rent increases beyond the standard amounts. To do this, it has to be approved by the Tenancy Board first.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #6

Exactly.. the tenants should have thought strategically.. I won't be surprised that now the relationship between the landlord and tenants have soured that they get reno-victed etc in the near future.

Bringing in the press before the process had ran its course has pretty much sealed their fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Get one thing straight with this story.

The landlords are only applying to increase rents. Nothing has been implemented yet.

It's not a loophole. There are special ways per the RTA that rent increases beyond the standard amounts. To do this, it has to be approved by the Tenancy Board first.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #7

Oh I would bet the original owners of the holding company had passed on and the next generation who are more financial savvy did the math and went for the increase.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
For my rentals I just get the tenants to sign a lease every year so I can set the price every year for whatever I want. How bow dah
Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #9
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
For my rentals I just get the tenants to sign a lease every year so I can set the price every year for whatever I want. How bow dah
Can you elaborate on this?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Can you elaborate on this?
If you have a fixed term lease with the lease ending in evacuation of the suite or whatever the terminology is, you can renegotiate with the current tenant as you would someone new who you advertise for as their lease is up.

At least that's how I think it works
Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

yup 1 year term, must leave after 1 year period is up....if they choose to rent again at a higher rate then that's up to them

don't do year to year because then you can only up it 2% or same on multi year rentals
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #12
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
on a tenancy agreement with a 1 year term you can select at the end of the term it automatically switches over to month to month, or you can select tenant must move out. which you can obviously renew prior to the end of the term.

its also a great way to boot out shit tenants. you might be stuck with them for a year, but you can at least get rid of them.

infact, if you follow proper procedures during the rental process, you can cover yourself fairly well to have the law in your favor not the tenant
Old 03-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Does the increase make it significantly more expensive than other similar rental properties? If it just brings it up to current pricing, then I'm okay with that. It's not cheap to live downtown, and it's not getting any cheaper. It's not like it's low-income housing or anything. The area looks pretty nice, and less than 2 blocks to the beach.
From what i've heard the increase will bring the rental rates up to par with the rest of the area (I haven't seen any docs or anything, just what i've heard) If that's the case I don't have a problem with it.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
From what i've heard the increase will bring the rental rates up to par with the rest of the area (I haven't seen any docs or anything, just what i've heard) If that's the case I don't have a problem with it.
its a fairly simple process to goto arbitration to increase above the the standard allowable rent increase (for 2017 is 3.7%. it fluctuates between about 2 and 4.5% per year). you can bring up the rent to market average, or increase based on your costs going up (property taxes, utilities, etc)
Old 03-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #15
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
If the rent is below market value because the ppl that live there have lived there for years and years I see justify why the landlord wants to increase to the market rate. I mean if the market rate for current rent is 30% higher than what the landlord is getting than yea increase it.

Can't afford to rent in Van. Move. Is as simple as that. The landlord owes you nothing they can increase the price all they want.

I am all in for free market in terms of renting. If the rent is too high then on one will rent it. if the price is too low than you got a deal.

RTA should have more protection for landlord. I mean when I rented out my apartment years ago. It took months to evict a tenant who didn't pay rent. Basically she paid one month rent and live there for a good 4 months. If she didn't pay I as a landlord should be able to legally remove her my place right away. The whole process sucks and while she is living there free loading off me I still have to pay for the cable/internet, utilities since I included them.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
If you decide to become a lifelong renter, you better have a long term plan for your security. The majority of them are older. Barring any disabilities, they could have easily bought a condo at some point during their adult lives. This would have provided them with housing security.

Now, they are at the mercy of the RTB and the landlord. Thems the breaks in life.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #17

I'm usually in favour of landlord rights but this is a harsh group here.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #18
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
Sounds all fine and dandy until they string you along, destroy your property and squat until your court order and bailiff kicks them out.

They have so much excuses and rights rendering your contract useless. How bow dah.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #19
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Sounds all fine and dandy until they string you along, destroy your property and squat until your court order and bailiff kicks them out.

They have so much excuses and rights rendering your contract useless. How bow dah.
That's what happen to me. And from that point on I basically do credit checks and even stalk them on social media, search their name on google to see if I ran into any red flags.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post

If someone fucked me over hard enough on a rental property you'd better beleive they would be regretting it shortly after.

Not trying to be dat e-thug but people get hurt over a few hundred all the time, if someone cost me a few thousand plus I'd be going out of my way to destroy them.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #21
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
I'm usually in favour of landlord rights but this is a harsh group here.
I thinks it's just because too many people (ie. renters) feel entitled nowadays. If the owners has given you the benefit of low rent and property values have now sky rocketed, don't be but hurt when the rent increases along with his rising costs. (property taxes, garbage & sewer, hydro, etc...) If you can't afford the rent maybe you should look for an area where it's affordable relative to your income. No sympathy for someone living in the West end complaining about rent increases.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #22

That's what I don't really get about some people and their living situation

Some of the losers my fiances sister associates with live in east/south van paying $800-$1000 for basically a room in a house when you've got a school aged child

Go live somewhere where you can actually establish a half decent life not share a ducking bed with your child in a room in a house with 8 other people, it's gross.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #23

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If someone fucked me over hard enough on a rental property you'd better beleive they would be regretting it shortly after.

Not trying to be dat e-thug but people get hurt over a few hundred all the time, if someone cost me a few thousand plus I'd be going out of my way to destroy them.
It's hard to win when dealing with trash that have nothing to lose. Yeah you could do something to them, but they know where you live and I'd personally be worried about my property getting fucked with after.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604STIG View Post
I thinks it's just because too many people (ie. renters) feel entitled nowadays. If the owners has given you the benefit of low rent and property values have now sky rocketed, don't be but hurt when the rent increases along with his rising costs. (property taxes, garbage & sewer, hydro, etc...) If you can't afford the rent maybe you should look for an area where it's affordable relative to your income. No sympathy for someone living in the West end complaining about rent increases.
Yeah if you want some stability , you gotta put on the big boy pants and buy something.

Of course then those are probably the same people that will push the whole "Renting gives me freedom, you're not tied down to an asset with as much risk if you lose your job, blah blah blah" etc...

I'm sorry renters, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Mind you, there's no guarantee to stable interest rates even if you buy something, so these people simply want to be exempt from the effects simple economics that everyone else faces.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2017, 10:30 AM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
The risks of long-term renting have not adequately been discussed in financial blogs and forums, while the risks of home ownership have been overblown.

Both choices come down to lifestyle. While renting is often touted as a lifestyle choice, the reality is that the majority of renters stay put and seek stability in their employment.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: