REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Can a battery be so dead it wont jumpstart? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/711974-can-battery-so-dead-wont-jumpstart.html)

geeknerd 03-17-2017 11:20 PM

Can a battery be so dead it wont jumpstart?

I went away for a few month. I have a standalond jump starter but when I connect the leads, its telling me the polarity is wrong. I used this jumper once before with no problem. wondering if the jumper is bad or if a dead battery can cause this. i would think i can still start the car with a dead battery no?

ssjGoku69 03-17-2017 11:36 PM

If your jump-start pack is working and you have the connections correct, then I don't see why it wouldn't start your car.
How old is your battery?
How are you connecting the starter to the battery? Red to Red, Black to Ground?

roastpuff 03-17-2017 11:38 PM

Yes it can get super flat and won't jump start. Have to charge it instead.

You should get a trickle charger.

godwin 03-17-2017 11:50 PM

A trickle charger won't work.. the internal resistance of the battery is probably too high. You need quite a lot of juice to overcome that.. even so, the battery is toast (it will discharge really quickly)

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8829928)
Yes it can get super flat and won't jump start. Have to charge it instead.

You should get a trickle charger.

geeknerd 03-17-2017 11:57 PM

its an 08 g35x. the battery died a year ago but this jumpstarter worked and an hour of driiving around charged the battery. now the battery seems to be completely flat, not even a dome light.

can i take it to CT to get it charged? or should i buy a new battery all together. i shouldve bought a new battery instead of the portable jump starter -.- i know 10 years is a long time for a battery but i never had a problem with it.

geeknerd 03-17-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 (Post 8829927)
If your jump-start pack is working and you have the connections correct, then I don't see why it wouldn't start your car.
How old is your battery?
How are you connecting the starter to the battery? Red to Red, Black to Ground?

red to red black to ground. the jumpstarter gives the green light if connection is good but its giving me the red(wrong polarity) light.

asian_XL 03-18-2017 12:05 AM

you have a multimeter to see the voltage? or if you have another car, simply just bring the battery to somewhere has a battery AC charger

Presto 03-18-2017 12:21 AM

Battery is done. It's 10 years old. Lead-acid is not friendly towards being deep discharged.

cunninglinguist 03-18-2017 07:07 AM

Some jump starters won't jump a battery if it's really low for safety reasons but will have a manual override option to allow it. That's how it is on my NOCO.

jump to 3m23s

underscore 03-18-2017 07:39 AM

I've had two batteries that were this dead. One in my dirtbike that I couldn't even kick or bomb start it (not fun in July in full gear), and one in my Jeep that we couldn't even jump with another car. For how cheap a battery is it's not worth trashing you alternator trying to delay the inevitable.

Berzerker 03-18-2017 09:56 AM

If it's that old and was dead for that long, it's toast. Even under normal conditions if you deep cycle a normal battery a couple times it's never going to be the same.

Berz out.

jeedee 03-18-2017 10:16 AM

it's time to get a new battery OP lol

roastpuff 03-18-2017 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8829932)
A trickle charger won't work.. the internal resistance of the battery is probably too high. You need quite a lot of juice to overcome that.. even so, the battery is toast (it will discharge really quickly)

I meant in the future so it wouldn't drain like that. If OP is only going to drive the car for a few months at a time it helps to avoid this issue reoccurring.

kross9 03-18-2017 11:45 AM

Batteries typically last 6-8 years, definitely replace and purchase a SMART trickle charger if you plan on going away again.

Benefit for the smart charges is they wont over charge the battery and only keep it to a optimal 12.6v

fliptuner 03-18-2017 11:46 AM

If the battery is completely flat, part of the reason it won't start is cause you're jumping the battery and the car. Plus you'll​ have more draw since the car hasn't run in a while.

geeknerd 03-18-2017 11:52 AM

hmmm... best place to buy a battery? costco?

dvst8 03-18-2017 12:42 PM

Costco has good battery warranty if you're not looking for anything fancy. Haven't heard anything bad about them.

geeknerd 03-18-2017 01:15 PM

does costco only sell kirkland battery? what are some reputable brands? dont know much about the battery world.

kross9 03-18-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 8829997)
does costco only sell kirkland battery? what are some reputable brands? dont know much about the battery world.

Most batteries all come out of the same factory to be stickered differently..

unless you go to a higher brand. Price-point and warranty should be what you look for!

Fafine 03-18-2017 01:49 PM

polar battery on boundary

fliptuner 03-18-2017 02:09 PM

+1 Costco

Bender Unit 03-18-2017 02:32 PM

+2 Costco

3Years warranty
Return it every 2.5years, buy a new one
You won't have to buy another battery again :troll: for life

flagella 03-18-2017 02:49 PM

Seriously, if you have Costco membership and they carry your battery model, just buy it.

SSM_DC5 03-18-2017 02:56 PM

If you don't want an AGM battery, go with Costco.
I have both types in various cars, still going strong after multiple years of use.

coneZONE 03-18-2017 06:14 PM

If you don't have a Costco membership, the batteries at Canadian Tire are pretty decent now. You would see many failures and leakage from the old supplier Exide.
Since then, they've switched to a new supplier for about a year now, East Penn, who also supplies the batteries for many dealerships, like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. They also have AGM batteries. You rarely see people warranty the current batteries