REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Will cars/motorcycles ever be sold online?

I was wondering if that's possible.
Would cars be a lot cheaper?

Right now, they have to spend multi million (usually 8 figure $) just to set up a showroom. Maintenance fees, hydro, lease/rent of land(if applicable) and all the other business incidental costs.

The huge labor cost to sell you a car, sales person, sales manager, accountant, receptionist, etc.

What if you could buy your cars/motorcycles straight from manufacture?

For example, can they keep their vehicles in a huge warehouse and they can ship them after they receive order from customers.

I just wonder why it's never been done in this e-commerce world, I'm sure this kind of idea isn't anything new.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=10677469011 - We're just a couple of steps away from that world. We have to break down franchise laws but like the taxi monopoly I can't see it holding up much longer.

Going to the Apple Store/Tesla dealer model seems far too obvious and should reduce costs a lot and make the buying experience dramatically better.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=10677469011 - We're just a couple of steps away from that world. We have to break down franchise laws but like the taxi monopoly I can't see it holding up much longer.

Going to the Apple Store/Tesla dealer model seems far too obvious and should reduce costs a lot and make the buying experience dramatically better.
wow I didn't know about Amazon

but yea, once you walk into the car dealers, you can tell that they spend A LOT of money to decorate the showroom, managers office, reception area, coffee area, TVs, kids area, build a huge lot and buildings, etc...

I just wanted to know how much cars/motorcycles would be if we could buy them straight from the warehouse.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
The only way I'd buy a car online is if they still had a brick and mortar showroom that I could see and test drive the cars.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Car sales people, real estate agents, whatever the fuck else middlemen you can think of will be obsolete in a world that's becoming ever more transparent with access to all the data. They are still here to cater to a previous generation who are less tech savvy and seek advice from an actual human. The irony is probably they are more often getting ripped off vs. benefiting from it.

I personally can't wait for these positions to disappear, just like how stockbrokers have disappeared since oftentimes they are just a bunch of parasites leeching off of people's money. Think about it, when was the last time you got any value out of your car salesman or real estate agent? And for real estate agent, did you get any value out of him/her because he/she had sophisticated analytical ability that you didn't have? Or simply certain information was only available to them?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,920 Times in 3,876 Posts
You'd still need dealerships to perform service and warranty work, and I'd wager that what makes most of the dealers profits and pays for the showroom, receptionist, etc. Pricing needs to stay quite competitive on the initial sales of vehicles, but dealers always hose you on part and labour pricing.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
You can order a Tesla online without talking to a salesperson. The salesperson takes no commission. The dealers just deliver the car. The charger is mailed to your house though.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
ebaymotors
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
ebaymotors
Ebay is no different than dealers posting their ads on Auto Trader & Craigslist

I was talking about consumers getting their cars straight from manufactures
Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
When I bought my wife's car I emailed an offer and finalized it over the phone. I went in later that day and signed the papers not much dealing with the dealership at all. I'd say we're not far away.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Once an online automation system comes into place, it won't reduce prices, it will just cut some overhead to increase profits. I could see the prices dropping initially to gain traction in the marketplace but those prices won't last.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current

IG: G_SPYDER91
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Theres probably going to be some $500-1000 online environmental fee.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 PM   #13

How the Genesis online buying experience is disrupting the car industry
by , JAMES CARELESS | MARCH 27, 2017

Sponsored Content: How the Genesis online buying experience is disrupting the car industry | Driving

In 2016, consumers bought $1.915 trillion ($1915 billion) worth of products online, said the data website http://www.statista.com. In fact, Canadians consistently outpace other developed nations when it comes to shopping online. Given this demand, it makes sense for Genesis Motors Canada to sell its G80 and G90 luxury performance sedans on the internet.

Canadian luxury car aficionados can configure and buy the G80 or G90 of their dreams online at http://www.genesis.ca. The selection process is simple: The buyer simply choses their preferred exterior colour, interior trim, and high performance V6 or V8 engine; because absolutely everything else that is available on the G80 and G90 comes standard.

In keeping with e-commerce best practices, pre-HST prices for each of these Genesis sedans are clearly spelled out on the web site. “We offer a completely no-hassle, no hidden fees sales approach, where the price you see online is the one you pay – period,” said Chad Heard, senior manager of public relations with Genesis Motors Canada. “Our online pricing is simple, clear, and honest. And we even included five years’ of scheduled maintenance in the price.”

Genesis’ commitment to the e-commerce user experience continues with its approach to financing. The website is able to help buyers arrange financing and finalize paperwork through their web browsers. Customers can do it all on their smartphone, in fact. Then, once the online sale has been finalized, Genesis will deliver their new G80 or G90 directly to them.

The Genesis online sales experience promises prospective car buyers an experience closer to their expectations when buying nearly anything else: a relaxed, low-pressure process that moves at their pace in the comfort of their own home.
In addition, purchasers can do more online at http://www.genesis.ca than just buy a car: Genesis Motors Canada has made it possible to book a test drive online. After the booking has been confirmed, a Genesis staff member will bring either a G80 or G90 directly to the user’s home to try it out.

After-sales service appointments for the G80 or G90 can also be booked at http://www.genesis.ca. “Once you buy a G80 or G90, our people will come to your home to pick it up for scheduled maintenance for the first five years or 100,000 kilometres of ownership,” said Heard. “We’ll bring it back too; all serviced and ready to drive.”

The Genesis online sales experience is an innovative approach to car buying that suits the brand’s approach to luxury class automotive. For a brand built on a principle of respect for the consumer, it is a natural extension to offer this convenient approach to prospective owners.

The Genesis online buying experience is also in line with the way today’s web-savvy consumers want to buy cars, according to a survey of 10,000 car buyers worldwide by the consulting firm Accenture. They found that 53 percent of buyers would consider buying a new car online, and that 16 percent have already done so.

68 percent also said that free oil changes and maintenance would influence their purchase of a new car; a point Genesis already has covered in the five years/100,000 km scheduled maintenance that is included in the price of a new G80 or G90.

The trend towards online shopping is not new, especially in Canada, but there are still some industries that are slow to adapt to changing consumer expectations. With Genesis Motors Canada’s online buying experience, the automotive industry is taking nascent steps into a digital world that affords its customers a better, more catered experience.

This story was created by Content Works, Postmedia’s commercial content division, on behalf of Genesis.