REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #26
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

how about use the damn money and put some god damn reflectors on our road?
Its absolutely mind boggling driving down here, when we get 9 months of rain thru out the year. You take a drive down to seattle, and you will notice they get spammed with reflectors and reflective lines.

Go figure
Advertisement

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM   #27
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
^i think this all the time

worst time was when there was a lot of hwy construction near the old port mann and the lines were all over the place. they had temporary lines, old lines, and barriers that all added to the confusion, and to top it off a few sharp turns on the highway! when it rained i can't tell you how many times i saw cars almost come to a complete stop because they were heading for the barriers.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Use the 840 million to fix the damn roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHP 1 View Post
how about use the damn money and put some god damn reflectors on our road?
Are you really suggesting fixing slightly imperfect roads should be a priority over humanitarian efforts? You do realize these are national funds right? Do you think people from Ontario would be keen on paying to fix roads in BC? And have you seen the cost of roadwork? 840M won't get you very much.

If you want to combine humanitarian aid and roadwork then send the money to Saskatchewan, their roads look like they're from some third world country that just got bombed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #29
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,709 Times in 3,133 Posts
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:33 PM   #30
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
You can't help people who don't want help.
No you can't.

But how about we spend the money on hospital facilities, roads (which unfortunately are owned by Translink), police departments, city funding, firefighters, school funding, community centres?

Would you feed somebody else's kids before you fed yours?

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #31
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
No you can't.

But how about we spend the money on hospital facilities, roads (which unfortunately are owned by Translink), police departments, city funding, firefighters, school funding, community centres?

Would you feed somebody else's kids before you fed yours?
If the other kid is starving and about to fucking die, then yes I would feed there kid first. WTF. What you're not getting is that my kid is doing okay while there kids Haven't eaten for weeks. Jesus Christ

Edit - a lot of you guys really need to open your eyes a bit here. You are taking for granted everything in your life right now. Tomorrow you wake up, it's sunny (or raining),, you eat breakfast, go to work, hang out with friends after, sleep under a roof in your comfy bed that has clean water, heat and electricty.

They wake up most likely having a bomb dropping through there roof or chemicals in the air killing you and all your family members..

Last edited by kr4l; 04-11-2017 at 02:48 PM.
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Seriously, the west should stop sticking their nose into Syria like they own damn world. Whatever is happening in that part of the country has nothing to do with us. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad and sympathetic for those people, but it's a problem nobody can solve.

How much you wanna bet that that $840 million will not solve a damn thing. In the next 5 - 10 years, we'll still see shit happening over there. Even if it's not in Syria, something else, somewhere else, will start.

Aside from that, there is roughly 35 million people in all of Canada. We surely can use a million or two each out of that $840, and they will still have money left over for other shit.

I don't know what the fuck this country is coming to.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #33
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
We got a fucking hippy in office lol fuck

I'm not against helping out third world countries but 480 million is excessive. US only gave about half.

Get ready for higher taxes thanks to the Federal Liberals.
So the value is about the same right?

RIP Canadian dollar
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Seriously, the west should stop sticking their nose into Syria like they own damn world. Whatever is happening in that part of the country has nothing to do with us. Don't get me wrong, I feel bad and sympathetic for those people, but it's a problem nobody can solve.

How much you wanna bet that that $840 million will not solve a damn thing. In the next 5 - 10 years, we'll still see shit happening over there. Even if it's not in Syria, something else, somewhere else, will start.

Aside from that, there is roughly 35 million people in all of Canada. We surely can use a million or two each out of that $840, and they will still have money left over for other shit.

I don't know what the fuck this country is coming to.
The math definitely checks out there!
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
The math definitely checks out there!
Didn't you know we're giving Syria $840 quadrillion?
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #36

We currently have the worst refugee crisis in human history -- yes worse than the aftermath of WW2. If the west doesn't help stabilize Syria which contributes a lot to the refugee crisis then expect more and more refugees flooding into western countries in the next decade.

Also, not that it matters but things like this is why when Canadians travel abroad we're always met with kindness and respect.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The KingMachine View Post
How do you keep track of the money in an active war zone? Who received it?
Dictators and warlords.

The US do this to fund their puppet governments. If they disobey the US, they get killed (i.e. Saddam and Iraq).
Old 04-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #38

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Prob is Syria can't be fixed with just money. Money is only going to complicate things even further. There are too many players involved and to many cultural/ethnic division in the area.

This is a good video to watch.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #39
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
We currently have the worst refugee crisis in human history -- yes worse than the aftermath of WW2. If the west doesn't help stabilize Syria which contributes a lot to the refugee crisis then expect more and more refugees flooding into western countries in the next decade.

Also, not that it matters but things like this is why when Canadians travel abroad we're always met with kindness and respect.
Sadly, it's most likely that the nationalists will never leave North America.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #40
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:

i'd be all for helping to stabilize syria if we didn't have a "UN Ally" backing the Assad regime in the Russian Federation.

Give 800 million to Syria, start rebuilding infrastructure and support facilities, have Russian backed fighters destroy/dismantle infrastructure we paid for.

I think we should focus on Political ties and actually addressing the root of the problem as opposed to sending funds, which frankly, who knows where they will end up.

It's like Haiti after the earthquake, how much money was sent there, for what? people are still living in shacks and tents years later, Red Cross raised half a billion dollars and built nothing. In general people are no better off than months after towns were reduced to rubble.

Syria is no different, going to prop up a pile of rubble for a few years more.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #41
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Prob is Syria can't be fixed with just money. Money is only going to complicate things even further. There are too many players involved and to many cultural/ethnic division in the area.

https://youtu.be/JFpanWNgfQY

This is a good video to watch.
if only half of the shit in this video is accurate.. it just reinforces my last post as to why the fuck we would send a dime there.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #42
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You guys do realise most of that money is used to hire Canadians and buy Canadian supplies like food etc to help over there right? eg people with Foreign Affairs get hazard pay etc. Also supplies like bandages etc are procured here and shipped there. That's where the 840million figure comes to. It is not like they are dropping buckets of cash from the air.

Most of the money are spent here and the logistics to ship over there. Consider it is a war zone.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #43

for one thing how does someone come up with the number of $840 MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS? Why so much? how does this number even been thought of? What I am trying to say is why couldn't it be $10 mill, or $30 heck if you are already at $840 mill why not just give them 1billion I mean your practically already there....fuck trudeau!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #44
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Because sending help to war zone is expensive..per person you can easily run $1000+ / hour (think again hazard pay and security). A medivac can easily end up $100k each. Just an ER doctor who accompany a patient on a medivac flight from SEA to YVR get pay thousands of $ per hour. Then you have practical things like decontamination gear etc.

Honestly the cost doesn't faze me, however I am curious how they can get the help there without causing problems or caught in the cross fire. Most of the money has already been squirreled away already, it is not like we can get $840mill to celebrate our 150anniversay or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
for one thing how does someone come up with the number of $840 MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS? Why so much? how does this number even been thought of? What I am trying to say is why couldn't it be $10 mill, or $30 heck if you are already at $840 mill why not just give them 1billion I mean your practically already there....fuck trudeau!

Last edited by godwin; 04-11-2017 at 05:31 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #45
HELP ME PLS!!!

Helping directly has an immediate effect to the immediate problem of starvation, homelessness due to their house being in rubbles, trying to survive in a war zone, and to top it off, having to worry about their skin being blistered off, suffocating from their lungs being inflamed because their government doesn't give a fuck.

So, the next time you want to say Canada first, compare what you got now, to what they're living through. But sure, our hospitals could be better with some millions. At least we got a hospital.

That 840 million in terms of labour and product could just as well give Canada a leg up on our high costs of health care, and social programs. Throwing money at those problems isn't the solution. It's not funds those programs are lacking, it's efficiency. Canada already pays one of the most highest costs in health care and pharmaceuticals. That's another discussion though.

As opposed to using that 840 million for aid to those we can help right now, and would mean much more.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
i'd be all for helping to stabilize syria if we didn't have a "UN Ally" backing the Assad regime in the Russian Federation.

Give 800 million to Syria, start rebuilding infrastructure and support facilities, have Russian backed fighters destroy/dismantle infrastructure we paid for.

I think we should focus on Political ties and actually addressing the root of the problem as opposed to sending funds, which frankly, who knows where they will end up.

It's like Haiti after the earthquake, how much money was sent there, for what? people are still living in shacks and tents years later, Red Cross raised half a billion dollars and built nothing. In general people are no better off than months after towns were reduced to rubble.

Syria is no different, going to prop up a pile of rubble for a few years more.
I think you're confused on what the UN is. Just because Russia is a member of the UN does not mean we're their "ally". We have a number of ongoing sanctions against Russia mainly due to Crimea and so does America.

However I understand that to solve the Syrian crisis you have to solve the Russian/Assad problem. But that's besides the point, this 800 million is to save lives not to solve a war. Also we're not sending $800 million in cash...it's going to be in Canadian equipment and personnel and likely some cash...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #47
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Because we are Canadians.

There is the premise that we have ample opportunities (in every sense of the word), whether we use them or not, living in a first-world country.

However, Syrians do not, AND are also subject to the vagaries of war.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #48
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Because sending help to war zone is expensive..per person you can easily run $1000+ / hour (think again hazard pay and security). A medivac can easily end up $100k each. Just an ER doctor who accompany a patient on a medivac flight from SEA to YVR get pay thousands of $ per hour. Then you have practical things like decontamination gear etc.

Honestly the cost doesn't faze me, however I am curious how they can get the help there without causing problems or caught in the cross fire. Most of the money has already been squirreled away already, it is not like we can get $840mill to celebrate our 150anniversay or something.
How true is this 1000+ an hour wage?

I'm willing to goto Syria on behalf of Canada for this amount of money. LOL.

I think they get help there by securing military zones for flights. That's my opinion though, it's based on zero fact. I'll let you know if I ever end up there.

Fuck this leftist, bleeding heart of mine though. Thank god I'm not the one in power.

Also, I think the reflectors on the road thing is a provincial funding problem. However, if the feds matched funds, like they did for public transit, then it would make it a lot of a heck easier to get done.

Last edited by DragonChi; 04-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #49
I am Hook'd on RS

read that as trudeau to give 840il to Syria at first sight. I need new glasses...

di-bmw_850_il-5eb4eabc1a24be689300d04f6b92aa20.jpeg.jpg
beebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #50

The 0.7% ODA/GNI target - a history - OECD
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote