REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
school me: making my own coffee table

it's the resident reno noob again...

so i'm wanting to build my own coffee table!

i have found the wood i'm going to use - it's untreated

questions:
1- how do i "treat" it so it wont "rot"?
2- how do i get to that store like smooth shine? I know i have to sand it and stain it using 400-500grit sand paper. Is there anything more to it than that?
3- where can one find narrow wooden legs? I found the hair pin style locally but nothing came up for "narrow round wooden legs".

the legs will be something like but narrower and round:http://ab.weimgs.com/weimgs/ab/image...ee-table-o.jpg
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
1) Assuming the coffee table is being used inside, I would stain it with a water-based stain. One, two or three coats depending on the look you want (practice on scrap bits to find your finish). Following that, I would use glossy or semi-gloss Varathane Polyurethane. 3-4 coats, depending on the finish I'm looking for.

2) I've always been told to only go to 120grit before staining. Depending on the wood, you might get some grain lift and need to sand with 120 between coats. Again, you have to practice on scrap that you've cut and worked in the same methods as your finished product to determine what your exact finishing technique will be. You only go to 120 because you need the wood to absorb the stain. On the stuff I've been doing I prefer not to sand after I stain for fear of changing the look, but up to 220. On the third coat of polyurethane the piece will start to look quite smooth, and it gets better from there.

3) Uh...you build them? That's sort of part of the fun, isn't it?
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
it's the resident reno noob again...

so i'm wanting to build my own coffee table!

i have found the wood i'm going to use - it's untreated

questions:
1- how do i "treat" it so it wont "rot"?
2- how do i get to that store like smooth shine? I know i have to sand it and stain it using 400-500grit sand paper. Is there anything more to it than that?
3- where can one find narrow wooden legs? I found the hair pin style locally but nothing came up for "narrow round wooden legs".

the legs will be something like but narrower and round:http://ab.weimgs.com/weimgs/ab/image...ee-table-o.jpg
1) You interior furniture will not rot even if you leave it unfinished
2) Don't sand with 400-500 grit on the wood, i usually do 80-160grit before applying the stain & finish. If you want a smooth finish, sand the varnish between coat. Probably need to do a final polish if you want to give it like a store bought furniture shiny finish. (and at least 4-5 coats)
3) Size and shape of the leg you want? Your best bet is to go buy a wooden spindles/post from a stair railing places. They mostly come in unfinished oak, maple or paint-grade pine/poplars. They come in round or square shape, plain or with different decorative patterns. (Spindles size are usually 1.25" - 1.75", if you want something bigger, you can use a newel post)
Spindles is only $10~ per piece, and you can probably make 2 legs with 1 piece

I made a coffee table few months ago, probably one of the easiest DIY job.
I made a box leg and put hinges on them so you get a hidden storage lol.
it was completely useless tho and the hinges made the fitment not as nice.

Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
it looks nice. I like how it blends with your floor tiles.
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
I like that hidden storage

"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,506 Times in 4,310 Posts
How is it that you have Rogers cable?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
not enough contrast between table, floor, and sofa. but looks nice regardless
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
1. Go to ikea
Old 05-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
There's so many videos on YouTube of how to do this already, all of them are step by step. Was this thread really necessary?
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #10
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
1)
I made a coffee table few months ago, probably one of the easiest DIY job.
I made a box leg and put hinges on them so you get a hidden storage lol.
it was completely useless tho and the hinges made the fitment not as nice.
Nice, what wood did you use?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:08 AM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
1) Assuming the coffee table is being used inside, I would stain it with a water-based stain. One, two or three coats depending on the look you want (practice on scrap bits to find your finish). Following that, I would use glossy or semi-gloss Varathane Polyurethane. 3-4 coats, depending on the finish I'm looking for.

2) I've always been told to only go to 120grit before staining. Depending on the wood, you might get some grain lift and need to sand with 120 between coats. Again, you have to practice on scrap that you've cut and worked in the same methods as your finished product to determine what your exact finishing technique will be. You only go to 120 because you need the wood to absorb the stain. On the stuff I've been doing I prefer not to sand after I stain for fear of changing the look, but up to 220. On the third coat of polyurethane the piece will start to look quite smooth, and it gets better from there.

3) Uh...you build them? That's sort of part of the fun, isn't it?

I haven't had to build anything other than an entire fence in my parents yard from scratch using a table saw in their back yard and before that was in shop class in high school. I've been wanting to make some stuff lately, just not sure as to what.

Last I can remember I roughly did what you said, sand using around 220ish, but then wet sanded it with 1000 grit. Was a storage chest that was also used as a coffee table in their basement and it was beyond slick. Just like Ferras table the bottom of this one has the end piece on the floor just a hair shorter and was held together with super strong magnets. it was a false bottom with a storage thats about 6" high and long enough to keep a shotgun in it. Anyone recommend that or will wet sanding give you the same outcome as staining with regularly?

Similar to this chest but it was the side trim that popped off.

Is there a place you can build something if you don't have space? I've seen some condo buildings that have a workshop attached to them but I'm looking for a place where I'd have access to a table saw, band saw, lathe, planer etc
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
How is it that you have Rogers cable?
lol, i didn't quite understand what you mean when i first read it...then i realize vancouver doesn't have rogers
I don't live in van anymore
Old 05-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed2K View Post
Nice, what wood did you use?
White oak...
btw the coffee table was completely unfinished

I sanded it with 320 to give it a very smooth slick touch
Which actually worked fine until I start using it as my dinner table infront of the TV.
Now it is all stained on the top...which wasn't a big deal since I was planning to stack another plank on top to give it a thicker look. (The leg still looks new)

Thought about staining it too, but couldnt' find a color I like.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I was trying to replace my $20 ikea table with something a little better looking and everything was incredibly expensive. Anything I wanted was $200+

Decided to try my hand at making my own. All in cost was maybe $40 for wood and stain and $70 for the hairpin legs.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Its not perfectly flat and even but thats exactly what I was looking for. I believe it was stained twice and maybe 3-4 coats of some sort of acrylic poly whatever (I should probably remember what I used exactly if I want to do this more).

Side table to match is going to be made very soon.

Last edited by radioman; 05-02-2017 at 08:58 AM.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
White oak...

Thought about staining it too, but couldnt' find a color I like.
Water-based clear stain is actually clear. Oil based yellows slightly...all oil based clear stains will yellow slightly.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 AM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
I was trying to replace my $20 ikea table with something a little better looking and everything was incredibly expensive. Anything I wanted was $200+

Decided to try my hand at making my own. All in cost was maybe $40 for wood and stain and $70 for the hairpin legs.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Its not perfectly flat and even but thats exactly what I was looking for. I believe it was stained twice and maybe 3-4 coats of some sort of acrylic poly whatever (I should probably remember what I used exactly if I want to do this more).

Side table to match is going to be made very soon.
Nice table! What kind of wood is it, where did you get it, and where did you get the legs?
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #17

I believe it was oak? Sorry I do not remember 100% but I bought it from home depot, nothing special. Got fairly square pieces but when I went I was very limited in my options.

Legs were from https://www.hairpinlegshop.com/

I believe they are based in Ontario and they were the cheapest supplier without going over the boarder. Different types of coating you can get and they are sturdy.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
i think arminds thinking about building a coffee table. should ask him how about it
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Are you sure the woods not pine?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #20

Yes pine sounds correct!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #21

Definitely looks like pine, looks nothing like oak.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #22

That was actually the hardest part about this project. I couldn't really tell which type of material I was supposed to use.

I dont recall why I chose pine but it was really easy to work with. I believe its a pretty soft week in comparison to others.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #23
God of Unce

I commissioned someone to make mine which consists of english walnut live edge, cracks within the wood filled with black resin, and metal square legs coated in matte black.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #24

Until I bought my house, I had zero skill with wood. Building the workbench in my old shop, I was the guy splitting the wood with every screw, even when I pre-drilled the holes. After renovating the shop at my new place, though, I decided to up my game. Just like working on cars, it takes a bit of patience and planning/reading before you start.

Made the bedroom furniture for my guest room:

It's all made from dimensional spruce (2x4, 2x6, 1x3, etc) which I've trimmed to be square on the table saw, to get rid of the dimensional-lumber-look.

I've also made some live edge shelves for the opposite wall...but don't seem to have any photos posted of them. Gearing up for doing my own live-edge dining room table this summer...
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2017, 07:59 PM   #25
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
thanks guys. very good info here.

i'm planning to stain mine this weekend. I'll be staining using TEAK OIL from home depot. As it's suppose to dry into the color i want. Anyone used this?

then apply some clear coat next weekend. Any suggestions on what the product i need to buy for this clear coat is?
How many coats can one can/jug give?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote