REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Home SOLD! - looking to buy or build....

so we sold our home of 7yrs ... just closed out last night and now i'm just deliberating on either buying another home OR building a custom one.

Reason for the custom one is that the wife has some 'nice to haves' in a home but everywhere we look we can't seem to find a house that has everything we want.... its either a nice house but crap area...or crap house in nice area...or nice house/shitty bathroom/closet space etc.

just want to get some feedback on building...i hear there are alot of scamming contractors out there....what are the steps I should take?
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
nice house/shitty bathroom/closet space etc.
why not this and reno? less unknowns and hidden expenses.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #3

^^ because the prices for these older homes are still too high.

compared to:

empty LOT: approx $525000
custom built house: approx $350000
Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
^^ because the prices for these older homes are still too high.

compared to:

empty LOT: approx $525000
custom built house: approx $350000
So your moving to Abbostford -Chilliwack area and planing on a small 2000sqft home?
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

no. 3500sq ft. around panorama ridge. abby/wack is way way way too far.

already found a few lots at the above price point in that area. just gotta do the planning/budgeting on building.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

already found a few lots at the above price point in that area. just gotta do the planning/budgeting on building.
Well I wish you good luck in your endevour, But i think you will be shocked at the expense. Even building flat on Grade with a average of $200-$250 a sqft finished decently is going to cost 800k plus. Land not included.

Now if your building to sell you can cheap out on materials , finishing and appliances and maybe a spend little less per Sq ft.

Good Luck
Urrtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urrtoast View Post
Well I wish you good luck in your endevour, But i think you will be shocked at the expense. Even building flat on Grade with a average of $200-$250 a sqft finished decently is going to cost 800k plus. Land not included.

Now if your building to sell you can cheap out on materials , finishing and appliances and maybe a spend little less per Sq ft.

Good Luck
I agree I did the research in this area for a $250 per sq. ft. gets you the bare basics nothing that i would say would make a custom home or nice to haves. by the time i looked at doing some upgrades in the master bedroom and in the kitchen it was over $350 per sq. ft. and most homes in the panorama area are in the upper 2000 sq. ft to lower 3000 sq. ft. which would put you in the $900,000 just for the home not including the land. i work in the construction industry and i included the deals that i would get from knowing ppl in the industry
bomboi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
if you cant be your own contractor, 200-250/sq ft is getting you the type of finishings you'd find in a 400k townhouse.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
I think there is a big price difference between white and brown builders. Manly white builders charging a lot more for similar stuff.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,038 Times in 2,075 Posts
Quote:

You're $/sqft is out to lunch man... sorry to say. Call some reputable builders and get some quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I think there is a big price difference between white and brown builders. Manly white builders charging a lot more for similar stuff.

You're right. There is a big difference and you get what you pay for... quality builds without cutting corners is much more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
You're $/sqft is out to lunch man... sorry to say. Call some reputable builders and get some quotes.

You're right. There is a big difference and you get what you pay for... quality builds without cutting corners is much more expensive.
Or it could be just over charging. 900k for 3000 sqft house seems overpriced to me from what I have seen.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #12
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
I am a commercial banker with a client who is a developer and is building 2 side by side houses at about 3500/sf each. I can tell you his budget is $225/sf for mid level finishings and he figures he is saving $25/sf by building two at once. Genuinely believe the market is paying $275-300/sf to have a reputable builder do a custom for you.

Mark
Old 04-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #13

Quote:

You think you can build a place for $100 a sq ft?!?
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Take into account the time it takes too..roughly 2 years from purchase to final inspection for me in Vancouver
Ugh so glad this shit is done

D-Built 2.0 LSVTEC TURBO
beatdownvictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

As someone who did major renos(over 200k) on their house after they bought it you'd be surprised how much everything can add up, especially if you or your partner have expensive taste.

A rough idea of what i spent on the stuff i can remember
19k on appliances
15k on custom cabinetry(kitchen/2 bathrooms)
1k kitchen backsplash
700 mirror and shower glass
5-6k vinyl flooring
2.3k tile
7k lighting
2k faucets/showers
1.5k door handles
1.7k toilets
600 bath tub
2.6k interior glass railing
3k ikea cabinetry

Nearly 60k of items using a designers discount(25% off most stuff), that doesn't include the costs to have them installed. There were also items like doors, furniture, window upgrades, baseboard trim, paint, and closet organizers that probably put it over 75k. I couldn't imagine 275k buying you the rest(excavation, foundation, wood, drywall, insulation, roof, electrical, heating, plumbing, siding, landscaping, permits, labour). I paid slightly over 1m for my house and the final cost was around 1.3m, got exactly what I wanted and didn't need to pay the 2m+ that new houses are going for in my area. Watch lots of reno shows and it might give you a better idea of what you can do. Also remember that it should be faster than building from scratch, so less time paying your mortgage and rent.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #16

good feedback all.... most likely will go ahead and buy NEW or less than 5yrs old house. budgeting around 1.2mil. ugh.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

I often work with people doing custom built house.
Not a single one of them didn't go over budget + months of delay.

<$200/sqft is perfectly do able if you are doing everything basic.
But to be honest, who would just do the most basic stuffs when you are building a custom house...

Most people i know are spending $30K-$100K on just the kitchen, $20K+ on the master ensuite.
A standard pre-fab stairs runs $3-5K, where else a custom ones with glass, metal stringer..etc could be 5-10x that amount

I am just saying, if you are budgeting for $200/sf, don't expect to get your "dream house" with all the styles and finish you like. ($300~ is usually a more realistic figure if you want to built everything to you liking)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Or it could be just over charging. 900k for 3000 sqft house seems overpriced to me from what I have seen.
Is it overcharging or paying a livable wage to employees which means having to charge more? No but seriously I do estimating and price construction projects for a living working for a what you would consider "white" contractor. I see where the numbers come in when the projects are complete and the margins we work are quite skinny, we typically do pay a lot more for labour and we offer things like benefits which does make it harder to be competitive in certain markets. I'm not saying there aren't brown builders out there that do good work because there are but there a lot more that as said above cut all kinds of corners. Typically speaking our quality of work is better but it does come at a premium.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Is it overcharging or paying a livable wage to employees which means having to charge more? No but seriously I do estimating and price construction projects for a living working for a what you would consider "white" contractor. I see where the numbers come in when the projects are complete and the margins we work are quite skinny, we typically do pay a lot more for labour and we offer things like benefits which does make it harder to be competitive in certain markets. I'm not saying there aren't brown builders out there that do good work because there are but there a lot more that as said above cut all kinds of corners. Typically speaking our quality of work is better but it does come at a premium.
travelers home warrantee, which is by far he best warrantee provider in the province only has about 1/5th of the EI builders under their coverage. It's not a race thing, it's a matter of claims and quality
Old 04-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #20
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,289 Times in 2,507 Posts
As a related question, what additional steps are required before/during the building process so that the finished house includes a legal and self-contained basement suite that can be rented out?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #21

Depends on which jurisdiction you're building entirely.

Vancouver now requires seperate central air, sprinklers, etc.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
This is RS where people are cheap as fuk.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:24 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As a related question, what additional steps are required before/during the building process so that the finished house includes a legal and self-contained basement suite that can be rented out?
For Vancouver, I had to fill in a few extra forms, apply for extra permits, pay fees, etc. Pretty confusing, but my general contractor and his architect managed that aspect for me. The architect was familiar with all the requirements and bylaws.

As for what the basement suite requires, there should be a document on the CoV website that outlines the major requirements (many of them fire-protection related).
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: